+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6256Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. They're currently in the sink soaking in vinegar. I had an old bottle of vinegar that was destined for the trash, so I figured I try that first. If it doesn't work, I'll go for the baking soda, which I'll probably have to buy since I'm not sure I have any in the house. I know - my mother would be scandalized!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2409226;
    Or you could get new ice cube trays. They're cheap.
    They'd have to be FREE for me to afford them. I'm BAH-roke! Plus, they're nice ice trays, so I'd like to be able to salvage them. It'd be different if they were crummy and all cracked, but they're actually quite nice ones....you know, as ice cube trays go.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2409233;
    They'd have to be FREE for me to afford them. I'm BAH-roke!
    Love your use of "bah-roke" here, Crit, since I like to say "fuh-reaking" out, as in, "she was fuh-reaking out on me."

So. This was so strange I just had to share.

I'm happily running around in the World of Warcraft. At the level I play, it's not unusual for other players to stop me and ask for all manner of things, such as money or assistance, or to try and sell me something. You've probably heard about this even if you don't play.

I'm riding my warhorse through an area populated by lower-level players, and this always attracts attention. I suddenly get a private message in my chat window, "Hey, read Twilight."

I'm taken aback, as this is not your usual private message in WoW. Not understanding, I reply, "Excuse me? I'm not much of a Dean Koontz fan."

She continues, "Dean Koontz? No, read Twilight and the second book, New Moon. I'm telling everybody."

I finally understand and start laughing. "Actually," I tell her, "I've met the author. She's a wonderful person and a very talented writer."

As I expected, the reply comes, "REALLY????" Then: "Can you ask her what happens next?? Please, I need to know!"

Too strange not to share.

(Note: In case you didn't know, the author of those two books is someone near and dear to the hearts of many on this site.)
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;2408759;
    Peeve: Crappy manufacturing. I finally decided to overcome my fear of sewing machines. I buy a Singer and it seems to work OK the first time I try it out. Then I actually set out to sew something, and the freakin' thing breaks. It's either a gear or the timing belt. I have to take the damn thing in & it's going to be 2-3 weeks until it's fixed and the authorized repair guy give me a hard time. I'm ready to chuck the whole thing in the trash and forget about it. Or sue Singer. Or both. Grrr....
    I had my grandmother's singer for YEARS. It was ancient and worked great before it finally broke and there were no parts for it available anymore. I bought another singer and it was CRAP. Now I have a Baby Lock that works GREAT. Singer now comes out of Japan as that was where they were going to have to send mine to get it fixed to the tune of over $200, so I said, to heck with it and bought the Baby Lock for what it was going to take the 5 year old singer to get fixed AND a 6 month wait for it to go to Japan and back. Singer is NOT what it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by phat32;2409277;
    Love your use of "bah-roke" here, Crit, since I like to say "fuh-reaking" out, as in, "she was fuh-reaking out on me."

So. This was so strange I just had to share.

I'm happily running around in the World of Warcraft. At the level I play, it's not unusual for other players to stop me and ask for all manner of things, such as money or assistance, or to try and sell me something. You've probably heard about this even if you don't play.

I'm riding my warhorse through an area populated by lower-level players, and this always attracts attention. I suddenly get a private message in my chat window, "Hey, read Twilight."

I'm taken aback, as this is not your usual private message in WoW. Not understanding, I reply, "Excuse me? I'm not much of a Dean Koontz fan."

She continues, "Dean Koontz? No, read Twilight and the second book, New Moon. I'm telling everybody."

I finally understand and start laughing. "Actually," I tell her, "I've met the author. She's a wonderful person and a very talented writer."

As I expected, the reply comes, "REALLY????" Then: "Can you ask her what happens next?? Please, I need to know!"

Too strange not to share.

(Note: In case you didn't know, the author of those two books is someone near and dear to the hearts of many on this site.)
    Apparantly I am not in the loop. Who? Who is it??? Now I want to read those. Off to the library website to request some books.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Wow phat, that was random! I'll admit that I still have not read New Moon. I have it sitting on a shelf in my living room and I've been waiting until school is out to pick it up since I know it'll suck me in and I'll be useless until I finish it! You're right, the author is definitely special to many of us around here

Ice cube tray update: The vinegar didn't work all that well. I switched to baking soda (found a box in the pantry - aka, The Black Hole) and it didn't work. They're now in the sink soaking in bleach. Hell, if it doesn't work, at least I cleaned the sink! I guess might be headed out to buy new ice cube trays tomorrow.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Critical, sorry the baking soda didn't work. Well, if it is any consolation, the last time I bought ice cube trays, I found them at the everything-is-a-dollar store. I think I got 2 for a buck, and they were the nice, flexible kind.

I just got done sending a bitchy e-mail to a gubernatorial campaign. These campaign morons stuck a flier to my door and totally screwed up the finish on the door because the sticky bit was waaaay too sticky--it was more like glue. Oh yeah, like I'm going to vote for some moron who is going to mess with my house.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2409620;
    Apparantly I am not in the loop. Who? Who is it??? Now I want to read those. Off to the library website to request some books.

I'm out of the loop too myrosiedog......anyone want to spill the beans?
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I'm going to go the whole day now wondering who our famous author is - the computer system at work is messed up. Somebody PM me if it can't be posted, please!
    Count your blessings!

Sorry to double-post, but I didn't get back from Amazon in time to edit. Wow. Those books got RAVE reviews and the 3rd in the trilogy comes out this August.
    Count your blessings!

Those are some good reviews for those books. But I am still puzzled as to the near & dear to our heart at FORT thingee..
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I won't give it away as the evolving of the first title "Twilight" take place in this thread:

Is everyone at the FORT a writer? Otherwise known as: Secret ambitions

Currently on page 35 of this forum.

+ Reply to Thread