+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6435Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

I Is Stephanie
    Yeah, I wish Stinki would do that. A few years ago, it was thundering really badly, and she was clearly terrifyed, so she was in her crate. My dad realized that the window in the room that her crate is in was open, so he went in to close it, and he suddenly found himself being dragged into the crate with her--big baby.

Other fears that dogs shouldn't have (But SugarDoggi does):
    plastic bags
    tomatoes
    unzipped backpacks
    the railings that lead upstairs
    men who wear cologne, and
    bubbles. Yes, bubbles. She seriously wets herself when she sees them.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

I have a lot of catching up to do.

I grew up on Air Force bases so we always shopped at the commisary. The baggers were not paid a wage and you were encouraged to tip them. When payday came at the first of the month the lines would be out the door. The baggers bagged all your groceries and took them to your car and loaded them. The usual tip was .50-1.00 a bag. That was a pretty decent pay since most people had at least 10 bags. They even ran little public service announcements over the intercom to remind you to tip the baggers and what the usual amount was. Because of this I cannot stand to have a bagger take my groceries to the car and me not tip them. I think the store asks you not to tip because they are paying them a wage and therefore providing you with a service that you don't have to pay for.
    Publix has the best customer service. If you pass any employee while walking down an asile they always greet you and ask if they can help you find something. If you say yes they take you to the item rather then point the way. They treat their employees good and it shows. They always run ads during major holidays and say they're sorry they won't be able to provide us with their usual service but they feel their employees deserve to be home with their families. I think that rocks! I'd rather do without that extra can of cranberries then make some poor guy who's making minimum wage miss his Christmas dinner so someone else who already has so much can make an extra buck.

Ok thats my opinion about bagging and grocery stores. Tomorrow I'll cover terrorists blowing up the Charmin factory and checking on pets, or in my case kids, who aren't there. Many a time I have suffered a moment of panic wondering where the kids are only to remember I dropped them off at Grandmas.

Lois, Boris thinks he is fierce.

To quote Dave Barry, 'I swear I am not making this up':
    My husband and I once had a house in a rural area. One neighbor was a single guy who traveled for work. He had this big mixed breed baby named Hank who was adopted by all the nearby families. Whenever the owner left town, he'd leave the dog to roam outside, knowing we'd all take care of him when he came mooching. One evening, not long after moving in, we had a big storm blow up. The doorbell rang, I opened the door and no one was there. A few minutes later, same thing. I decided not to open the door a third time and went about my business. So I was standing in the kitchen, there was a flash of lightning and I saw a big shape looming on my deck right at the back door. My heart was in my mouth as I switched on the outside light. It was Hank, desperate to get in away from the storm. That's when I learned we had a back doorbell.
    Last edited by cricketeen; 03-27-2007 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Spelling counts
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2298980;
    So why tip them for doing their job?
    Do you tip your hairdresser? They certainly make more than servers do and they are just doing their job.
    But the reason I always tip when someone helps me bring my groceries to my car (again, not something I often do--just when there's too much for me to handle) because to me, that's going beyond their job as a bagger.
    But that's their job, to help you with the groceries to your car if you have a lot.
    But I know that at some of the stores here, you're not supposed to tip for this. I'll tell you, every single kid (and it's always been a teenage boy) gladly took the tip and thanked me. Hey, I wasn't going to tattle on him and he certainly wasn't going to turn himself in.
    Ah, but that's why stores use mystery shoppers to make sure their policies and procedures are being followed.
    Does anyone know WHY you're not supposed to tip the store employees who help you bring your groceries to the car?
    I'm going out on a limb here and guess that part of it is due to the fact the the baggers will get to know the tippers from the non tippers and will be fighting over the tippers and ignoring the other customers. It happens in my restaurant.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2299987;
    Do you tip your hairdresser? They certainly make more than servers do and they are just doing their job.
    Yes I do, but there's never a sign up NOT to tip them or a verbal comment from the salon owner not to tip them. If anything, you're encouraged to tip them (if you pay by credit, they always ask if you want to get cash back for the tip). I also go to the same person maybe twice a year. Also, cashiers and baggers are doing their daily job. When they help you take your groceries to your car, I don't think that's something they do on a daily basis. I know I don't use them for that often--maybe once a year, if that. So it seems like it is something beyond their normal duties. But if you want to pick apart my post bit by bit, let's go! I've been working out and can take you (unless you sic your boys on me!)

Personally, although I am a pretty good tipper, I hate the whole tipping system and wish employers would just pay their employees a fair wage. I think it's ridiculous that servers are paid so little that their livlihoods are at stake if customers stiff them on the tip (and I'm sure plenty do). One of theories I heard about why restaurants don't pay their employees enough is because then they'd have to raise the prices on the menu to make up for it. I don't get tipped for doing my job...except verbal tips and tips that usually start with the middle finger.

I went on a couple vacations to a resort once, and a cruise once. In the fee that you pay, tips were already included. In the brochure for one of the destinations, it actually has as one of it's selling points--NO TIPPING ALLOWED. But I read a tipping article that said that even on these types of trips, you should still tip. And as an American who's accustomed to tipping, it's weird not to.

So to go back to Unklescott's point, why do we tip hairdressers and restaurant servers and the ilk but not baggers at the grocery store. Surely the bagger doesn't make that much more (if at all) than the server. And at what point do we stop tipping everyone? Do you tip the cashier? How about the kid who helps you get different size pants at the GAP while you're wiggling around in the dressing room trying to squeeze into something that clearly doesn't fit? (I worked in retail as a kid and can tell you that the bagger and I made about the same amount.) Do you tip them? (I never got one, so perhaps that accounts for my crankiness tonight.)

cricket, Hank sounds like a cutie! How did he know to ring the doorbell?!! I love the idea of having a community dog. I will say that when we go on vacation, the neighborhood kids fight to see who gets to feed him and take care of him. Speaking of His Highness (my nickname for the cat 'cause he is), I was making fish for dinner tonight so I gave a small portion in a bowl and asked the husband to give it to the cat as a treat (don't worry--it was completely boneless and safe for him to eat). Well, Mr. Lane decided to have some fun with him and held it up high. Normally Corky (my cat) jumps to get the food. Tonight, he just looked at my husband, then looked up at me as if he was saying, "Oh, make him stop." The funny thing is the cat loves my husband so much more than me, so it was kind of fun to have a "bonding" moment with him.
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 03-27-2007 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2300008;
    But if you want to pick apart my post bit by bit, let's go! I've been working out and can take you (unless you sic your boys on me!)
    The boys are whimps, I cant count on them.

So to go back to Unklescott's point, why do we tip hairdressers and restaurant servers and the ilk but not baggers at the grocery store. Surely the bagger doesn't make that much more (if at all) than the server. And at what point do we stop tipping everyone? Do you tip the cashier? How about the kid who helps you get different size pants at the GAP? (I worked in retail as a kid and can tell you that the bagger and I made about the same amount.) Do you tip them? (I never got one, so perhaps that accounts for my crankiness tonight.)
    We have a whole thread about tipping If someone wants to bump it.
    I'm just partial about tipping since my mom raised 5 kids on $25 per week plus tips after my father passed away plus the fact that I manage a restaurant for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2300036;
    I'm just partial about tipping since my mom raised 5 kids on $25 per week plus tips after my father passed away plus the fact that I manage a restaurant for a living.
    Wow! That is one amazing woman...

(I worked in retail as a kid and can tell you that the bagger and I made about the same amount.) Do you tip them? (I never got one, so perhaps that accounts for my crankiness tonight.)
    Wow, veejer's theory that no tips leads to curmudgeonly behavior (post #3339) is really starting to make sense!! Careful, Lois Lane, you don't want to end up like this:
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I think it's too late... If there was a little old woman shaking her fist, that'd be me!!!

cricket, Hank sounds like a cutie! How did he know to ring the doorbell?!! I love the idea of having a community dog.
    He was a big dog and could have been scary, but good ol' Hank was loved by everyone. Our first introduction to him was when he strolled over one afternoon while we were sitting on our deck, walked up as if he owned the place and laid his head on my lap. When the owner moved out of state, we heard that he was "adopted" by the children at the school down the block from his new home. The principal even let him in the building. There was just something about him.
    I have no idea how he knew to ring the doorbell, or if he even knew what he was doing. All I know is he kept jumping up and hitting it with his paw. Whether it was purposeful or just the result of him jumping up in desperation, . My husband even said - how does that dog know to ring the doorbell?
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

+ Reply to Thread