+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5671Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

I Is Stephanie

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2361031;
    I don't have a TV Guide banner--is it something that my pop-up blocker is taking care of , or am I being left out?

Yeah, you're being left out. Not that that's a bad thing though--danged thing randomly comes down on me, even when my mouse is no where near it! It's the little black box above the Fans Of Reality TV sign at the top of the page...Introducing TV Guide.com's new TV Guide ONLINE VIDEO GUIDE -->See how fast and easy it is! Rollover now

I swear, if that thing comes down one more time I am going to hurt someone...most likely the person who came up with the concpet of roll-over ads.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

MRD

Our microwave died 2 days ago. I honestly cannot believe how dependent I have become on having a microwave and how much I took that appliance for granted until it was gone. I just find it very thought provoking that my mother and grandmother never had one until I was a teenager and how before having one, actually using the stove/oven was what people did.

I have actually had to go back to using my stove to heat water/leftovers, etc.
    I am really lost without being able to make popcorn.

Makes you wonder what the world would do if we went back to a time before microwaves, cell phones and remotes for the tv and remote locks for our cars. HOW DID WE DO IT????

What one modern convenience would you NOT be able to live without? And why?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

You can make popcorn on the stove, Myrosiedog. We always did when I was growing up, and I still think it tastes better, although microwave IS convenient.

You just buy a bag of popcorn kernels at the grocery store. Use a tallish pot with a lid and a handle, put in just enough oil to coat the bottom, and pour in some popcorn and a bit of salt (if you want). Turn the eye to high and let it sit there, giving it a shake every now and then, till it starts to pop, then shake it continuously right over the heat, as close as you can get.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

We had a stove top pan Lucy. It had a stir thingy on the lid that you turned to stir the kernels as they popped. I thought it was so cool.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2362464;
    You can make popcorn on the stove, Myrosiedog. We always did when I was growing up, and I still think it tastes better, although microwave IS convenient.

You just buy a bag of popcorn kernels at the grocery store. Use a tallish pot with a lid and a handle, put in just enough oil to coat the bottom, and pour in some popcorn and a bit of salt (if you want). Turn the eye to high and let it sit there, giving it a shake every now and then, till it starts to pop, then shake it continuously right over the heat, as close as you can get.
    Oh, I know, that's how we always did it when I was growing up too. But since having a microwave, it was also just SO convenient to use that.

I was just posting my observations on how we come to rely on things and when they break, how lost we seem to become. It's hard to go back to the old ways.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2362459;
    Our microwave died 2 days ago. I honestly cannot believe how dependent I have become on having a microwave and how much I took that appliance for granted until it was gone. I just find it very thought provoking that my mother and grandmother never had one until I was a teenager and how before having one, actually using the stove/oven was what people did.

I have actually had to go back to using my stove to heat water/leftovers, etc.
    I am really lost without being able to make popcorn.

Makes you wonder what the world would do if we went back to a time before microwaves, cell phones and remotes for the tv and remote locks for our cars. HOW DID WE DO IT????

What one modern convenience would you NOT be able to live without? And why?

My DH told me how his Dad would call him in from playing outside to change the channel for him. AND if it wasn't a show he wanted to watch, stand there flipping the dial until he found one.

One modern convenience I could do without is cell phones. I hate them with a passion. I don't want to be on call to everyone 24/7. They are good for emergency's though.

I'm really torn about letting DS work construction all summer. 90 degrees here is a cool day. It gets to around 100 normally with intense humidity. The kind of humidity where the air feels like soup. DS nickname in elementary was "Albino". Maybe part-time if they have that.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;2362481;
    I'm really torn about letting DS work construction all summer. 90 degrees here is a cool day. It gets to around 100 normally with intense humidity. The kind of humidity where the air feels like soup. DS nickname in elementary was "Albino". Maybe part-time if they have that.
    If your son is in pretty good physical condition to begin with, and if he is willing to use his head, he can probably manage. He needs to protect himself from the sun as much as possible, to drink plenty of liquids (especially water), and to PACE HIMSELF. I can't over-emphasize that enough. I've seen it a dozen times--some young eager-beaver wants to prove himself but ends up sucking wind before lunch. Heck, I did it in my early days of surveying. It was August, and we were doing some topographic mapping along a proposed sewer corridor. We were pushing hard to meet some arbitrary deadline, so ten hour work days were the norm. Most of the corridor was pasture, but we hit a field that was full of over-the-head wild sunflowers, and we had to clear line through it. As low man on the totem, I was the one swinging the machete. I survived the day, but I woke up in the middle of the night with every muscle in my body trembling uncontrollably. It was not a comfortable feeling.

Since kids don't listen to "when I was your age" stories but have an infinite capacity for jokes, I tell new employees the Parable of the Bulls. An older bull and a younger bull are in one field; the cows are in another. Young bull sees that the gate between the pastures is open, and says, "Let's run down there and *ahem, keep it PG!* service some of them. Old bull says, "Let's walk down, and service them ALL!"
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

CCL

One modern convenience I could do without is cell phones. I hate them with a passion. I don't want to be on call to everyone 24/7. They are good for emergency's though.
    Totally agree. I don't want to be "on call" every single minute of the day. And half the time when you overhear someone's cell conversation they are having the most inane conversations about nothing. It's like they have a cell phone so they feel they need to use it constantly!
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

MRD

My DH told me how his Dad would call him in from playing outside to change the channel for him. AND if it wasn't a show he wanted to watch, stand there flipping the dial until he found one.

I don't have a cell phone and everyone thinks I'm strange. I am like you, I don't want to be on call to everyone 24/7.

about the channel changing. Talk about having a good remote!

My husband started working construction when he was 22. He has worked most of his life in Florida where the heat and humidity are brutal about 9 months out of the year. Where you walk out of the house and it feels like someone is smothering you in a wet blanket. He says you adjust to it. I know some days he would come home soaked in sweat, but he and many, many, many others do it on a daily basis. Since Florida has BOOMED in the last 20 years, thousands of construction workers work in that heat and humidity daily. As long as you keep hydrated and know the signs of heat stroke and take care of it before it happens.... well, let me put it this way, my husband is good about keeping his crew well taken care of. Supplying water, gatoraid and making them take breaks. During the really hot months in Florida, they would work starting at 7 am and finish by 3. Up here, it seems to be later starting hours. But he wants to get done so he isn't spending as many hours working the hottest part of the day.

I understand your concern about your son. But believe me, a LOT of people work in those conditions and do fine. Would I want to do it? Heck no!
    But its one of the few jobs that pay a decent wage to unskilled labor.

Damn, I thought my dad was the only parent who did that. My brother and I still laugh about that. My dad never even bought a TV with a remote until my brother and I were both grown and weren't as handy for channel-changing.

MRD, do they still sell that Jiffy Pop stuff where you live? My parents also didn't believe in those new-fangled microwave things until about 5 years ago, so we were a Jiffy Pop family. Haven't seen one of those things since Drew Barrymore used one in Scream, though.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread