+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6435Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I don't know. Maybe I'm just old fashioned. But whatever happened to courtsey and respect? The golden rule? It is all the "This is my kid and he/she deserves applause" Well every single kid up there deserves it too. Why can't you wait until ceremony is over? Which brings up another point.

a letter to the editor (in my local paper) was someone saying that many people left the ceremony as soon as their kid got his diploma. Blocking people's view/camera angles in order to exit.

This falls under the whole "cell phone in the movie theatre" lack of respect for others that just sucks about our society now.

It is really too bad the school's choice was to punish the graduate. What should have been a memorable day was marred by this. If you ask the audience to hold their applause why can't people respect that?
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I wonder how the students were supposed to control the audience?
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

I heard of this, i think nonsense like this happens when you give an idiot the responsibility of watching the red button.

eta: Steph, i still think that girl is lying. if you're full of it and obnoxious, MTV wont say no to you. Her parents just said no.
    Also, i hope your friend isn't mistaking talking on a site for an actual conversation. At any rate, he's better off.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I'm not sure if it was here locally or if my mom just happened to catch it on the news but there were high schools that were banning the students from throwing their caps in the air after the ceremony.

I'm sorry...I'm with Leo on this one....I don't get why you have to punish a student because their family members clapped or WOO HOO'd when they walked across the stage.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2428164;
    I'm sorry...I'm with Leo on this one....I don't get why you have to punish a student because their family members clapped or WOO HOO'd when they walked across the stage.
    I'm with Leo, too. As a parent, you raise your kids and see them through thick and thin all the way through high school. Their success is your success. Cheering for them on the most important day of their life is an expression of your pride, your joy and your love. It's not disrespectful if the school knows how to run the ceremony right. I cheered as loud as I could for both my sons, everybody did. Each time they awarded a diploma, they waited to announce the next name until that graduate had their photo taken, walked across to the other end and left the stage. That time on the stage was their time to drink in the moment they had worked so hard to achieve, and the cheering was expected and welcome. Now the beach balls and silly string that the graduates smuggled in - that's another story.

Now I agree that air horns should be banned from such events - that is disrespectful not to mention obnoxious and stupid. But how in the world are the kids supposed to control the people in the audience anyway? Punishing them so severely for something they had no control over is just not right.

I Is Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;2428103;
    Also, i hope your friend isn't mistaking talking on a site for an actual conversation. At any rate, he's better off.
    Well, he invited her to prom last year, and she said yes, but her parents wouldn't let her go. He asked again this year, and they took hours to plan out their own Craig/Tiff after-prom party--just the two of them.

That diploma thing sounds crazy. IT seems like punishing the student for somehitng they didn't do...? I don't know, but from this angle, it just doesn't seem right. I don't know the whole story, nor was I there, but it doesn't add up...
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

When I graduated, they paused between graduates for the very purpose of picture taking and cheers. It was mentioned at the beginning of the ceremony that they would hand signal the next graduate and when that student started walking across the stage, then it was a signal to end applause and cheers. It worked pretty well. The only time it went overboard was when a popular jock recieved his diploma. He almost didn't make it...lol. I guess they loaded him up with extra credit the last few weeks of school. He was a nice guy to every clique, so we all went wild when his name was called.

I'm with Leo and Marleybone. My son will be a senior next year and by gosh...I plan to cheer my lungs out. Not only is it his accomplishment, but mine as a parents, as well.

I have to weigh in on the whole graudation thing, as my baby (sniff sniff ) just graduated two nights ago.

They made an annoucement at the beginning of the ceremony, and it was also posted in the program which said, "The commencement ceremony is a special dignified event for graduating seniors and their families and guests. Appropriate behavior is expected of every person participating in and attending the ceremony." They then went on to state that applause and limited cheering was fine, but that loud, extended cheering would keep the next persons name from being heard, and that every family member and/or guest had the right to hear their kid's name being called.

Do you think that statement really stopped anything? Of course not. It really was annoying when some groups of family and friends (I'm not talking just a handful of family members but rows and rows of them) would stand up and cheer well past their student getting their diploma, walking across the stage, and back down into their seating section, which, of course, did keep other names from being heard.

I was just as excited to see my daughter graduate - and like Katgib13 said - I wanted to clap and cheer - which I did. But it's not that hard to act like an adult and clap and cheer appropriately, and then show enough respect to the other people around you to stop. Well, I thought it wasn't that hard, but obviously that proved to be too difficult of a task for some that evening.

Still, my baby graduated! Her next step? She leaves for boot camp at the end of the month. Great . . . now I'm sobbing again - I'm gonna miss her!
    Last edited by chrelsey; 06-03-2007 at 09:48 AM.
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

Appropriately is the key word here as chrelsey mentioned. I also like katgib13 response. And Marleybone. Waiting to annouce the next name while the applause dies down is a great idea. Withholding the students diploma was not appropriate.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I have been to a few grads, and because of space limitations, usually there are no more than 10 family members, so it has never been an issue. Always, we have been asked to hold our applause until the end, and always there is a smattering of polite applause or a cheer given for each grad. In the long run, it has never been an issue, and not loud enough to slow down the ceremony. Do you (and I mean people in general) think that today's society is always trying to make mountains out of molehills? There are always going to be a couple of yahoos that misbehave, but not so many that they should squash the joy out of grad, IMO.

+ Reply to Thread