+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree20309Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'll take an earthquake over snow, tornadoes, hurricanes and all the rest of it ANY DAY. While the rest of the country is dealing with snow and cold, it's lovely and warm out here in CA - currently 72 and sunny. Plus, how often do we get earthquakes? Once every few years MAYBE and they're hardly ever very big (the last really big one with a notable death toll was Northridge and that was 20+ years ago!). How often do other parts of the country get terrible storms and tornadoes with tons of damage and fatalities? Every freaking year. IMO, there's no contest!

As someone that has lived both EAST and WEST coast .... and for a long number of years each .... I felt I could honestly comment.

The prep for these Nor'easters or hurricanes or snowstorms or BOMB CYCLONES was/is always so annoying.

The weathermen predict a storm and then everyone starts to worry about everything from having enough food to losing power to making sure they have their home oil tanks filled.

They run to the Supermarket and Home Depot and the Gas Station to make sure their cars had plenty of gas.

We always made sure our generator was in the perfect working condition.

Believe me, I was one of them (for yearssss). There were storms that were so bad that we did not leave the house for days except to shovel the driveway and walkways over and over again.

And as far as A/C .... naaa, only in the Summer. Never in the Winter as our temps absolutely dip down. Not to negative degrees but the low is generally 50's and 60's.

BUT also we have NO HUMIDITY.

I also have SOLAR so my bill is rarely over $5.00 a month.
    Punkin likes this.
    KAREN

This 4.4 was nothing. Pffftt! We hardly notice these little ones. The last one that was scary for the Bay Area was the Loma Prieta earthquake in October 1989, just as the World Series game between SF Giants and Oakland A's was about to begin. That one was a 6.9 with pretty good aftershocks. And that one was centered almost 60 miles away to the south. When the Big Hayward One finally hits, only 7 miles across the Bay, then we'll be in pretty big trouble!

You must have been in the Napa area for that 6.0, Karen. Many here in the Bay Area felt that one, but I slept right through it. My mother's side of the family has been here since long before the 1906 Quake, so we're used to them. Snow, blizzards, tornadoes, hurricanes? Not so much! Give me a nice shaky quake over those any day!
    Arielflies and momrek06 like this.
    Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    This 4.4 was nothing. Pffftt! We hardly notice these little ones. The last one that was scary for the Bay Area was the Loma Prieta earthquake in October 1989, just as the World Series game between SF Giants and Oakland A's was about to begin. That one was a 6.9 with pretty good aftershocks. And that one was centered almost 60 miles away to the south. When the Big Hayward One finally hits, only 7 miles across the Bay, then we'll be in pretty big trouble!

You must have been in the Napa area for that 6.0, Karen. Many here in the Bay Area felt that one, but I slept right through it. My mother's side of the family has been here since long before the 1906 Quake, so we're used to them. Snow, blizzards, tornadoes, hurricanes? Not so much! Give me a nice shaky quake over those any day!
    We were on the TOP floor of the Marriott Marquis on Mission/Market in SF. We felt it as the building ROLLED back and forth.

As a Civil Engineer my hubby yelled out PERFECT, this is what should happen when there is an EQ.

Due to state of the art SEISMIC codes in California, all buildings ROLL .... its called RETROFITTING.

All buildings no matter their age are all being Retrofitted to meet the newest Seismic codes.

And remember the EQ's last under a minute. AND most people sleep through them as did Punkin.

There have been no deaths from an EQ in 20 years as Critical stated.
    KAREN

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    We were on the TOP floor of the Marriott Marquis on Mission/Market in SF. We felt it as the building ROLLED back and forth.

As a Civil Engineer my hubby yelled out PERFECT, this is what should happen when there is an EQ.

Due to state of the art SEISMIC codes in California, all buildings ROLL .... its called RETROFITTING.

All buildings no matter their age are all being Retrofitted to meet the newest Seismic codes.

And remember the EQ's last under a minute. AND most people sleep through them as did Punkin.

There have been no deaths from an EQ in 20 years as Critical stated.
    if you have a small EQ, that's good right, because you want the plates to move. I worry about Vancouver( BC) they keep saying the small islands surrounded by water will flood..
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Now that I live on the 15th floor of a retrofitted building, I know that a 4.5 or higher will really bump me back and forth. Not looking forward to it. When you don't feel one (1's - 3's happen all the time) you become complacent.

They've done a study where if/when the San Andreas cracks below San Bernardino in the 9 range, where I live in Costa Mesa will end up on the shore of Huntington Beach. My old computer used to have the video and it was scary to see how much displacement there would be.

I grew up in heavy snow and it was hard for days, sometimes weeks, to make going outside normal. Would I take a 1-5 second quake over a snow blizzard...hmm.
    Punkin likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I need to go outside soon and start shoveling. Snow was supposed to have let up but it's still coming strong and the winds are howling. **IF** I can force the front and back doors open, not sure... I'm having visions of an EQ swallowing up all this snow, is that possible? LOL So I'm about to feel really sorry for myself for a couple hours but all is well so long as I don't lose power. With temperatures heading close to 0 tonight and strong winds keeping up, power outages are the biggest concern but my area has been very stable.

I took down most of my Christmas decorations today. (Table top tree is still up because the cats like to hide under it.) Usually I wait for weeks, but I figure the sooner the Christmas stuff is banished to the basement the sooner winter will be over, right? LOL.
    Punkin and Arielflies like this.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Hey, @Beerbelly. This was taken near Mickey Spillane's bar. Staying inside looks like a good idea!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    shyra, Brooks, Amy Lee and 1 others like this.
    I'm Paula.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    I need to go outside soon and start shoveling. Snow was supposed to have let up but it's still coming strong and the winds are howling. **IF** I can force the front and back doors open, not sure... I'm having visions of an EQ swallowing up all this snow, is that possible? LOL So I'm about to feel really sorry for myself for a couple hours but all is well so long as I don't lose power. With temperatures heading close to 0 tonight and strong winds keeping up, power outages are the biggest concern but my area has been very stable.

I took down most of my Christmas decorations today. (Table top tree is still up because the cats like to hide under it.) Usually I wait for weeks, but I figure the sooner the Christmas stuff is banished to the basement the sooner winter will be over, right? LOL.
    I took ours down new years day..(much to my husbands dismay.. ) looked lovely over Christmas, then I wanted my front room back to being uncluttered
    AZChristian likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    if you have a small EQ, that's good right, because you want the plates to move. I worry about Vancouver( BC) they keep saying the small islands surrounded by water will flood..
    If you are talking about the Cascadian Subduction Zone, Fanny, you are talking about a whole 'nother kind of earthquake disaster. One that could knock out not just Vancouver, but Seattle and large swaths of the Washington and Oregon coasts! I'll stick with little San Andreas, thank you!

Mother Earth slowly reveals her secrets, and this time, it's a fault line deep in the belly of the planet.
    Its name is a whopper: The Cascadia subduction zone.
    Its gargantuan size and potential power amaze earthquake experts, who say it could cause the worst natural disaster in the history of North America -- if it ruptures entirely.

This quake-maker sits at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean, where the seabed meets the North American tectonic plate. In all, it stretches 700 miles along the Pacific Northwest, from British Columbia's Vancouver Island to Washington to Oregon to northern California's Cape Mendocino.

In fact, "the Cascadia" already has made history, causing the largest earthquake in the continental United States on January 26, 1700. That's when the Cascadia unleashed one of the world's biggest quakes, causing a tsunami so big that it rampaged across the Pacific and damaged coastal villages in Japan

Now it's a question of when the Cascadia will strike again, scientists say.

That big one could "hit at any time," and there's even a website called Aftershock that allows Oregonians to enter their address for a custom report on seismic risks. If the Cascadia were to experience a large-magnitude earthquake, the temblor and resulting tsunami could kill more than 11,000 people and injure more than 26,000, according to one FEMA model.

Cascadia more fearsome than San Andreas

Everyone knows the Cascadia's cousin in California: the San Andreas Fault. It gets all the scary glamor, with even a movie this year, "San Andreas," dramatizing an apocalypse in the western U.S.
    Truth is, the San Andreas is a lightweight compared with the Cascadia.
    The Cascadia can deliver a quake that's many times stronger -- plus a tsunami.
    "Cascadia can make an earthquake almost 30 times more energetic than the San Andreas to start with, and then it generates a tsunami at the same time, which the side-by-side motion of the San Andreas can't do," said Chris Goldfinger, a professor of geophysics at Oregon State University.

The Cascadia is capable of delivering a 9.0-magnitude quake -- an awesome show of force by Mother Nature.
    "You're going to have three to five minutes of shaking, and if you're used to earthquakes in California, they typically last 15 to 30 seconds and before you are really sure of what is happening, it is over," Goldfinger says.

A 9.0 will be different.
    Cascadia subduction zone worse than San Andreas fault - CNN
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    Already about 10 inches. I went to the bodega this morning and everything was open on my block. God, nothing stops NYCers! I passed a gentleman who said 'I love snow! It's about time!'

As beautiful as it is out there.....I think that's the last time I'm going out.
    In anticipation of this, I spent time on Earthcam watching the footage in Times Square.
    Blow a kiss, fire a gun, we need someone to lean on

+ Reply to Thread