+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6435Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I once had a boyfriend who worked construction outside in South Carolina one summer. He did pass out one day from heat exhaustion. So do tell your son to be careful if he takes that job.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I would have to say it's the cell phone I can't live without. I have two teenage sons and the cell phone is great because I can keep in touch with them when they aren't home. I'm a worry wart when it comes to the boys and I like knowing I can keep track of them..

I've put 13 minutes of use on my cell phone in the last three months. I think that I could give it up without going through withdrawal
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I almost had to go into rehab when my computer had to be admitted to the hospital (shop) a couple of years ago. It was gone for about a week and a half. I had become so accustomed to getting any info I needed (like phone numbers) from it that it was a rough period. I was shocked at my frustration! I also would be bothered by not having my cell phone, but much less so. I've had one for years, but I've never let it be the boss of me. It is not unusual for me not to answer my phone. I'll return a call when I feel like it, much to my son's annoyance. I've found that most of the calls are not urgent and can wait. I'm sure this comes from being on a job where phone calls usually brought stupid, unimportant b.s. on a regular basis. If someone leaves me a message, I will review it as soon as I can, so it pays to leave me a message. I also leave it in "drive mode" so that I can hear the number that the call is coming from....I will also forward my home phone to my cell if I am expecting an important call. Bottom line...it's my decision...my control. (OK, so maybe there's a little control freak in me.)

About working in hot weather, one more thing...remember (and I'm sure most of you know this) add a little more salt to your food to help avoid the shakes, the cramps, and the twitches (ala Newf). That is no party!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I just called a store to ask some questions. She said that the man in charge would be back tomorrow, so she asked if he could call me. I said sure, but I would not be home the entire time. So she asked if I had a cell phone. While I do have a cell phone, my activities tomorrow (in my world of unemployment) includes going to the gym and having a driving lesson, both during which I can't answer my phone.

I like having "time off" from my phone. If I'm at the gym I won't bring my phone because I know I won't answer it. And sometimes it's just plain rude to answer, even if it is possible (I hate it when I do something with just one person and they answer their phone to just talk to someone. It makes me feel less interesting)

But I'm not a big caller either. I use a refil card, bought it two years ago, filled it with approx. $45 and I still haven't used it all. And I use the most expensive carrier.

Cell phones are good, but sometimes I just need a break from them!

Count me as another cell phone-dependent person Of course, I don't have a land line (found I didn't use it), so the cell is my only phone. That being said, I rarely, if ever, answer it when driving, I don't answer it when I'm out with a friend or on a date and I do screen my calls. I'm also not one to have big conversations on my cell in public. I hate hearing so many personal details about the lives of total strangers while they talk on their cell phones - I'm not about to become one of those people! It took me many years to give myself permission to not answer the phone. That's what voice mail is for and if they don't leave a message then it must not be that important.

I couldn't do without a microwave or a computer either. Oddly enough, I don't have a working TV right now and I find that, with shows being aired online, I don't really miss it all that much. It has definitely cut down on the time I normally spend just channel surfing or watching some movie I've seen 500 times already.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I have a cell phone that I've put about ten minutes on in the two years I've owned it, but I keep it so I don't have to keep track of Mr. Rattus when we're out and about (he can go look at CDs for an hour, I can go wandering other places). And he is the only person with my number, and his work and I are the only people with his number because neither of us want to be cell-phoneys.

And modern conveniences? I could live without the microwave, the computer, any of those little music playing devices - the only thing I would really miss is Post-it notes. I don't know how I ever got through a day without attaching an opinion or a directive to something.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2362732;
    Damn, I thought my dad was the only parent who did that. My brother and I still laugh about that. My dad never even bought a TV with a remote until my brother and I were both grown and weren't as handy for channel-changing.

MRD, do they still sell that Jiffy Pop stuff where you live? My parents also didn't believe in those new-fangled microwave things until about 5 years ago, so we were a Jiffy Pop family. Haven't seen one of those things since Drew Barrymore used one in Scream, though.
    We actually did some jiffy pop a couple months ago. My daughter had never had one, so we bought some. I remember them tasting better and being bigger. This was tiny! Aw, the burnt bottom, what a fond jiffy pop memory!

So am I the ONLY one without a cell phone? I have had one, I never turned it on, so everyone would get mad at me. Hey, it was for MY convenience not theirs. It didn't justify the cost so I got rid of it. I love not having one, but I do get strange looks when people ask for my cell and I don't have one.

I couldn't live without my computer either. I do so much on it. Besides looking up phone numbers, I do a LOT of reading. I love looking stuff up that sounds interesting to me. It's like having the library at my fingertips for research.
    I also read my news on the computer. And get up to date weather forecasts.

And I do a lot of writing on it. Plus my email and FORT time!

I could live without the tv or microwave if I had too (have had to recently with the microwave. Yeah, I miss it, but I could live without it)
    I also need my music. Cannot live without music. It's a vital part of me.
    Last edited by MRD; 05-02-2007 at 04:01 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quick question on a completely different topic - tax refunds...

Okay, I filed for the last three years (2004/2005/2006) this year, with refunds due to me all three years. I know, I know - why the heck didn't I file them when they were due? All I can say is that I'm a lazy butt. I knew I didn't owe, and I just never felt compelled to get my refunds.

Well this year I needed it, so I filed all three years. I couldn't e-file because they were delinquent, so I had to mail them in. I did on 4/11. I already got the refund for 2006 deposited in my bank account, but the other two are no where to be seen... And when I go online to the IRS site to do their "Where's my Refund" thing, it doesn't give any info at all for these other two years. I called, same deal.

The lady who did my taxes said they usually send out refunds all together on things like that, but that it may be spilt by yaer, especially if they're checking it... but if there was a mistake or something I should get notice in the mail. Also, since I already got 2006, there obviously isn't a prob w/2004/2005 because they would hold 2006 until they had those cleared.

The website says to wait a full 6 weeks for items mailed in, but I am nervous and my pessimistic nature says I'll never see a penny of that money now...

Anyone else been through anything at all like this? Or do you have a suggestion on who I can contact to ask? My tax lady is no help at all, and says to call IRS.

If you filed 3 years after not filing for 2 years, they probably red flagged you even if you didn't owe money, because taxes have to be filed whether you owe or not. They are most likely checking the last 2 years a bit more intense.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread