+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5769Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    That is a point to be considered.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Good Grief....just read that Tony Snow's colon cancer has returned, and that it is in his liver. Not good.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I guess I never thought about tipping cashiers/baggers cause they get paid a decent wage (and by decent, I only mean better than servers at restaurants where they're paid so low they can't live decently unless they get tips as well). So why tip them for doing their job? But the reason I always tip when someone helps me bring my groceries to my car (again, not something I often do--just when there's too much for me to handle) because to me, that's going beyond their job as a bagger. But I know that at some of the stores here, you're not supposed to tip for this. I'll tell you, every single kid (and it's always been a teenage boy) gladly took the tip and thanked me. Hey, I wasn't going to tattle on him and he certainly wasn't going to turn himself in. (And I would never accept a senior citizen's offer to help me. Heck, if I'm half their age, I can manage just fine! I figure a 17 year old boy is stronger than me. But a 70 year old? Not so much.)

Does anyone know WHY you're not supposed to tip the store employees who help you bring your groceries to the car?

At a discount store my sister used to go to a long time ago when she was still in college, she said there would be poor families waiting outside to help load the groceries -- it'd usually be a mom and two small kids. Sometimes they would comandeer the cart or start carrying stuff even though my sister asked them not to. And then she felt obligated to tip them, especially the little kids (who I think were brought along specifically to get the sympathy extra buck or two). Help is nice IF it's asked for. Otherwise, it's like getting your windshield "washed" when you don't want them to do it on the streets.

A Just How Stupid Are You entry:

My dog gets very nervous when it thunders. If I am home, he stays right beside me; if he is alone, he goes in his crate or under my bed. We just had a storm go through with some loud booms. I look all over for Boris, wondering why he isn't next to me. Not in his crate. Not under the bed. Not on any of his cushions. Maybe it's because he is at the groomer's.
    What's worse is I'm the one who took him there.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

cricketeen I do the same thing when Libby isn't here. I'm always looking for her on her blanket on the couch.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    One of our former dogs (RIP) also used to hate thunder. He didn't want anyone in the family (human or animal) outside if he heard thunder and he usually heard it before we did. One time my father was in the backyard sawing some wood and the dog walked up to his legs and began to push him towards the house. He would bark until everyone was safely inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2298074;
    That's when you just drop a buck on the ground and say "Look, somebody must have lost some money. It's your lucky day."
    Yeppers Unk...I've had that happen, money just shoved in my pants/apron pockets, and things just "accidentally" left behind in a shopping cart for me. Normally the only tips we get are customers that have special catering orders from the deli or very complicated cake orders that I put a lot of time and effort into....but hey after I refuse (like I'm supposed to do) once, I did my job and if they insist then I'm not gonna turn them down!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    I prefer the self-checkout anyway -- I can usually do it faster.
    Completely agreed on that one! If there's a self checkout available then I'll almost always be found there instead of a manned checkout lane. The only exception is if I'm getting cigarettes or another age restricted item because then you end up having to deal with a cashier to approve it anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane
    Does anyone know WHY you're not supposed to tip the store employees who help you bring your groceries to the car?
    Hmmm, honestly they've never told us just WHY we aren't supposed to accept tips, just that we aren't. Possibly because our baggers, although underpaid, aren't being paid as a tipped employee would be? (which is normally significantly less) Now it's gonna drive me crazy so I'll ask my boss tomorrow and see what he says.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    cricketeen, I think it's funny that a dog named Boris (which sounds SO fierce) is afraid of thunder! But it's pretty common. The husband grew up with dogs and almost of them would hide then. Now our cat, he couldn't care less. He's so tough!

libra, thanks for checking!

cricketeen:

Speaking of weather, it's snowing! There goes the gardening I was planning to do. Not.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky;2299072;
    One of our former dogs (RIP) also used to hate thunder. He didn't want anyone in the family (human or animal) outside if he heard thunder and he usually heard it before we did. One time my father was in the backyard sawing some wood and the dog walked up to his legs and began to push him towards the house. He would bark until everyone was safely inside.
    How Sweet! What a good dog. He was doing his job of protecting the loved ones.

+ Reply to Thread