+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6170Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Well.. I stopped partying a few months before I became pregnant and started taking prenatal vitamins and readied my body for conception. I didn't wait until after I found out to put a stop to my wild ways. Does that make me a better parent than you?? Absolutely not!
    What I am trying to convey is that people come from all walks of life and nothing is black and white especially parenting.
    [mod edit] Like Rosie my opinoins are my own but I am coming at this from a totally different angle than you are [mod edit] Not only in the neice's case but for all moms.
    We are all so quick to jump to judgement. If you see a big kid in a stroller we assume the parents are lazy, not that the child is a runner and a stroller is better than a harness. If we see a child throwing a tantrum or crying uncontrollably we immediately judge the parent.
    Understanding goes a long way. With that said and the additional information that livin4 has shared it seems that this girl is officially in over her head. I hope you can convince her to get herself some help livin4. It must be awfully difficult to watch her going through this.
    Last edited by Mariner; 05-31-2007 at 01:35 PM.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2425760;
    Having the occasional drink or even going out to a wedding and having more than a couple of drinks does not make you a bad parent. But a lifestyle of doing this and being irresponsible enough to have your 2 year old with you while you get high is another thing all together.

Yes, this girl needs the support of her family. But she apparantly has some issues that need to be dealt with. Perhaps its time the family did an intervention of some kind.
    Wouldn't it be nice if we could all inflict our moral compass on everyone else??

The girl went out and got high when the baby was in her father's custody and called to check up on the baby. Seems to me that an irresponsible, good for nothing, piece of crap parent that you describe wouldn't be the type that would call and check up on the baby, would they? Sure, getting high with the 2yr old present isn't exactly a fabulous thing, but that also doesn't support the immediate rush to judgment that was heaped on the poor girl prior to that little tidbit having been shared. And, in my opinion, it doesn't even support it even if that tidbit had been shared to begin with. I know several people that smoke pot for recreation and are still wonderfully responsible parents with well developed, intelligent kids. And I am certain there are innumerous other examples out there.

Instead of bashing the freaking girl for having the audacity to get high when she had a night to herself (), I'd instead focus on the fact that the girl is suffering from depression and some form of personality disorder. Is she getting treatment for those issues, livin4reality??? Sounds like this twenty-three year old has probably suffered enough negative feedback in her life and she needs to get a bit of self-esteem developed before she's ever going to get her life in order.
    Last edited by Broadway; 05-31-2007 at 01:22 PM.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2426017;
    Wouldn't it be nice if we could all inflict our moral compass on everyone else??

I don't know, seems that an awful lot of our politicans like to do this and a few media savvy Christian groups as well.

I'm glad I have a moral compass and I wish more people did. Then some of this mess (child abuse, neglect, pedaphila, domestic abuse and the list goes on) that has to be dealt with wouldn't exist.
    I'm not perfect, far from it. But I do feel that I've been a pretty good parent.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by 11sstephanie;2422165;
    Now I'm sure that I posted this back in the peeves thread, but since it's gone onto wherever it is that the dead threads go to, I'll post it again.
    Stephanie, the Pet Peeves thread was merged with this one awhile back. It was so we all wouldn't have to worry about staying on topic, so you are in the right place.

I Is Stephanie

Oh, I know Marley, but it's back about 4 pages now, so I doubt that many people read it.

As for livin4reality's neice, to inject my adolecent opinion, I don't think that what she's doing is right, but then, I don't think that it's totally wrong either. I mean, getting high when you have to care for the child isdefinitely not in the little one's est interests. But at the same time, while this is proably unintentional, it will definitely be a test to see how involved the fater is actually willing to get.

I know a lot of people who do drugs, (not me, NOT me) and what I see is there being 2 ways that one can go about doing them. There's the one that everyone automatically assumes, that you spend your whole day doing them, and you never think about anything or anyone else. The other one is slightly better, (still illegal, but yeah...) where you only use them when you're really stressed out and need to escape. I say that if the baby's only a week or 2 old, maybe she's trying to get away from the stress of motherhood. Not saying it's responsible, nor am I saying that I condone it, but I personally would give her a few weeks, and if she's still...erhum...having fun every night, then start to see it as a major issue. I mean, it's a minor issue right now, but she could be doing so much worse, like not coming back at all.

Again, just my (probably unnecessary) adolecent opinion.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

Quote Originally Posted by 11sstephanie;2426399;
    As for livin4reality's neice, to inject my adolecent opinion, I don't think that what she's doing is right, but then, I don't think that it's totally wrong either. I mean, getting high when you have to care for the child isdefinitely not in the little one's est interests. But at the same time, while this is proably unintentional, it will definitely be a test to see how involved the fater is actually willing to get.

It is interesting that you thought of this. She told her Dad that all this time she has been hoping they would get back together. She is/was? on anti-depressents. And seeing someone. Apparently her type of disorder is difficult to treat and finding someone in the area they live in has been a problem. The current doc is not working out.

I didn't mean to cause a disruption here. Everyone has very valid points to make. Thanks for the support and a big
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2425710;
    You know, I think that when people pay for a class and then don't show up, I think they should be counted as 'present' (though invisible), and the class should go on, out of respect for the people who are there. I think that's more about the instructor's ego than the people who paid AND showed up, especially if someone drove 300 miles to be there.
    My school automatically drops you from the class if you miss 4 classes. Why somebody would pay more than $1000 for a class a quarter and not show up to each class is beyond me.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Ugh! It's so hot and sticky here today ... well by Sudbury standards anyway. It was up to 93 yesterday with 80% humidity. Very umcomfortable for us. Thank goodness I have A/C but my kids look like heck today they are all limp.

Superbrat I don't know anyone who has that kind of money to waste!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBrat;2426885;
    My school automatically drops you from the class if you miss 4 classes. Why somebody would pay more than $1000 for a class a quarter and not show up to each class is beyond me.
    That's the same question I ask myself every day in my current MBA class. Two women that I was lucky enough to get saddled with on my Learning Team both have paid close to $2000 for the class but rarely participate in required classroom discussions. They also submit very poor portions for our team papers that show a complete lack of understanding of the materials (and of grammar, for that matter.) One has submitted sections that have been completely plagiarized from online articles.

Why would you waste your money and then not put in SOME kind of effort? All I can think is that they're not the ones paying.

I guess it depends on who's money it is. If it isn't coming directly out of your pocket it might not be as significant. College kids do it all the time. Granted they are 19 not ..um... grown ups

+ Reply to Thread