+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5909Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

remotegoddess and Newf: I'm with you. Turn up the symphonies and drown out the rap!

I'd rather have mxxx than ants anyday. Ewwww.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    For the life of me, I have never been able to figure out where the ants are coming from, but they always show up around my computer monitor for about a month, and then they disappear again. They are nowhere else, that I've seen, in the house except in this very location. Are the little brown ants 'sugar ants'?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

The type of ant probably depends on the region where you live.
    Here's a link that might help:

Ants

I had a problem with them in my bathroom and found a nest outside on that side of the house. I treated it with an insecticidal powder and after a couple of weeks, they were gone.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

When I lived in CA, I found out we had ants living in the wall sockets. The plugs kept falling out of the wall and we took one of the plates off and there was a colony all among the wiring. We got rid of them but we never would have thought that ants would take up residence in such a spot. I think I remember the pest control person saying the ants were attracted by the warmth in the wiring.

In GA, we have the dreaded fire ants. Even one bite hurts like crazy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Interesting. I'll take a look there and I'll scour the foundation of the wall opposite the computer desk. Thanks for the suggestions.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

We've lived in this house for 19 years, and only in the last five have we (like our neighbors) been invaded once/year by ants during the hottest time of the year. Once we went backpacking for a week, came home dirty and tired, only to be greeted by thousands of ants (some who liked our place so much they were carrying suitcases) who had basically moved in and taken over the house. They were in my flour cannister, dry dog food container, literally everywhere, sometimes in four-inch wide freeways. Hundreds must have made a cult-like suicide pact because we even found then frozen stiff in the freezer. We vacuumed and sprayed for hours, finally getting rid of them. After that our neighbors told us about the ant traps, and they are wonderful. I know it was mentioned upthread that they didn't work, but maybe it's because there are two kinds. One for grease ants, one for sugar ants. I usually put out both where they seem to be coming from. The hard part is leaving them alone because it can get rather busy (and creepy), but I'll be damned, in 24-48 hours they are GONE. No nasty smells from spray, or worry about using poison with pets. This is what we use.

By the way, we have had them come in from the sockets, too.
    Last edited by roseskid; 03-23-2007 at 01:32 AM.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

We hate ants too. Someone told me that ants dislike citrus juice and suggested using a spray bottle/mister full of lemon juice and water on the areas where the ants were. It worked like a charm to kill the ants that were already there, and after a few days, the ants quit coming from wherever they were coming from. So, now I use lemon "flavored" cleaning products on the counters and floor in the kitchen (where we had the worst ant infestation) and I keep my spray bottle handy to zap any little disgusting ant who is misfortunate enough to enter my domain! Deadant, Deadant, Deadant...
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    My sister used to have the ants come out of her heater in her 4th floor apartment. It was the oddest thing, since there was no food substance anywhere near the heater area. I had the same kind of problem with the sugar ants about a year ago. I used those very traps Roses recommends...worked perfectly. And they were cheap too...I wanna say they were less than $3 for the pack.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    We get them during warm weather which is a bunch of crap. Centipedes included.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2292257;
    Boric acid is good for getting rid of ants. You can lay a line of it along your baseboards, or around where ever they're getting in. If you have colonies outside, you can make a trap using a jar with some holes poked in the lid and placing a little sugar/water/boric acid solution at the bottom.
    And the best part is, it's absolutely safe for people, pets, children and whatever. It kills bugs by getting into the breathing tubes bugs have on their sides (forget the technical name of them)
    I used a kind that comes in a bottle that you 'puff' into cracks in all the spaces around my kitchen, even inside the cabinets.
    I hate bugs in the house!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread