+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5671Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Premium Member

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    My daughter (16) works at Subway. They have jerked her around first by not giving her but 1 day a week to work and then the last two weeks, she's worked 6 days a week. When someone doesn't show, they call her up first to fill in and she has done it. I have been a little upset as I think she's had too many hours and its interfering with study time.
    Unfortunately, that's pretty much how it is in the fast food business no matter where you go. My son worked at McDonald's when he was 16 and he finally quit because he got tired of being constantly yelled at. Once he was sick - pale as a ghost and puking - and the manager yelled at him on the phone when he called in sick. She called back later to see if he was feeling better and could maybe come in for part of his shift. She was nice as pie to me but when I gave the phone to him I could hear her yelling from across the room and she wrote him up for missing work. They scheduled him to close at 1 AM on a Saturday night and then scheduled him to come back at 11 AM the next morning. He finally gave up on it and quit. The turnover in fast food is huge, and the way the treat and take advantage of the kids who work there is surely a big part of that. I doubt it will be any better if your daughter changes jobs unless she finds something other than fast food.

My son went on to work in a grocery store deli/kitchen, and now that he's 21 and in college he still works there. They have always been very accomodating for school activitites, and the nice thing was that the kitchen always closed around 8 pm so he was never out past 9:30. They also keep the kids on staff so when they go off to college they can still work during school vacations and during the summer without having to re-apply for the job, plus they have a scholarship program that the kids can apply for. Something like that might be worth looking into for your daughter.

It's a shame how some management treats young adults at fast food places, or anywhere. Because of the boom we are experiencing, many restaurants and fast food stores can't find enough staff and have even had to close. Someone wanted to pass a bill that they could hire 12-year olds now. WTH? Let them have a childhood and concentrate on their studies and sports gosh darn it. The bill didn't pass thank goodness.

myrosiedog: Hope things straighten out for your daughter and her toe gets better.

DesertRose: I hope you feel better soon.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

myrosiedog, my son works as a chicken fryer in the local grocery stores deli. They have oodles of carryout boys and cashiers but only one boy to cover my sons days off. And that boy whined about it because it isn't a desirable job. The owner had my son working 6 days a week. He worked split shifts on the weekends from 9-1 and then back at 2-7. It was ridiculous. His grades suffered, he had no social life and when his back-up took drivers ed, my son got stuck with a 7 day work week. I finally put my foot down and told my son that he either tells his boss he couldn't work that many hours, or he had to quit. Finally the boss started training other boys to do the job and my son now works 5 days a week and most of the time, he only has to work half the shift on the weekend days. His grades have improved, he now has time to take his girlfriend out for dates and I see a lot more of him. It was very frustrating there for awhile, though. The Momma Bear in me wanted to gouge his boss's eyes out...

I hope your daughter gets it worked out and I hope her toe heals quickly. A broken toe is no fun.

Desert...I hope you feel better soon. And congrats!

My son has a friend who works at a fast food place. They had all kinds of crazy rules and work him past 10 PM on school nights. High school students aren't supposed to work past 10 PM on school nights in our state (according to my husband). My son applied there, but didn't get hired, and now I'm really glad he didn't. I always say things happen for a reason!

I've been a manager in fast food restaurants. I agree that there's no excuse for screaming at kids and treating them badly. However, I would make a few suggestions for any teenager looking to work in fast food.

1) Be up front about the hours that you can work. Many teens are probably afraid of not getting a job if they are honest about only being able to work on, say, Tuesdays and Fridays. So during their interviews they often say that they can work "any time". They should make sure that the hours and days they can work are clear going in.

2) They need to know to stand up for themselves. If they are being given too many hours or are covering for another employee all the time, they need to learn to say "no". There's nothing a manager hates worse than to hear from an employee's parent. It builds a bad relationship. The employee needs to be the one to say they can't come in or say "no" when they are asked to cover another shift or stay later than they should.

3) Remember the option of quitting! There are a freaking million fast-food jobs. If they are being treated poorly, they should quit and find another job. Not all fast-food managers breathe fire.

4) Remember that fast food isnt the only option! They should look at local hotels, doctor's offices, movie theaters, etc. Hotels hire for front desk clerks all the time. It's a good way to get receptionist/desk experience.

5) Go through the training program. Every fast food restaurant has one. Work your way up through the ranks and soon you can become a trainer, assistant manager, team leader etc. It's a great way to get management experience at a young age and also a great way to have more control over your hours.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

I agree, Stargazer. My first job was in fast food... and while it certainly wasn't the very best job I've ever had in my life, I really liked it at the time. I worked weekends only, breakfast-lunch shift (5am - 3pm) - the early mornings sucked, but I'd nap after work and could still go out on Sat. nights. And I've always been a morning person, so it wasn't that bad for me.

I was upfront when I got hired that I couldn't commit to working weekdays because I played sports after school. My manager was great about it - she would occasionally ask me to cover shifts, and if I could and wanted the hours, I would. But usually I just said no. It never caused any problems because I told them upfront what hours I was available, and I made sure I was there and working hard during my scheduled shifts. My manager never would have thought about calling my mother to see if I could work a shift, and I would never have thought of having my mother call in for me if I couldn't work. I had this job for two years and I look back at the memories of it very fondly even still. Not all fast food jobs are living hells. The key, IMO, was communication and realistic expectations, from both parties.

Premium Member

I worked in a Pizza Hut during college and my biggest complaint was when I would show up for a scheduled shift and the boss would have his wife there working (she wasn't employed there) and then send me home and say he didn't need me. After a few times of him doing that I told him I wouldn't be back.

Stargazer - I wish my son would have worked for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;2354621;
    Not all fast-food managers breathe fire.
    Fast food manager in a previous life here. I got started in the restaurant business working in a fast food place. Just like in any business, there are idiots and jerks in the food business too.
    One fast food establishment that has impressed me is Chick-fil-a. They are closed on Sunday so their employees can go to church. I've always thought their staff were very nice, polite kids and management seems to be great too.

MRD

Thanks all. This is the first time I've ever talked to her boss. She usually handles it, but I had the phone in my hand having just hung up with the doctor and called her boss back. I should have let her do it, I realize now.
    And I've told her she needs to tell the boss no that she won't fill in when its not her regular shift.

She did spend some of this afternoon applying online for some jobs at the grocery and a couple clothing stores that hire younger people. She would like to get out of fast food. It will disappoint Waldo though. He gets SO excited when she comes home from work because she smells like a giant sub to him.

The turnover rate is just amazing. My daughter has been there 3 + months and is the senior person working there except for the manager. But the manager sounds like an a** according to my daughter, so no wonder no one has stayed there long. But my daughter was saving up to take a trip this summer and had planned to just work there until time for the trip and give her 2 weeks notice, 2 weeks before her trip.

Her original hours were great when she started. It fit perfectly with everyone's schedule, our homeschool schedule, weekends, everything. But now its just impossible to plan anything around her crazy hours.

She would LOVE to get in a grocery store as a bagger and then cashier. Because of all the reasons a couple of you stated above.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

There again, it depends on the manager. My daughter bagged for a short while and hated it. Another good job is lifeguarding. A job at a state park pays more than most jobs. My 2 older kids have both guarded and my youngest is applying this year. I used to, too. My dad was a lifeguard when he was courting my mom.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread