+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6442Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

My oldest son was a lifeguard at the Y and loved it. He also started working on the playground staff. He LOVES kids! Anyway, that job and the people he dealt with led him to other jobs and good contacts.

My daughter and I teach swimming lessons to preschoolers. Last week we started a new session and one of the fathers came up to me afterwards and said I had taught him swimming lessons as a child. Hard to imagine how he recognized me - that was before kids when I was young and thin with long, long hair.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

This may be a really dumb question, but do you have to learn to tutor people in reading?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2355978;
    This may be a really dumb question, but do you have to learn to tutor people in reading?
    At the very least I imagine the tutor has to know how to read...

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2355889;
    My daughter and I teach swimming lessons to preschoolers. Last week we started a new session and one of the fathers came up to me afterwards and said I had taught him swimming lessons as a child. Hard to imagine how he recognized me - that was before kids when I was young and thin with long, long hair.
    Probably the voice you use when you yell "Stop running" or "Everyone out of the water" hasn't changed at all!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2355978;
    Sorry for the double post...haven't mastered the double quote yet... This is something we hope to do when we retire as we think lack of reading skills is one of the things that really short circuits people's ability to improve their jobs, so we want to be literacy volunteers. Various literacy programs have training sessions at different times on how to teach older people (not 6 year olds) how to read. And while it may be a little unethical to use their training if you want to charge those who can afford it for your services since their overall goal is more people reading I don't think they'd even object that much to that. But if you just want to get into tutoring as a volunteer they also set you up with people who need tutoring. Just google literacy and scroll down a bit and you'll see a lot of resources for adult literacy programs.
    If you meant teaching your own kids to read, best bet, just read children's books to them a lot with them in your lap so they can see the book. And limit their TV to Sesame St.--they'll learn the alphabet and simple reading in no time. My oldest was reading "Stop" signs and "no parking" signs before he could really talk (put together sentences) thanks to Sesame St., and once when we backpacked the kids to the top of local "mountain" that had a big cross in a clearing at the top as we came around the corner where you could first see the cross my youngest stood up in the backpack and shouted "little T, little T!!!" Exposing us for the non-churchgoers that we were.

OK, a story that wouldäve gone in the old Stupid-thread.

I was getting out some raisins to put in my yoghurt the other day. they're always sticking together so I figured if I shook the box they would fall loose from each other. However I forgot to hold the lid down when shaking and bam...raisins all over the kitchen.

So much for "good" ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;2356813;

I was getting out some raisins to put in my yoghurt the other day. they're always sticking together so I figured if I shook the box they would fall loose from each other. However I forgot to hold the lid down when shaking and bam...raisins all over the kitchen.

Oh, that reminds me of something i did once Expect i did it with a bottle of Gatorade... at schoool, during the break in the middle of one of my classes.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;2356813;

I am sure the look on your face was priceless!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Before the weekend, i developed 4 pimples back to back close to my lips. I'm still annoyed.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

+ Reply to Thread