+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Great gifts! Boxing gloves and water pistols... I have to admit I'd definitely remember who gave me those 50 years later, but not who supplied the 5th place setting for my china.
    I think the rationale for bringing gifts to showers but shipping them ahead of time for weddings if possible is that a wedding it is just too chaotic, and also usually big, for anyone to be sure the gifts won't be stolen, the cards, misplaced, etc. Plus in the typical WASP wedding that sets the template for those ettiquette books there's no time slot set aside for opening them, so at best they just wind up waiting for the bride and groom to return. However, not to say we haven't brought presents to weddings (because we didn't get our act together ahead of time), and have certainly been to some where it was clear the historical ethnicity of bride or groom dictated that presents be brought to the wedding and displayed on tables at the event, complete with cards, and notes about how big checks were. HOwever, even then, for the display to work it helped for the bride's family to have a lot of the gifts ahead of time....

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2294722;
    I think you must be the person who always gets to the secondhand stores and yard sales right before I arrive to never, ever, get anything good. My sister is always getting the cool stuff; when I go it's used granny panties and stained baby clothes!
    This is me. I never seem to get to any of the "good stuff" like all my friends seem to do. However, I have gotten some great bargains at Goodwill, but not a Louis Vuitton purse.
    That's great!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2295936;
    This is me. I never seem to get to any of the "good stuff" like all my friends seem to do. However, I have gotten some great bargains at Goodwill, but not a Louis Vuitton purse.
    That's great!
    There's a Goodwill in Omaha that I call the "Abercrombie & Fitch Goodwill" because it's located closer to some of the more upscale neighborhoods. They usually always have a pretty decent selection of nice clothes and things - I've shopped there on occasion and made a little money by selling the stuff on eBay.

FYI, I wound up getting the bride a couple of nice photo albums, for the wedding pictures (or whatever). She said they actually have no photo albums, even though the groom is a professional photographer, so she seemed to be pleased. And yes, about an hour of the shower was devoted to opening gifts, so I'm glad I physically brought something. And now her wedding gift is taken care of too.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Premium Member
    That sounds perfect, Lucy. I've given nice picture frames as wedding/shower gifts, too. Most people usually don't think of that.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Super Target grocery shopping question

Hey, I have a question for those of you who do your grocery shopping at those Super Targets: Do they have baggers there anymore for your groceries? I never see any and now the cashiers will bag them, but the customer seems to have to put them in the cart themselves. The other day, I wasn't doing it fast enough and my groceries kept getting hit by the person's behind me. I don't mind doing extra work for a bargain, but the prices seem kinda high there to be a do-it-yourself place.
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 03-25-2007 at 02:19 PM.

The Super Target here has never had baggers. The cashier bags it and you do the rest yourself. He/she will hand it to you though if they aren't too busy.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Thanks lildago. The weird thing is that there were no other customers behind me and she just watched me do it all myself. Maybe I looked like I needed the workout!

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2296163;
    Thanks lildago. The weird thing is that there were no other customers behind me and she just watched me do it all myself. Maybe I looked like I needed the workout!
    Well, some people like to bag their own stuff---don't trust the cashier not to crush the fragile stuff--so once you started maybe she thought you were one of them.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lildago;2296158;
    The Super Target here has never had baggers. The cashier bags it and you do the rest yourself. He/she will hand it to you though if they aren't too busy.
    This is exactly how they do it here, too. Sometimes if they aren't busy a second person will come and help put my stuff in the cart but not usually. It doesn't really bother me, I have to carry it all into the house when I get home anyway, and as long as I'm strong enough to be able to do that for myself I'm just thankful for my health.

+ Reply to Thread