+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13
    When I graduated, they paused between graduates for the very purpose of picture taking and cheers. It was mentioned at the beginning of the ceremony that they would hand signal the next graduate and when that student started walking across the stage, then it was a signal to end applause and cheers.
    How large was your class?

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;2428601;
    Waiting to annouce the next name while the applause dies down is a great idea. Withholding the students diploma was not appropriate.
    Waiting to announce the next name while the applause dies down is a great idea?

Having sat through a high school graduation of 532 kids where excessive cheering was allowed, and a college graduation (split up by department) of 2,500 while excessive cheering was not, I can tell you that the latter went much quicker and smoother than the former.

Graduation ceremonies are painful to endure, at best. I cannot imagine how long it would take if each student's family was allowed to act outrageous and disruptive. They weren't requesting that families not clap, simply that they not make an extreme display to the point it was disruptive. These students and families were instructed beforehand and warned of the consequences. Shame on them for not abiding by the request.
    Last edited by Broadway; 06-03-2007 at 03:50 PM.

The students are still considered graduates from the school, which will be reflected on their transcripts. The physical diploma, however, is being withheld by the district.

Bill Morris, owner of Video Media Productions, is hired each year by the school to videotape the graduation ceremony.

Morris said there was no over-the-top yelling when the student's names were called and the cheers that were heard didn't last long.

"There was just brief acknowledgment of the joy of the graduates that didn't infringe on the name of the next person being called," Morris said. "It was four second outbursts at the most."

In an effort to resolve the situation, Kelley, Trent and their families met Thursday and Friday with Denisar, Galesburg High School Principal Tom Chiles and Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum Joel Estes.

Administrators offered Friday to give back the diplomas if they received a telephone apology, even if it is anonymous, family members said.

Mothers Valeria Trent and Pam Kelley said it wasn't them making the noise and added it's ridiculous to assume a stranger will call in.

A resolution wasn't reached Friday, and the groups will meet again at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday.

PJStar.com - Journal Star News

At my hs graduation, i recall the students making more noise then those in the background. But no one got punished for it, no on needed to be punished(it was the second to last day anyway). It was a culmination of the 4 yrs we spent there.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

How large was your class?

Premium Member

My sons both graduated with classes of about 250 kids. It wasn't that bad. By the time the kids walked across the stage the cheering died down and the next name was called. It didn't seem "excessive" at all and it didn't prolong the ceremony.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Ahh...if it was me.....I could do without my physical diploma as long as it didn't reflect on my transcripts!!

I say cheer away....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2428817;
    Ahh...if it was me.....I could do without my physical diploma as long as it didn't reflect on my transcripts!!

I say cheer away....
    I doubt that I could find my HS or college diploma with anything less than a week's notice. And maybe a bloodhound.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Are the Newf's noses no good?

I'll change the subject entirely here, to "I'm so Stupid", which I think was consolidated into here.

I flipped on Animal Planet, and there was a show on where there were a bunch of guys out on a ship looking for this huge shark...it came on the screen and I absolutely could not believe the size of this creature! Now, I'm not one of those who is usually fazed by anything like that, but it was so amazing I called my fella and told him, "Hurry! Turn on Animal Planet...you are not going to believe the size of this shark!"
    The host was explaining that it was a huge prehistoric shark, but they had found out they still existed....
    It took me till the next segment of the program, wherein they encountered a sea dinosaur, to realize that all the animals were computer generated and they were only pretending to actually study them. Of course L waited for me to call him back an admit being fooled, he knew what was up the whole time!

Do we have a dunce cap smilie somewhere that I can't find?
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

How about a ?

Queenie, I won't pass judgment because I certainly have my moments, but damn that's funny.

Our daughter's graduating class in 2005 was 960 (yes you read that right, and the following year a new high school opened). Because of that there was no time for pausing, and some relatives were louder than others, but I never thought anyone suffered because of it.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

I Is Stephanie

Well then, I'm not going to tell you all that my graduating class is at 61 right now, and next year will be around 57....That is, of course, assuming that no one else decides to leave...yeah, it's a small school.

But I can see where it might be noticable that some people got a ton of cheers, and others got next to none, and I can imagine that being a horrible memory someday--the kid who got no cheers.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

+ Reply to Thread