+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6238Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by daddyzgirl;2342052;
    Hello Fellow FORTers,

Since I know you guys are a creative bunch, I need some ideas re: a unique gift for someone who just received their doctorate in statistics. Since there were a number of mathematical courses involved I thought an Abacus would be a neat idea but that's all I could come up with.

It doesn't have to be fancy, just creative...

DZG
    Frame the abacus under glass with a label that reads
    "IN CASE OF COMPUTER CRASH, BREAK GLASS"
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2342805;
    Frame the abacus under glass with a label that reads
    "IN CASE OF COMPUTER CRASH, BREAK GLASS"
    I LOVE it! That is the perfect gift!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2342970;
    I LOVE it! That is the perfect gift!
    It's something that I've been meaning to do with a slide rule for the last 20 years.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2342971;
    It's something that I've been meaning to do with a slide rule for the last 20 years.
    Oh, yeah, I have several of those ideas I haven't gotten around to yet. I know exactly what you mean.

Good ideas though. I still have some of my mom's "printer's equipment" from when she worked at the newspaper. Her rulers and her little magnifying glass and other things that I have no idea if they even use anymore in printing. Her ruler was metal with measurements for certain types of "type" on it. I've been meaning to frame those and haven't yet.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My college roomate was a math/chemistry major and she now teaches high school math. I've given her an abacus, a morter and pestle and all sorts of of other related gifts over the years. Last year I found a "Pi Plate" - a ceramic pie plate with the Pi symbol on the bottom. She thought that was hilarious.

I will find the name of the website where I found that thing and post it later. That same site had a lot of other math/science related items.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Gabriel, queenb, myrosiedog - Thanks for your help everyone! I will definitely stick with the abacus idea and Newfherder I love the "in case of computer crash, break glass"

I knew you guys wouldn't let me down

Doxie - if you could please provide with that link it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Daddyzgirl - the catalog that I ordered the Pi Plate from is called "What ON Earth" the website is What on Earth - A Collection Of Fun Wear & Delightful Diversions

I browsed the catalog again and they have a sweatshirt that says Q T PI - I may have to get that for my friend's next birthday. Enjoy!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I am finally mad at myself enough to get into a serious exercise and eating program. But I needed a toy to push me to do it. And I've sworn off buying any clothes until I lose what I want to lose.

Attachment 20128

I bought a body composition scale. I got it at Walmart. So instead of just losing weight, I'm going to see how to get my body mass index right, with proper water and bone mass and stuff. I read the manual, put in the batteries, but I'm a bit scared to see what it shows for the first time.

Has anyone else used one of these? It sends up electrical sensors through your body. A person with a pacemaker is not allowed to use it.

Maybe I'll weight my kitties too!

:: 3 Eye Fish - Body Composition Scale
    Last edited by misskitty; 05-17-2007 at 11:21 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

misskitty, I don't know about the scale, but I wanted to ask how your body painting class went? Wasn't that last week sometime?

Yes, it was a week or so ago. Didn't I report back? It was fabulous and just too much fun. The first day was technical stuff and a bit of practice. The second day was 5 hours of painting a design we'd have to chose ourselves overnight. We had to share a model so I got to paint one half and my sweetie painted the other half. I chose to do a geisha/harajuku girl and sweetie did a winding red dragon. It was great! But a lot of work. It's not as easy as one would think. But everyone had a good time. We had the services of a makeup artist, a hairstylist, and two photographers for capturing our creations. Too cool. I'm also trying to learn facepainting on my own as well.

It felt so incredibly good to do something artsy and creative again.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread