+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6183Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf;2299532;
    I have a lot of catching up to do.

I grew up on Air Force bases so we always shopped at the commisary. The baggers were not paid a wage and you were encouraged to tip them. When payday came at the first of the month the lines would be out the door. The baggers bagged all your groceries and took them to your car and loaded them. The usual tip was .50-1.00 a bag. That was a pretty decent pay since most people had at least 10 bags. They even ran little public service announcements over the intercom to remind you to tip the baggers and what the usual amount was. Because of this I cannot stand to have a bagger take my groceries to the car and me not tip them. I think the store asks you not to tip because they are paying them a wage and therefore providing you with a service that you don't have to pay for.
    Publix has the best customer service. If you pass any employee while walking down an asile they always greet you and ask if they can help you find something. If you say yes they take you to the item rather then point the way. They treat their employees good and it shows. They always run ads during major holidays and say they're sorry they won't be able to provide us with their usual service but they feel their employees deserve to be home with their families. I think that rocks! I'd rather do without that extra can of cranberries then make some poor guy who's making minimum wage miss his Christmas dinner so someone else who already has so much can make an extra buck.

Ok thats my opinion about bagging and grocery stores. Tomorrow I'll cover terrorists blowing up the Charmin factory and checking on pets, or in my case kids, who aren't there. Many a time I have suffered a moment of panic wondering where the kids are only to remember I dropped them off at Grandmas.
    I have a very good friend that works for Publix and they really do treat their employees well. They get Thanksgiving, Easter and Christmas off and they get good benefits and the stores also do employee picnics and encourage their employees to fundraise for United Way, the Amer. Cancer Society, etc.
    Often they match the donations raised or they let the employee off WITH pay to participate in the event. The store my friend works at is like a big family and if anyone gets sick or has a baby, wedding, etc., the store sends them food and gift cards. They even donated all the food and paper products for a wake for one of their longtime employees that died.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Pet peeve: ridiculous tipping rules

Another pet peeve: when companies change the container size/shape of their product so it contains less but charge you the same amount as before. They just did this with my decaf coffee jar. Not only is it taller, but slimmer and no longer square. So it doesn't fit on the shelf I keep coffee and rolls around and won't sit still!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2300541;
    He was a big dog and could have been scary, but good ol' Hank was loved by everyone. Our first introduction to him was when he strolled over one afternoon while we were sitting on our deck, walked up as if he owned the place and laid his head on my lap. When the owner moved out of state, we heard that he was "adopted" by the children at the school down the block from his new home. The principal even let him in the building. There was just something about him.
    I have no idea how he knew to ring the doorbell, or if he even knew what he was doing. All I know is he kept jumping up and hitting it with his paw. Whether it was purposeful or just the result of him jumping up in desperation, . My husband even said - how does that dog know to ring the doorbell?
    We had a dog like that at the elemantary school I went to. He always slept in the grass right by the cafateria dores. He was a super nice dog.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Just wanted to let you guys know that wiping my computer desk down, several times, with white vinegar seems to have made a huge difference in my ant problem. There is a very rare ant sighting now! Still haven't figured out where the tiny monsters are coming from.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2299987;

I'm going out on a limb here and guess that part of it is due to the fact the the baggers will get to know the tippers from the non tippers and will be fighting over the tippers and ignoring the other customers. It happens in my restaurant.
    When I asked one of my bosses today this is pretty darned close to what he told me...it equals out the playing field so everyone gets the same good service no matter what.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane
    Surely the bagger doesn't make that much more (if at all) than the server.
    Here in Florida (even at minimum wage) a bagger will start at just about twice the hourly pay as a server will.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by libra1022;2301853;
    Here in Florida (even at minimum wage) a bagger will start at just about twice the hourly pay as a server will.
    Wow. That's amazing.

Which begs the question (if anyone knows), why are servers so underpaid?

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2301900;
    By the time you add their tips in they make well above minimum wage. My servers hourly wage when tips are included range from $8 to $18 per hour. Tips are taxable income. I'm sure that at one point in time it had to be through rigorous lobbying by restaurant associations that paying servers higher wages would be devastating to the industry. I know how much of an impact just raising their wages by $1.28 per hour has had on my operation. It has taken a minimum of $50,000 per year from my profits just in wages not to mention increase FICA, etc.

Here's a post I made back in June '03 in the Tipping thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;217095;
    Quote Originally Posted by cali
    but really I would pay more at a restaurant that made it clear up front that tipping was not allowed. I don't understand why they couldn't pay staff more by charging more
    I don't believe the majority of people feel that way. Let's just say in a typical (if that is possible) restaurant you would have a 50-50 ratio of tipped and non tipped employees. For the restaurant to bring the tipped employees from $2.13 per hour which is the minimum they can be paid to a higher wage would be economically challenging to say the least.
    For example lets pretend that we have 10 waits on the floor for an average 8 hour shift and want to bring their wage up to a whopping $8 per hour. In one year that would amount to approx. $175,000 just in hourly wages By the time you add in the employers portion of payroll taxes, etc. how much do you think that $20 steak will cost you now?

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2301900;
    Wow. That's amazing.

Florida voters raised the minimum wage in the state last year, so it is higher than the national minimum wage.

And here's my question. If servers don't make much wage, but rely on tips, then why in the heck do you get such bad service at restaurants. I notice this more and more to be the norm, not the exception. If you are working for tips, you'd think you'd really be nice and a good server, but I have had mostly mediocre servers and some truly bad ones and I tip accordingly and have gotten to where I've left a note before saying why you are getting $2 instead of $10 because we never saw you, you never refilled our drinks, etc.

BTW, I usually tip 20% in restaurants unless the service is truly horrible. And I have also told the manager about both the good and the bad. If I get a GREAT server and its a chain, I will get on their website and write them about the server and tell the restaurant manager how delightful it was and leave that server a great tip and tell him/her how wonderful the service was. So I'm not just a complainer.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Premium Member
    A long time ago when I was a waitress in a nice country club, my boss taught us that the word TIPS was an acronym meaning To Insure Prompt Service. Or something like that, anyway, the idea is supposed to be good service = good tips. I do the same as you, myrosiedog, I always tip 20% unless the service was bad. You would think that getting crappy tips would motivate the servers to kick it up and do better, but there will always be some servers who don't really care so all it does is just piss them off. It was great being a waitress back in the old days before they made tips taxable.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Is it true that now the government taxes you on tips you may never have even earned? That they assume you would've gotten a certain amount in tips and tax you on that...even if you may have gotten stiffed by a lot of cheap customers?

+ Reply to Thread