+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4488Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2296173;
    Well, some people like to bag their own stuff---don't trust the cashier not to crush the fragile stuff--so once you started maybe she thought you were one of them.
    Yeah, good points everyone. With me, I don't really worry so much about the crushing. I just feel weird standing there watching people work if I'm not doing anything. I do admit I miss the days when all the stores had cashiers and baggers though--things moved faster and more efficiently...or so I remember!

But I do think that the cashier shouldn't ring up the next customer if it's clearly obvious that the first customer isn't done yet loading up all the stuff. It gets kinda confusing when cans and things are rolling down the conveyer belt and you're not done yet. At that point, it'd be nice to get a little help so you can get one shopper out first and then get to the next customer.
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 03-25-2007 at 02:09 PM.

Premium Member
    I don't know how your Target is set up (if you're still talking about Target ) but at the ones here, the conveyor belt is before the cashier and they don't ring up the next person until your transaction is complete. They can't start the next customer until they've closed out your purchase, and your stuff should be all bagged by then. I like those bar thingies that you can put between your stuff and the next person's, but it's frustrating when they don't have them available. We have a grocery store that has a conveyor belt after the cashier and that gets frustrating - especially when the belt keeps moving and your stuff starts piling up at the end.

I Is Stephanie
    I don't know how true this is, but the first thing that comes to mind for me is "customer feedback." I have too many memories from when I was younger, and my mom would be showing the baggers at the grocery store that eggs are fragile, meat should be put in plastic, that when a customer asks for paper, it means they want the brown bags, not the white ones, that a bag is capable of holding more than 1 dinner roll without breaking. I'm sure that if the store got enough feedback like this, they would realize that baggers aren't as great an idea as they initially thought.

The next thing that comes to mind is money. Think of how much money can be saved without baggers on payroll! Assume that a store has 15 full-time baggers. These baggers probably make $7.25 an hour, times however many store there are across the nation/world, and that's a few dollars saved. Besides, think of all the people who only buy one or two items in a store, do they really need to be paying someone to bag 1 eyeliner pencil? I personally, just put said eyeliner pencil into my purse, I really don't see the need to have a huge plastic bag wasted on it. And I'm sure that there are other people who feel the same way.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

I didn't realize that there was such a thing as baggers anymore. I haven't seen one in a couple of decades at either the local low-end grocery store or the high-end grocery store in my neighbourhood. That's my preference, anyway as I much prefer bagging my own stuff. Plus I don't have to go through the interminable arguments about not needing bags as I bring my own cotton bags shopping with me, or the item is small enough to fit in my purse, or it will fit in the nylon bag I keep tucked away in my purse at all times.

So yes, 11stephanie, there are other people who feel the same way .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

We still have baggers and they have to watch orientation movies on how to bag! Also if something is destroyed because of poor bagging, they'll replace it free. I've never had a problem and I request plastic for cold and paper for everything else. That way I know what needs to be put away first. Plus I reuse both and hate to run out of either.
    Count your blessings!

When I was a teenager, I spent about a year as a bagger, and I don't ever want to have to bag groceries again. Our local grocers have about one or two baggers for every three registers, which seems to work out pretty well. They offer to take the groceries to the car, too.

I absolutely hate the self-check registers. The last time that I used one at Home Depot, I almost got into a fist fight with it. Whatever I was scanning was pretty light. probably seed packets, and the weight sensor didn't believe that I had put it in the bag. It kept telling me to place the item in the bag, and wouldn't let me scan the next item. I don't need the aggravation.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I Is Stephanie
    Newf- you might not want to ever bag again now, but did you feel that it was worth it at the time? I'm considering applying for a job at a grocery store this summer, but I want to know that it's going to be worth it for me, time-wise. Was it all the same every day, or was there enough variation to keep it interesting every day?
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I've noticed that our grocery stores hire a lot of older people for baggers. They still hire the teenagers, but the senior citizens are out there taking care of business, mostly in the day time. I prefer either seniors or females to bag the groceries, since the young guys put waaay too much stuff in the bags, making them super heavy for carrying them from the car to the house. And they also offer to help you out with your groceries.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by 11sstephanie;2296338;
    Newf- you might not want to ever bag again now, but did you feel that it was worth it at the time? I'm considering applying for a job at a grocery store this summer, but I want to know that it's going to be worth it for me, time-wise. Was it all the same every day, or was there enough variation to keep it interesting every day?
    Hmmm . . . tough question. For the ten months that I worked in the grocery store, I pulled down the princely sum of $2.40/hour (minimum wage was $2.35 when I started; when MW jumped to $2.40, I didn't get a raise,) from which I was able to pay for two years of college, so in that regard it was OK. I split my time between bagging and chasing down carts from the parking lot, so that part was OK, too. I didn't like the second and third managers for whom I worked, so that was a drain. There was also a period when I was trying to work full time and go to school, which did not work well for me.

On the whole, I guess it served its purpose, which was to pay for school. I have a brother-in-law who has worked at a grocery store for at least 35 years, so obviously some people take to it better than others.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

stephanie: I think it's great you are thinking of a summer job. I know I really appreciate the baggers at the grocery store, no matter what age they are. They keep things moving along. At one grocery chain store, we have to bag ourselves and the cashier is always waiting even though two customers can bag at the same time at the time till.

You are too young to remember, but bagging and even gas stations had full service. And it was included in the price of goods. Now you have to pay more for service to gas your car. And I think that if I have to scan and bag all my own groceries, then I should get another 5% off because it is saving the store money.

Newf: The few stores that have their own scan and check out here always have one person to assist with problems and keep an eye on everyone. Is there no-one around to help you out?
    ----------

BTW, I have been unable to get internet for almost 3 days!!! The withdrawal has been terrible. Did anyone miss me?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread