+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7285Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Premium Member

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2332667;
    That poor thing. To actually plead for death...how horrible it must have been for her...

OK, I'm one of those dummies who wouldn't have known to NOT throw water on someone who was on fire. I keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen and know how to use it...but if you're at a picnic and this happens and there's no extinguisher handy, what should you do? Is it best to try to wrap a cloth on her or try to roll her on the ground to put out the fire? It's the lighter fluid that reacts badly to water, right? But if the fire had just started with a match, is it OK to throw water on the person to douse it? (Of course, most times you won't know what caused the fire...) I'm serious and I need to know. Sorry for the stupid question. And thanks in advance all for tips.
    The reason that man shouldn't have sprayed water on his wife is because the lighter fluid which caused the fire was a petroleum product - since it doesn't mix with water all it did was spread the fire. If the fire was just caused by matches then it would be ok to use water. If you are at a picnic, a blanket, towels if you're at the beach, or tablecloth - whatever you have, and the "stop, drop and roll" thing is your best bet. Don't worry about the dirt, a dirty first degree burn is far better than a clean 3rd degree burn. They can clean it up at the hospital and give you antibiotics to help prevent any infection. Oh, and Lois Lane - that is definitely not a stupid question. It's good to ask and know what to do because you never know what might happen.

The first time my parents left my sister and I alone (we were 11 & 13) we decided to make popcorn, and since this was eons ago and pre-microwave, we were heating oil in the pan preparing to put in the kernels. We got distracted, and the oil caught fire. I threw water on it and when it flashed up it scared the hell out of us. We then threw flour on it (which I found out later could have made it worse?), and luckily the flames went out. The wall behind the stove was blackened, but other than that we got lucky. We cleaned everything up and swore we wouldn't tell our parents. Hours later they no sooner stepped into the house when we both ran to them crying all about it. So much for keeping secrets. I now keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.

When I was in my early 20's I spilled a pot of boiling hot water on the sock on my ankle, and stupidly waited for it to cool down, like when you spill coffee. Needless to say it wasn't cooling down, and when my friend took my sock off, my skin went with it. I ended up in the ER, and it was several weeks of cleaning and caring by a doctor to get it healed. That was really painful, and I imagine a fire burn has got to be 10x worse.
    Last edited by roseskid; 04-16-2007 at 05:49 PM.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Roses - I keep a fire extinguisher in the pantry - across from the kitchen - and another on my dresser just inside the bedroom door (hidden, of course - not such a chic design element! ) I'm more than a little paranoid about fire. When I was a kid and not so smart about fire, I lit a Kleenex on fire. Let me tell you, they incinerate in about .0002 seconds. Scared me to death.

The other day, a piece of pasta fell underneath a burner on my stove and, even with the exhaust fan on, the smoke detector went off. Scared the bejesus out of my cats and annoyed the hell out of me when I couldn't get the darn thing to turn off (even taking out the batteries didn't help). At least I know the detector is really sensitive.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

We then threw flour on it (which I found out later could have made it worse?)
    You could have ended up with an explosion, which some people find distracting. One of the experiments that my 9th-grade science teacher did was to put a candle and some flour into a one-gallon paint can that had a tube in the side. When he blew into the tube, it dispersed the flour into the flame, and the resultant explosion blew the lid off of the paint can. On a larger scale, some years back there was a grain elevator near here that was blown to hell when some grain dust ignited from a spark.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

You know, Newf, I've mentioned that 'mishap' on Fort before, and I'm pretty sure it was you who told me the flour could have made things even worse - I guess we got lucky all the way around. In all these years I'd never heard that before, but you can bet I remember it now.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2333025;
    it up at the hospital and give you antibiotics to help prevent any infection. Oh, and Lois Lane - that is definitely not a stupid question. It's good to ask and know what to do because you never know what might happen.
    Thanks Marley. I'm not too good at some of this common sense stuff that most adults already know! And since I babysit my nieces and nephews a lot, I want to make sure I can take care of them the best that I can.

roses, I sympathesize. I actually was burned when I was a kid--from scalding water. The scarring got lighter as I got older so it's not too bad--but needless to say, I'm a little paranoid about fire/burning etc. Thanks all for the great tips! You all explained it in a way that I will never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2333273;
    roses, I sympathesize. I actually was burned when I was a kid--from scalding water. The scarring got lighter as I got older so it's not too bad--but needless to say, I'm a little paranoid about fire/burning etc. Thanks all for the great tips! You all explained it in a way that I will never forget.
    My scars are really faint, but I'm paranoid about cooking with hot water, too. When our daughter was little, I'd always turn the pot handles in away from the edge of the range (actually still do), and even now will scoot my dogs out of the kitchen before I drain pasta, etc., for fear I might spill some on them. You just can't be too careful.

Marley, thanks for all the valuable information.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2333253;
    You could have ended up with an explosion, which some people find distracting.
    I could swear my elementary school teachers taught us to use flour to smother a kitchen fire. Glad you posted that! I once used baking soda to put out a grease fire with great success.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Unless my memory is off (and that's entirely possible), it's corn starch that is really dangerous with regard to flame. Maybe it's just all powders that are so fine like that. I think there was a whole big thing a few years back about baby powder with corn starch being extremely dangerous precisely because it could ignite if it was in a "cloud" of powder.

Roses - I shoo the cats out of the kitchen when I drain pasta as well My little one has a habit of getting under foot no matter how many times she's accidentally stepped on. I'd hate for her to get scalded by hot water if she got tripped on at the wrong time.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid;2333270;
    You know, Newf, I've mentioned that 'mishap' on Fort before, and I'm pretty sure it was you who told me the flour could have made things even worse - I guess we got lucky all the way around. In all these years I'd never heard that before, but you can bet I remember it now.
    Could be . . . I only know two things about the real world--don't throw flour on fire, and how to eliminate skunk odor.

Crickteen: Baking soda is GREAT for dowsing grease fire
    Last edited by Newfherder; 04-16-2007 at 08:05 PM.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread