+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree20309Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Good luck, Cornholio! I hope you are not inundated with early birds before you are ready. When my kids were small, I had several yard sales. It was NOT a pleasant experience. Peeps were so cheap they wanted things for like a quarter. And I am not talking about paper back books. One lady was arguing over a $5 price for a baby car seat, I kid you not. I stood my ground. I gave it, afterwards, to my neighbor across the street who had twins. I can be stubborn about stuff if I think folks are really lowballing. I'd rather give it away than sell it to somebody unwilling to pay a fair price. My neighbor once had this guy dump a whole bunch of tools he was holding in his arms right onto the ground b/c my neighbor was unwilling to give the bundle to him for the price he wanted. I mean, how rude!!!

I can't stomach it, anymore, too old, but I hope you have a successful turnout, Corn!

momrek06 and Cornholio like this.

I work for an estate sale company and, in spite of it being "higher end," people still act like jerks over prices: it's just like a garage sale only the prices are higher.

Luckily, my boss is, well, a BOSS. I've seen her toss someone out and tell them they're not welcome at ANY of her sales because they got argumentative and insulting AND I've seen her enforce that rule and keep someone she'd banned from entering a sale. At one sale, a woman came on day 1 and wanted a HUGE discount on a painting. My boss was in a good mood and gave this woman a great deal. Then the woman pitched a hissy over being charged sales tax (which we are required to do, BY LAW). "That wasn't part of the deal. That's not how you do a deal." My boss stood her ground, the woman flounced out without her painting and it went to a MUCH nicer lady for even less a few days later...and yes, she paid the sales tax!

A friend of of mine who'd never done a garage sale, did one of the first time last year. She was horrified that people didn't want to pay the marked price. She said it was awful and she'd never do one again. I told her she'd hate it and wouldn't make much money, but she didn't believe me. If you've got "good stuff" to sell, you can make a nice bit of money on a garage sale, but for most of us, my mom's saying about garage sales is true: "Garage sales are a nice way to make a little money getting rid of stuff you'd normally take to the Goodwill."

My parents' neighborhood does HUGE garage sales sponsored by a local realtor and dozens of homeowners participate. It's all over the housing tract. My mom made a bundle (all things being relative) on old Barbie clothes she'd put in baggies and on sets of sheets she'd put into bags.

With garage sales, it's about not being sentimental AND being smart. Keep everything locked up - garage, cars, your house. It's shocking how people will just go wherever there's an unlocked door and help themselves. My cousin did a garage sale and a woman HID a bunch of stuff so she could come back later and get it for a quarter. My cousin pulled the stuff out when she left and sold it. MAJOR hissy fit when that woman returned and discovered her stash was gone!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Good stories Critical and EastCoast Mom.... now I'm getting more nervous!!! Not sure if I posted earlier, the last time I did a sale I had all the clothes on a clothes rack on hangers with a sign with pricing. I sold everything for $3 per item or 2 for $5. I'm talking nice clothes, some with tags unworn, good brands. I had an early bird come and pull FIFTEEN or TWENTY items off the hangers and scrunch them into a big bunch and try to get me to take $3 for ALL the items. I said no and she threw everything on the GROUND and walked away! SO RUDE.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

We don't have garage sale anymore..well, not many. Just as well, DH likes to pick up things we really dont need..

I sold everything they left behind in this house, on Kijiji..do you have that? its great,especially if you have a photo of it..
    Cornholio likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Cornholio . . . maybe you should make a sign that says, "Homeowner is a police officer. There are security cameras everywhere."
    Cornholio and Fanny Mare like this.
    I'm Paula.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Good stories Critical and EastCoast Mom.... now I'm getting more nervous!!! Not sure if I posted earlier, the last time I did a sale I had all the clothes on a clothes rack on hangers with a sign with pricing. I sold everything for $3 per item or 2 for $5. I'm talking nice clothes, some with tags unworn, good brands. I had an early bird come and pull FIFTEEN or TWENTY items off the hangers and scrunch them into a big bunch and try to get me to take $3 for ALL the items. I said no and she threw everything on the GROUND and walked away! SO RUDE.
    Corn, was this TODAY?

OMG. I have NO WORDS.

HOW absolutely RUDE RUDE RUDE.

Stand your ground, Corn. Do not allow crap like that. Keep to your plan with the prices you have marked them.

ALSO are you allowing "Early Birds"?
    Cornholio likes this.
    KAREN

LOL, yes AZ, I should post that and yes we do have cameras everywhere.

Karen, that was at the sale we did 4 years ago. I'm still upset by it! Incredibly rude. Now I feel like I need to keep a close eye and tell people do NOT pull things off hangers unless you have paid for them! That's why I'm nervous about the early birds!

The funny thing is, we had our driveway pavers re-sanded and sealed this week. The stakes are still in the ground with the "caution tape" blocking off our driveway since we can't put cars on it until Sunday. I'm going to leave that up while we're setting up and have Scott stand out front to tell early birds NO! Nice coincidence that it worked out that way! :-)

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Cornholio, how was the yard sale?

SUPERBOWL SUNDAY!!!! We are NOT sports fans here. I will be waiting for the game to end so I can watch the special episode of This Is Us airing immediately after.

Just finished making a spinach dip for my son to bring to a party he is attending. I usually hollow out a round pumpernickel loaf and use the insides to scoop out the dip. Searched high and low in 2 different stores and they were all put. I am substituting rosemary and olive oil crackers instead.

Enjoy the game!!!

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk
    Punkin and Cornholio like this.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

We're not watching the game, either. We're headed off in a couple of minutes to see "The Commuter," then home to finish binge-watching "Last Tango in Halifax."
    Cornholio likes this.
    I'm Paula.

We saw The Commuter a couple weeks ago. What did you think of the movie, AZ? My DH and I weren't super impressed with the movie. It was ok..and we love Liam Neeson. He is an excellent actor, but this wasn't our favorite movie of his. I thought he was absolutely outstanding in The Grey.
    "Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." ~ Harriet Beecher Stowe

+ Reply to Thread