+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree20309Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Because of being in AZ, I'm 3 hours behind the east coast, so I'm just catching up on messages that came in overnight.

Updates:

Pikachu is fine. She and I just spoke on the phone. Her place did not flood. There was lots of wind and rain, but by the time the storm really hit her area, it had been downgraded to a level 2. That's still pretty darned fierce, though. She had just lost power again, and reports from the electric company said that their workers are still in a mandatory sheltered order, and would start working to regain power as soon as they are able.

The last report from Becky is a text message that she sent about 11:30 last night. Here's a summary:

"Hubby and I are safe and sound, made it through the 130 mph wind gusts earlier.

Everyone who stayed in place on my street made it through safely. We all have mostly all pool cage screen panels missing and many many trees down, just loads of tree debris. Some shingles off and we need a new front door (hurricane rated!!) and frame.

Hubby has been working as is mandatory for his first-responder job this weekend. He is at a shelter dealing with 700 people and no power. He's fine! He hopes to make it home in the am to shower, change and assess damage before heading back to work.

I sheltered alone with Salem (her cat) through the storm, but with support from our amazing neighbors, we've all been in constant contact. I was in the closet below the stairs, safest place to be, during the storm.

I'm not gonna lie - I had some fear at the peak with the slamming and howling noises and when the front door cracked. I heard the racket and left the closet to check (in case house was compromised I was going to move to garage). Water streamed in and the front doors were flexing. I got a bucket, duct tape and plastic sheeting. Taped frame best I could, taped sheeting up and bucket to catch water. Double doors were flexing so I ran to closet and got 2 belts, wrapped around door handles to hold them together, then back to closet.

Everything held together. When the eye came we all went outside in the calm to see the damage. Neighbor Joe led the charge to clear the culverts and swails to prepare for the expected storm surge. Our street looked like a huge muddy river, also impassable due to downed trees.

No power since 4:00. Phone has been dead but charged tonight on a neighbors generator. Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers and worry. Just wanted you to know we are all fine here!! Don't really know what else to expect - last we heard maybe 4 foot storm surge around 2-3 am? Or will there be no storm surge? Don't know! I'll do my best to keep you posted, all is great now!!!"
    ==============

Is anyone else letting out a big sigh of relief right now? I was almost in tears when talking to Pikachu, because I was so glad she was ok. These women amaze me.
    Oh my gosh AZ. I was tensing up reading this. I'm so bloody happy to read they are okay. I don't know if I have tears of joy right now, or sadness for what they went through. Thankyou for keeping in touch with them, and then keeping us in the loop!
    X
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

That's a big sigh of relief from me, Paula!!! Thanks for the update!
    Cornholio and AZChristian like this.
    Lynda

So scary! Thank you for letting us know.
    AZChristian likes this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Oh my gosh I cannot even imagine what Becky had to experience alone with her kitty. What a brave person she is! I am so relieved that she, her hubby, and Pikachu are all right.

Now the arduous task of repairing the hurricane damages begins. I hope there won't be any more surges or further damage.

My thoughts continue to be with them and the people of Florida.

Thank you, AZ, for the update.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I think the storm is starting to arrive. The power went off shortly after I woke up but it's back on now. The wind and rain had been very mild but over the last 10 minutes or so, I can hear it increasing. So far the cats and I are fine. I'm just ready for this all to be over.
    What a good mum you are..
    Punkin and AZChristian like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Another update from Becky (I can't tell you how much I appreciate her letting us know how things are going):
    • She's exhausted but sooooo relieved. Assessing damages today.
    • Hubby was able to come home for 15 minutes to set up their generator, so now she can power the fridge, phone chargers, fan and lamp.
    • Hubby got reassigned from shelter duty to chainsaw duty, cutting down damaged trees.
    • They need a new front door and frame. A tree came down on the front left corner of their roof, but it looks like it just damaged the gutter and fascia board.
    • Lots of trees down and debris. She was able to drive around and try to check out a couple of rental properties she owns. East Naples is bad. There was 18 inches of water in one of the houses; their other cottage was bone dry, in spite of flooding all around it. To quote Becky, "I am not overly emotional but I broke down crying with happiness when I found ZERO damage."
    • She was unable to get into the area of the other properties she owns, but reports from a drone show not much damage in that area.
    • She's starting the cleanup, is going for a swim, and then the real work begins.
    Punkin, waywyrd, beerbelly and 5 others like this.
    I'm Paula.

Thanks, AZ!
    Count your blessings!

That made me so happy! Especially at the end...she's going for a swim? Becky and Mr. Becky are super strong!
    Punkin, Cootie, Cornholio and 1 others like this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Just spoke with Pikachu. Her power is already back on!!! Cable will follow, but at least she has the ability to cook and her a/c is working. I'm so happy for our FoRTers who came through all of this safely.
    Punkin, Brooks, PGM35 and 5 others like this.
    I'm Paula.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

The power has been on since about 5 but the cable, phone and internet are still out. I came to work so I could get online to post updates and look for local news. I haven't been able to find any radio stations giving local news about which streets are closed, which businesses are open, if state workers are still due back at work on Wednesday or if the office closures have been extended. It's been so frustrating!!!

When I left my neighborhood, one end of the connecting street (Paul Russell) was blocked off by service vehicles so I went the other way. At the end of that street, a big tree was splintered and lying off to the side of the road. I assume it was either in the road or on a power line and the city crews chopped it up and moved it out of the way.

McDonalds and Starbucks were both closed, which was too bad because I thought they would be the most likely to be open and have wi-fi. Dairy Queen was open but there was a line of cars out to the street and I wasn't sure if they had wi-fi. By that point, I was so close to work, I decided to go there. I didn't think until I logged in that I can't post to Facebook here so I can't update my Facebook friends. Grrr!!

Anyway, I'm doing fine and I've called a bunch of friends and family to check on them and they're fine. One person had a tree fall on their son's car and total it but other than that, there has been minimal damage from the storm.

Thanks to Paula for relaying messages for me. I didn't want you all to worry.
    Punkin, Gutmutter, Cootie and 5 others like this.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

+ Reply to Thread