+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree20006Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    .... Sometimes I wonder why I still live here.
    Me too, but then I remember all the stuff elsewhere I wouldn't want to have to deal with: mudslides, hurricanes, tornadoes, wildfires, sinkholes, tsunamis, --- YIKES!

Think I'll stay here in Ohio and make a snow angel.
    Punkin and beerbelly like this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Be careful, Joseph!

Okay so last week we had freezing temps and below 0 with wind-chill. Thursday dropped a foot of snow. Monday temperature warmed to about 31 and we had freezing rain. Today it hit 61°F and is currently raining!

My beef today is traffic. Headed to see the in-laws after peak travel time and arrived at 11:30 a.m. I had prepared and brought lunch but we had to cut our visit short as there was a wake I needed to attend 15 minutes from my home. It took just under an hour to get to Brooklyn and 2 hours to get to the wake. The hours were 2-4:30 so we arrived at 4.

There is never a good time. Even leaving at 2 pm heading out of the city there is a ridiculous amount of traffic. Grrrr!!!! Sometimes I wonder why I still live here.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk
    Move down to Texas! We have mild winters....plus, live close to your kiddo! (Cold here, 36 out right now...well, that's cold for me!) And maybe we could finally meet!
    Eastcoastmom likes this.
    My head is full of fire and grief and my tongue runs wild, pierced with shards of glass~ Federico García Lorca

It reached 57 degrees last Wednesday and today it's only 17. Brrrrrr..... We didn't get as much snow as they predicted, but there's a thick sheet of ice covering my entire car which is now frozen to the pavement in our driveway. School starts back up next week and so guess I'll use today to get things done around the house before things get busy. Brandon has to work tonight regardless of the weather, so I'll make some chili and do the laundry while he's sleeping.

Must not wake the angry bear.

2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I have a question about whether cold weather affects the reading on how much gas is in your car.

I'm asking because this morning when I got in my car to go to work, the gas gauge was on EMPTY. I don't remember exactly what it was yesterday but I know it was below half a tank and over one-quarter tank. I'm not sure if the col weather made it register lower than usual or if someone stole gas from my car during the night (or if there could possibly be a leak). While I was driving, I was expecting the gauge to go up but instead it dropped to a quarter below empty. I was able to get to a gas station and put $10 of gas in. I'll get more after I get paid.

I've never had this happen before so it sure was weird! I'll be monitoring my gas closely for the next several days and look around the parking lot at home to check for any leaks. I always keep aware of my gas level anyway and try not to let it get below one-quarter while driving in town or below half a tank while traveling. I've never run out of gas before and I don't intend to find out what that's like.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

Maybe the gauge isn't working. The old fashioned way was to keep track of what you put in your tank and how far you drove as an indication when you better refill. Did the gauge go up $10 worth?

The gauge went up. I couldn't tell you if it went up $10 worth! Obviously the amount of gas you can get for $10 varies depending on the price of gas. I just needed to add enough to get through the day because I get paid today so after work I can fill up. $5 might have been enough but I just decided on $10. I'll check it again when I go to lunch.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    In the LA area, you turn on the TV local news at 4:30 AM and they are reporting backups and jams on the freeways. People commute up to 100 miles or more one way every morning. Most are going from east to west, but then the infamous 405 encircles the west side and is an anytime nightmare. Whenever I have to get on it, no matter the time, I take a deep breath and (after the green merge light comes on) accelerate into a mess that will slow without warning. Hah...a couple of months ago I had to go east on the 55 to another town to pick up my medicine (usually mailed, the box was sent to New York) and it took 45 min to go five miles. Anyway... to all of us who get in that car and try to go.
    I don't know anyone who has a long commute like that in LA. Maybe one who drove from Bakersfield into Burbank, but otherwise, no more than 30 miles. As you know, in SoCal, the mileage doesn't matter: it's the time. I commuted from Orange County to Redondo Beach for a year. It was maybe 26 miles and less than 10 of that was not on the freeway. On a good day, that would take me 40 minutes. On a bad day? 3 hours.
    I'm always surprised when I'm visiting my folks and put in a destination on the GPS. It's always a lot closer than I think. At least in miles.

My aunt was visiting us once from St. Louis and she could NOT get her head around the whole mileage vs. time thing. She'd ask my dad how many miles his commute was and he'd answer in time. She just could not understand that it doesn't matter how many miles it is. She thought 30 miles = 30 minutes and just didn't get it no matter how many times we explained it. My dad's commute was on the 405 through the infamous Southbay Curve. He actually left an hour earlier than he needed to and would read in his car for that time rather than sit in traffic.

I live in a city, but the traffic here is nothing like LA or the Bay Area. When people complain about the traffic, I have to laugh: they have NO idea.
    Arielflies likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I have a question about whether cold weather affects the reading on how much gas is in your car.

I'm asking because this morning when I got in my car to go to work, the gas gauge was on EMPTY. I don't remember exactly what it was yesterday but I know it was below half a tank and over one-quarter tank. I'm not sure if the col weather made it register lower than usual or if someone stole gas from my car during the night (or if there could possibly be a leak). While I was driving, I was expecting the gauge to go up but instead it dropped to a quarter below empty. I was able to get to a gas station and put $10 of gas in. I'll get more after I get paid.

I've never had this happen before so it sure was weird! I'll be monitoring my gas closely for the next several days and look around the parking lot at home to check for any leaks. I always keep aware of my gas level anyway and try not to let it get below one-quarter while driving in town or below half a tank while traveling. I've never run out of gas before and I don't intend to find out what that's like.
    My bet is that someone siphoned your gas. You'd see/smell gas around your car if it was a leak.
    Brooks likes this.
    I'm Paula.

The same problem happened again this morning. The gas gauge was at 3/4 full last night and this morning it was below 1/4! I went straight to Firestone instead of going to work to find out if there was a leak or a defective gas gauge. It ends up that there's a problem with the instrument panel so it's going to have to be replaced. I can't afford to do it now so in the meantime, I'll put a few dollars of gas in every few days to make sure it's not low and when I get my tax refund, I can get the repair done at the dealership.

I hate that this is happening. I had planned to put my tax refund toward condo repairs but this car repair is going to take a large chunk of it.

At least if it was going to happen, it happened close to tax time. This would have been much worse if it had happened a few months ago when I didn't have money coming in to fix it. I sure don't want to have to go back to riding the bus! Eventually I am going to have to get another car but for now I want to get my condo problems taken care of first. I need my car to limp along a few years longer until I can afford to replace it.

Pikachu, really, there was a time when there was no gas gauge, or not reliably so. People kept track of how much they drove. I don't think it was considered a big deal then, but certainly long before my time. At least you know there is no leak, that couldn't have waited. A nuisance, but doesn't need to be more than that. But so sorry this has added to your burden!

Frankly, I was half considering you went on a bender and had a period of time you couldn't have accounted for. The kitties would have been so horrified if their mom had to do a perp walk. See, not so bad! ;^)
    Punkin likes this.

+ Reply to Thread