+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree17479Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Yesterday I reaffirmed the most depressing, ego deflating, image demolishing, self esteem destroying, humiliating thing a woman can do:........Swimsuit shopping! And I found out what's even worse:........Swimsuit shopping after you're over 60!

I'm a small person. A size 4. Not in vanity sizing, but in regular, any store sizing. Even if clothes run quite small, I'm a 6 at very most. I work out daily, sometimes twice a day & dance 3X a week in addition. But when I tried them on I was darned near in tears. I looked like I had at least 40 lbs of excess lumpy yellow fat stuffed under my skin all over my body. My thighs bulged out, my back bulged over the edge of the suit, I had back fat. Everywhere the suit ended & skin began I bulged over. I tried on one with side cutouts & my entire middle bulged & sagged. My belly bulged & my chest looked flat as a pancake. It was awful. The pasty white skin didn't help either.
    In case you're wondering, I wasn't trying on skimpy string bikinis or anything overly revealing like that. I was trying on tankinis & one pieces.
    I did reaffirm my already existing knowledge that one pieces aren't for me either. I'm short bodied & they're just too long. They bunch in the middle. Tankinis are the way to go for me. The top covers well over the bottom.

I just booked a vacation for this Summer at a hotel with a beautiful outdoor pool & patio. I need a new suit desperately. I haven't shopped for one in years. I need to do this. Thank God I have a few months to find one.

This is ugly.
    Punkin, Brooks and Cornholio like this.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

Hi Miss Scarlet.... so sorry you had that shopping experience and especially since you are so tiny & in great shape! How depressing.

Have you checked out Venus swimwear? I always feel like a million bucks in their suits!

Tankini Swimwear Tops | Venus
    Miss Scarlet likes this.

Miss Scarlet, it's not you, it's that #(*&% fluorescent lighting in the dressing rooms, LOL.

I guess tankini is what I ended up with last time. Didn't know the style had a name. One of my goals was to cover up a little more so I wouldn't burn as much.
    Miss Scarlet likes this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I'm sorry, Miss Scarlet, that you had such a negative shopping excursion. I cannot imagine being a size 4 and having anything bulging at all. At 60+ I commend you for all the exercise and dancing you do! Keep looking and don't be discouraged!

Just a reminder that Daylight Saving Time begins tomorrow, Sunday, March 12 at 2 a.m. so remember to set your clocks an hour ahead.

Punkin and Miss Scarlet like this.

I swim 5 days a week and everywhere you turn there are mirrors in the locker room. I guess I've gotten used to seeing myself in a plain, black tank suit. I even let a friend post a picture on Facebook of me by the pool giving her son a thumbs up. He's swimming in the New England championship meet today.
    navybelle likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Oh, Miss Scarlet, sounds awful! Gravity can be harsh, but so can those lights! Good luck with your search, and at least you have a nice vacation to look forward to. Congrats on keeping active and fit into your sixties - whoo hoo!

I'm in search of ideas, in case any of you creative people can help me again. I work in an old elementary school, which is going to be closing so we can move into new space adjacent to the high school. It's 75 years old, and we are planning a Closing Ceremony to go with our spring concert in May. So along with singing, we're planning an Open House, old yearbook pictures, refreshments. We've put out a request for stories/memories, too, but I think we're missing something to really make it a celebration, fitting for all the years the building has served this small community. Any ideas of what we can do, to honor and celebrate it, before closing its doors? Thanks!

Navybelle, have you invited alumni, both students and teachers? And, what about a display of 1942 items like a typewriter, an old radio, some ditto assignment sheets, a ration book, fountain pens, a 48 star US flag, etc.

If you could find the clothes, having some kids and/or teachers dress in 1940's garb and hair styles might be fun. Maybe have the dress up group sing a 40's hit like "I'll be Seeing You" or "Swingin' on a Star"
    I am one step away from being rich. All I need now is money

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

I hate swimsuit shopping, more than shopping for jeans. I ended up getting a tankini, and a one piece. I had a suggestion a long time ago, they need new lights, the ones that give you a rosy tone. The best thing I ever did, was go for a spray tan before I tried on swim suits. The bright colours looked good, and black looked very slimming. I have gained weight around my waist, its most upsetting seeing it, in all its glory when I try on anything it seems...I cried. So I feel your pain Miss Scarlet.
    Miss Scarlet likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Hi Miss Scarlet.... so sorry you had that shopping experience and especially since you are so tiny & in great shape! How depressing.

Have you checked out Venus swimwear? I always feel like a million bucks in their suits!

Tankini Swimwear Tops | Venus
    I found a few on there that I really like, & the prices are comparable to our Department Store prices, but no way would I buy a swimsuit without trying it on first. Short, short bodied, small busted, "older" body, all add up to try it on. I dread the possibility of buying & having to send back, possibly multiple times, not to mention the shipping & handling both ways. It's what keeps me from online clothes shopping. However, I'll keep this link in mind if I don't find anything acceptable around here.
    I talked to a clerk in our largest Department Store (we don't have many) and she said the suits have just begun to come in. In the next month or so they'll be getting a lot more. I got my last one there many years ago & know their quality is good, if not cheap.
    Plus, I may be going out of town before Summer & plan to check malls if need be.
    Cornholio likes this.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

I totally understand Miss Scarlet! I was able to try Venus swimwear on in person at Ron Jon's Surf Shop before I bought my first one. They are cut really well. I usually tend to buy suits that are made for surfing - O'Neill, Roxy, RipCurl, Body Glove etc. These "action" suits are well-made and stay put regardless of what you are doing-- they also last a long time through lots of wear. I've also found them at Marshall's & TJ Maxx for reasonable prices... it may be worthwhile to check those stores if you have them near by? I also just happened to pick up a really cute red and blue striped Michael Kors suit at TJMaxx a few weeks ago!

+ Reply to Thread