+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5651Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2347868;
    I am finally mad at myself enough to get into a serious exercise and eating program. But I needed a toy to push me to do it. And I've sworn off buying any clothes until I lose what I want to lose.

Attachment 20128

I bought a body composition scale. I got it at Walmart. So instead of just losing weight, I'm going to see how to get my body mass index right, with proper water and bone mass and stuff. I read the manual, put in the batteries, but I'm a bit scared to see what it shows for the first time.

Has anyone else used one of these? It sends up electrical sensors through your body. A person with a pacemaker is not allowed to use it.

Maybe I'll weight my kitties too!

:: 3 Eye Fish - Body Composition Scale
    My doctor's office has one and it seems to work well. I don't feel anything when I stand on it, but it gives them my BMI, etc. Pretty cool that they can figure out so much from it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I just had one of the scariest and loneliest experience ever. As I stepped out of the subway, I felt a rush to my head and had to sit down. I started shaking and dripping sweat, then all of a sudden I saw blurry. I knew I was having a drop of blood pressure and that I was at risk of fainting, but I just did not want to do it there, in front of a bunch of strangers, on a dirty subway floor. It was mind over matter, but I managed to close my eyes, let time pass (I don't know how long I sat there) and wait for it to pass. When I finally felt better, I looked at my hands and my purse and they were both full of sweat. I finally managed to make the 10 minute walk to work and am now sitting at my desk, after eating a bagel. I'm feeling better, but I'm still a little shook up.

I'd like to give some unsolicited advice, DR - Have some protein with that bagel. You may have been experiencing a drop in your blood sugar, and the bagel will help temporarily, but when the carbs have digested and burned off, you could have another drop. That happens to me often. I can't have carbs in the a.m., I'm better off skipping breakfast altogether if I can't get protein.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

That's a good point Cricket. I'm going into training in 2 minutes, but at my break I will head down for some peanuts.

ETA: I'd like to add Cricket that whenever someone posts, no advice is unsolicited. If I don't want to hear advice, I just won't post. Just like contestants on Reality tv. You are on tv, so you are fair game...

That's a very scary experience, DesertRose. I hope you're feeling better.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2349640;
    Yes, it was a week or so ago. Didn't I report back? It was fabulous and just too much fun. The first day was technical stuff and a bit of practice. The second day was 5 hours of painting a design we'd have to chose ourselves overnight. We had to share a model so I got to paint one half and my sweetie painted the other half. I chose to do a geisha/harajuku girl and sweetie did a winding red dragon. It was great! But a lot of work. It's not as easy as one would think. But everyone had a good time. We had the services of a makeup artist, a hairstylist, and two photographers for capturing our creations. Too cool. I'm also trying to learn facepainting on my own as well.

It felt so incredibly good to do something artsy and creative again.
    I hadn't seen any posts about it, other than you were back and your kitties were glad to see you! But I think it sounds so interesting! I have a friend who does body designs at a shop here - not exactly what you did but I am thinking it is similar. He does some henna work, but mostly just paint. He did a henna design on my hands/wrists and feet/ankles last summer, and painted an abstract design on another friend of ours around the same time. He loves it, and is very good at it. He sets up for face painting and stuff like that at any fairs/festivals/etc that come through our city.

DR - are you hypoglycemic? My aunt is, and often has experiences like you had. It is scary, but she can keep it under control with diet. I am glad to hear you are feeling better now, but I don't think it's something you should brush off lightly, or think of as insignificant. Maybe it's nothing, but I'm a firm believer of the "better safe than sorry" mantra... Next time you visit your doctor you may want to mention it, even if it was only a one-time occurance.

DesertRose....hope you are feeling okay now. The subway is a yucky place to feel by yourself.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

DR, if I were you, I'd make a specific appointment with my doc to address that particular episode. That way, you can have it addressed by itself, and enough time given to it, in itself. As you know, this problem came upon you seemingly, out of nowhere. Who knows what can happen with this, should it happen again. You could completely pass out...on a nasty floor (and that obviously freaks you out!)...who knows where.

Call your doctor, Sweetie. Time for a checkup!

(All you're going to do is sit around and worry about it, anyway.)
    Last edited by prhoshay; 04-25-2007 at 12:17 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2350100;
    DR, if I were you, I'd make a specific appointment with my doc to address that particular episode. That way, you can have it addressed by itself, and enough time given to it, in itself. As you know, this problem came upon you seemingly, out of nowhere. Who knows what can happen with this, should it happen again. You could completely pass out...on a nasty floor (and that obviously freaks you out!)...who knows where.

Call your doctor, Sweetie. Time for a checkup!

(All you're going to do is sit around and worry about it, anyway.)
    That is very scary. I hope you are ok. I agree, call the doc. Just to make sure, you know?

And it does sound like low blood sugar. I have had that happen to me a time or two and had your exact symptoms. Eating a piece of cheese, or lunchmeat, or some nuts or even a yogurt, really helps me. I try to stay away from carbs and sugar during those episodes as someone said upthread, they can spike and bottom out your blood sugar quickly while protien keeps the blood sugar at a more even level.
    I even have to FORCE myself to eat something first thing in the morning if I know I am going to be away from the house for an extended period (I usually can't eat first thing in the morning). I usually keep string cheese on hand for those instances. That gets my blood sugar up and keeps it there until I can eat a regular meal later on.

Good luck and take care of yourself.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

DesertRose! How horrible to endure that! I can't even imagine. Hope you can take steps to keep it from happening again.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread