+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5838Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2442559;
    Ladies....where are your wedding dresses?? I remember throwing mine in the dumpster several years after my divorce. Geez.....Newf is more sentimental than I am??!! Thank goodness, my son didn't want to wear it!! (Nor did he see me throw it away!)
    Mine is hanging in the closet next to my mother's. Mine was not a gown, but a tea length lace dress. My mom's was a silk sheath dress, below the knee with a bolero jacket. I also have the dress my mom wore to my wedding. What in the heck I'm going to do with them I have no idea.
    I doubt my daughter would want to wear mine and no way would she ever fit into my mom's (mom weighed 99 pounds when she got married), but I thought that it might be nice to take both dresses and use them to make my daughter's dress when the time comes. If not, then I dont' know.

I also have my christening gown, my daughter's christening gown, her going home outfit, her first Christmas and Easter dresses and both flower girl dresses she wore. Why I'm keeping those is beyond me as well. I am a pack rat is probably why.

But hubby has his army field jacket and a shirt he wore in highschool that has a big mushroom painted on it. So I'm not the only one hanging on to crap.
    And he pulled a shirt out a couple months ago to wear and I said: do you realize I gave you that shirt our very first Christmas together, so that makes it 20 years old? He said: It's still a good shirt. (maybe, but a LOT out of style! )

Oh and I have my wedding cake topper, champagne toasting glasses, cake knife and server and my wedding bouquet still. My bouquet was silk and it still looks pretty good, so it's in a vase on the piano.

I probably need a good intervention to clean out my closets!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

The rental cakes are a good idea - they're only for show anyway. I got lucky, for my wedding I happened to meet an aprentice cake maker at the bookstore I was working at. She made my cake for me for $100!! And it was just gorgeous, exactly what I wanted. She wanted the experience and a picture for her portfolio. Not only did it look good it was delicous! I have more pictures of my cake than my husband
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;2442327;
    My old boss was planning (and paying for) her son's wedding and the mother of the bride told her about this practice. My boss came to work the next day and we spent weeks laughing at this idea. In fact, I just sent her that link and I'm pretty sure she'll still be laughing. I would be mortified to have a fake cake at my wedding. Plus, smaller cakes can be quite beautiful and they don't have to be expensive.
    Actually, I can only speak for the Italian community in Montreal, but it is very common for us to have the hall provide a fake cake, since the dessert is already included in the price of the meal per head. Most of the time, the dessert is much better than the cake would have been. Of course, it's not done out of financial interest, since Italian weddings are known to be pretty expensive (less than those in Toronto though!).

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2442559;
    Ladies....where are your wedding dresses?? I remember throwing mine in the dumpster several years after my divorce. Geez.....Newf is more sentimental than I am??!! Thank goodness, my son didn't want to wear it!! (Nor did he see me throw it away!)
    Mine is still hanging in the closet in the original garment bag it came in. When we first got married I couldn't afford the cost of having it cleaned and packed away in one of those fancy boxes. I'm kind of afraid to look in the bag now that almost 26 years have gone by. I don't have daughters either, but the style with all the drippy lace and long sleeves wouldn't fit in with today's styles anyway.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2442622;
    The rental cakes are a good idea - they're only for show anyway. I got lucky, for my wedding I happened to meet an aprentice cake maker at the bookstore I was working at. She made my cake for me for $100!! And it was just gorgeous, exactly what I wanted. She wanted the experience and a picture for her portfolio. Not only did it look good it was delicous! I have more pictures of my cake than my husband
    I am as I have the same pictures! I too got lucky on my cake and it was gorgeous. It was chocolate inside and this was before wedding cakes went all out and fancy with the inside, so when we cut it, you could hear everyone in the room say: IT'S CHOCOLATE!!! Like it was a big surprise. I guess it was.

I had an "australian" wedding cake and the chef that was on the boat we got married on, wanted to try to make one as he had never done it before, so I got mine for the same price you did and it was beautiful. I got married 18 years ago and I think that was right about the time that cakes and weddings and everything really started tipping the scales to the more expensive. Mine was not outrageous, but nice. We got married on a 2 deck paddlewheel boat that was used for dinner cruises. My parents were able to get a deal on it, so we had the whole boat, dinner, drinks, cake, table flowers and keyboard player for one price. I just had to get my dress, wedding party flowers and photographer. Easy. A friend did all the flowers and got them wholesale, so they weren't that expensive. The photographer was the most expensive, but I think it was worth it. I'd rather pay more for the photographer and food than anything else. And my brother performed the ceremony, so he was free.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2442626;
    Mine is still hanging in the closet in the original garment bag it came in. When we first got married I couldn't afford the cost of having it cleaned and packed away in one of those fancy boxes. I'm kind of afraid to look in the bag now that almost 26 years have gone by. I don't have daughters either, but the style with all the drippy lace and long sleeves wouldn't fit in with today's styles anyway.
    We know someone who had sons and so when their son had his first baby, his mom took her wedding dress and made it into a christening gown for the baby. I thought that was such a wonderful idea. She said, no one else is ever going to wear the dress, so I might as well use it and it will be a family heirloom one day.

That's one of the reasons, I considered offering my daughter mine and my mom's dresses when the time comes and see if she can use those. We have a friend that is a fashion designer (nothing big time, but she does work for a chain of clothing stores as their head designer) and were hoping she could take the 2 dresses and design something that would incorporate them into my daughter's dress. Of course, I have not discussed this with either my friend or my daughter, so who knows. And my daughter is only 16, so hopefully we have a while to go yet.
    Last edited by MRD; 06-16-2007 at 01:15 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Love the idea of the christening gown, however my dress did not hold fond memories!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 06-16-2007 at 02:37 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Marley! you're red!

I made my wedding dress myself .. I am not into frou-frou and frills so it was very simple, it is now folded up, in a box in the basement. I have no idea what kind of shape it's in. It is an ivory matte dutchess satin - maybe I'll make it into my daughter's first communion dress or something. Thanks for the idea!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

My dress (and veil) was cleaned and boxed up for about $300 by a cleaners that specializes in doing that. I think my silk bouquet is in there along with my shoes. I think its actually under my bed at my mom's house!

Even though I'm divorced, I love my wedding dress and wouldn't dream of throwing it away. I only have a son so I can't even pass it down to anyone but who knows after I'm dead and gone, my (hopefully) grandkids might want to see what ole granny wore when she got married to their grandpa!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

We were pretty lucky. An Amish lady did our wedding cake and it only cost us $120. It was $170, but we got a $50 refund when we returned the materials. It was beautiful, too. The icing was all basket weaved and it was delicious! I only paid $300 for my dress. It cost almost as much to have it preserved. We hired a caterer as our big splurge. They decorated the hall, had servers and used fancy table clothes and real china. We didn't have to lift a finger for any of it. Our DJ came highly recommended and he was horrible.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

My wedding dress...and I got attacked by a bird today!

I had it in my head that I would spend up to $1,000 for a wedding gown if I had to, but no more. But I ended up getting a gorgeous designer wedding dress for a couple hundred dollars. It retailed for $3,500 (!!) but I was pretty thin when I got married and was able to fit into a sample dress that they weren't going to display anymore. It fit perfectly and didn't need any alterations! Yay! I wanted to wear it for a couple more days, to tell you the truth! I loved it! But it was sent to the dry cleaners to be boxed up with my veil. It has a window so I can see that it hasn't yellowed, so I guess they did a good job! I have no children so I will have no one to pass the dress onto, unless one of my nieces wants to wear it...

And this has nothing to do with that but I got attacked by a bird today! I saw a bird and then in like a nanosecond later it was clawing at my head. I freaked out. My husband laughed when he heard me scream 'cause he hadn't realized it had made contact--he thought it was just swooping above me.

+ Reply to Thread