+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6938Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2358935;
    At this point, I would be happy to trade you!
    Done! You tell me the time and place.

Here in Kansas, we went from a hard freeze a few weeks ago (21 degrees) to 90 today. Furnace to A/C in one week. Lost all of our lovely spring flowers and looks like there won't be any fruit tree bearing this year either.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;2358665;
    My 16 year old is looking for his first job. A friend offered to get him on working as a construction laborer. I don't know about that. 8 hours a day out in the sun. I flash back to all those slatherings of sun block on his fair skin...somehow I can't see him carrying a tube with him to the job site.
    You are right to be concerned--that Kansas sun is a beast. I've worked outside most of my adult life (over a quarter-century here in Kansas), and it really shows on my hands. Fortunately, I had the good sense right from the beginning to wear a cap and long sleeves, even in the summer. It draws strange looks, but the skin on my arms is in great shape. I've worked with people who have taken far fewer precautions, and they have paid a price. The skin on my partner's forearms is becoming like shoe leather (I've offered her some of my baby-smooth skin, for a hefty price ), and one former employee with whom I've kept in contact has had small patches of skin cancer removed every couple of years, starting less than 10 years after he started working outside.

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13
    I thrive in the heat. I'm like a cactus or something. I hibernate all winter and then in the summer I wake up, stretch and start living again. I spend a lot of days pool side with my children, so that may explain why I like it hot.
    I'm the same way, except the part about the pool. I love it when the temperature reaches 100
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm sure the TV Guide banner at the top of the pages is very valuable, but it is driving me crazy!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

well, I blew out my flip flop in the front yard, and seem to have sprained my wrist. got it wrapped and ice on it. another duh.
    I was wearing some flip flops with like a 2 inch sole - and just slipped out from under me.
    I have thrown them away now.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;2358665;
    Just to add onto the teens working:

A good job in food service for them is in the dietary dept. of your local hospital. I was a supervisor there and we were always looking for part-time workers. The shift during the week was 2-7:30 or 4:30-7:30. I'm sure it varies from hospital to hospital, but it usually pays a bit more than fast food and is less intense too.

My 16 year old is looking for his first job. A friend offered to get him on working as a construction laborer. I don't know about that. 8 hours a day out in the sun. I flash back to all those slatherings of sun block on his fair skin...somehow I can't see him carrying a tube with him to the job site. Ok. enough of this. I have to go mix up some crepe batter for dinner.
    My husband has worked in construction for 25 years and you'd be surprised at the number of people that do use sunscreen on the job. My husband, wears a hat and also keeps sunscreen in his truck.
    Another friend works for a very large company and they GIVE their employees sunscreen. It's fun to go to the beach with his wife as she has a bottle of Dasani water with this white goo in it. When I asked her about it, she says the company has this big dispenser and all the guys use their water bottles to fill up with the sunscreen and he brings it home occasionally.

I really think its more acceptable now in light of what's coming out about sun exposure and cancer, so your son may not be the only one with a container of sunscreen. But a laborer in 90 weather is NOT a fun job. I wouldn't want to do it. It's hot, dirty and very phsyical. He'll be in great shape at the end of the summer though.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2360432;
    I'm sure the TV Guide banner at the top of the pages is very valuable, but it is driving me crazy!!!
    Me too! It seems to be a magnet for my mouse.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

I don't have a TV Guide banner--is it something that my pop-up blocker is taking care of , or am I being left out?
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2361018;
    Me too! It seems to be a magnet for my mouse.
    So glad it's not just me!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2361227;
    So glad it's not just me!
    It gets me everytime too.

And its interferring with my pager windows. Part of the pager window was obscured by the banner and I could not get the pager window to move. Fortunately I was able to figure out what it said.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread