+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree19261Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

There was an interesting article in The New Yorker yesterday about this. https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...ting-terrorism

Here is the part where I found the most compelling argument as to why we should not call it terrorism:

The argument confuses cause and effect. The fact that people are terrorized doesn’t necessarily mean that an act of terror has been committed. This matters, because language matters. When terms are used too broadly, or just sloppily, they lose their meaning.

Perhaps more important, consider the potential consequences of broadening the use of the term “terrorism” to include white men who express generalized rage by firing the guns so easily available to them. More people, potentially, would be subjected to entrapment, inflated sentences, and torture conditions—hardly a desirable outcome, even if the injustice would be spread a little more fairly. Worse, these killers would get to enjoy an entirely different profile after committing their crimes.

Part of the appeal of claiming an affiliation with, say, ISIS, is that it automatically raises a potential terrorist from thug to enemy combatant. When I was covering the Boston Marathon bombing trial, in 2014, I lost track of the number of times the assistant district attorney said the phrase “They attacked us”—meaning, the Tsarnaev brothers attacked America. In fact, though, they didn’t “attack us”: they killed people at random. That heinous act, whether committed by a Muslim in Boston or a (presumed) Christian in Las Vegas, should not be glorified as an act of war.

We fight terrorism all wrong. We elevate the accused terrorist and proceed to destroy him. Turning the inhumane, illogical, and often extralegal weapons of this war against yet more enemies would serve only to degrade our legal and political culture further. It may also heighten the appeal of senseless violence, by imbuing it with meaning.
    beerbelly likes this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: As Playful, Faithful And Adorable As A Puppy Dog, But With Better Breath! ~ DWTS 20 Pool Winner ~ AGT 10 2nd Place ~ DWTS 22 3rd Place

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

I'm interested to see what the shooters girlfriend knows.
    I hope she at least noticed all the weapons..
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Something we can all start doing right away is to take better care of ourselves. In particular, eat better and encourage those around us to as well. Good health starts in the gut. Good health isn't possible if our gut and gut microbes aren't in good shape. That includes mental health. There's nothing health promoting about the Western diet. Some level of increased craziness should be expected as our chronic health on a societal level has deteriorated over the years.

I take a good probiotic,( we both do) and just started taking digestive enzymes.
    Brooks and Cornholio like this.
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    There was an interesting article in The New Yorker yesterday about this. https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...ting-terrorism

Here is the part where I found the most compelling argument as to why we should not call it terrorism:

The argument confuses cause and effect. The fact that people are terrorized doesn’t necessarily mean that an act of terror has been committed. This matters, because language matters. When terms are used too broadly, or just sloppily, they lose their meaning.

Perhaps more important, consider the potential consequences of broadening the use of the term “terrorism” to include white men who express generalized rage by firing the guns so easily available to them. More people, potentially, would be subjected to entrapment, inflated sentences, and torture conditions—hardly a desirable outcome, even if the injustice would be spread a little more fairly. Worse, these killers would get to enjoy an entirely different profile after committing their crimes.

Part of the appeal of claiming an affiliation with, say, ISIS, is that it automatically raises a potential terrorist from thug to enemy combatant. When I was covering the Boston Marathon bombing trial, in 2014, I lost track of the number of times the assistant district attorney said the phrase “They attacked us”—meaning, the Tsarnaev brothers attacked America. In fact, though, they didn’t “attack us”: they killed people at random. That heinous act, whether committed by a Muslim in Boston or a (presumed) Christian in Las Vegas, should not be glorified as an act of war.

We fight terrorism all wrong. We elevate the accused terrorist and proceed to destroy him. Turning the inhumane, illogical, and often extralegal weapons of this war against yet more enemies would serve only to degrade our legal and political culture further. It may also heighten the appeal of senseless violence, by imbuing it with meaning.
    There's always going to be people who question whether an act of violence is appropriately classified as 'terrorism,' and since there is no universal definition, I guess it all depends on jurisdiction.

I was going by the US Code Of Federal Regulations which defines terrorism as, “The unlawful use of force and violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives” (28 C.F.R. Section 0.85).

The US. Department Of Justice gets a little more specific with 'Domestic' -vs- 'International.' It defines Domestic Terrorism as, "The unlawful use, or threatened use, of force or violence by a group or individual based and operating entirely within the United States or Puerto Rico without foreign direction committed against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof in furtherance of political or social objectives."
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

committed against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof in furtherance of political or social objectives."
    It is this part of the quote regarding domestic terrorism. I, personally, don't think a mass murder without warning (intimidation) or without a manifesto (stated objectives) qualifies as terrorism.
    Cornholio and Photobabe like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to our Canadian FoRTers!!!

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

I'll add my wishes for all of you way, way up North to enjoy a day of thanks and feasting.

And here is the history...so thankful to NOT be Americans.

Canadian Thanksgiving: How Is It Different From US Version? | Time.com

First paragraph:

Between turkey dinners and family reunions, Canadian Thanksgiving — which falls on Monday — can look pretty similar to its U.S. counterpart. But in fact, part of the reason Canadians first petitioned for the holiday was to celebrate their luck at not being American.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 10-09-2017 at 12:24 AM.
    Eastcoastmom and Fanny Mare like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

But in fact, part of the reason Canadians first petitioned for the holiday was to celebrate their luck at not being American.
    No way! Not me

I dont like Turkey( we have one at Christmas) so we had a nice roast chicken dinner..Im stuffed, kinda like the bird was..
    Thanks ECM. Thanks Ariel

x
    -Andy Rooney-

OMG! Northern California is on fire! Napa and Sonoma Counties have several fires. My son and his family are in Santa Rosa and have no power, but may have to evacuate. My granddaughter, at Sonoma State, can't come home because the freeway is closed. We have been outside watching the TV in the backyard since about 5:00am and you can smell the smoke here, about 100 miles south of the fires.
    Lynda

+ Reply to Thread