+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4476Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

'Shay, I love the SoniCare toothbrush. Be warned, though, the first few times you use it, it tickles like crazy. My husband and I got them for Christmas one year and the first few times we used them, we would both look at each other and laugh like fools.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

MRD
    THis is weird, but I have never been able to use an electric toothbrush as it tickles my nose with the vibrations and makes me sneeze which is fun with a mouthfull of toothpaste.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

The quilt discussion reminded me of this story from the Wednesday CBS evening news.

Jean Quilts Warm Wounded U.S. Soldiers
    GRANT, Iowa, March 7, 2007(CBS)

In the teensy town of Grant, Iowa, population only 100 or so, the busiest and noisiest place just might be right in Andrea Holldorf's living/sewing room, CBS News correspondent Cynthia Bowers reports.

"My husband helps me and we cut at night," Holldorf says.

They cut old blue jeans into squares to sew into quilts, one square at a time. The quilts are intended to warm the bodies and souls of wounded American soldiers.

"Blue jeans is something that just about everybody wears and that's comfort. To me, it's comfort, and I hope to them it's comfort," Holldorf says.

Holldorf's brother served in Desert Storm and her mother during the Korean War. She says a lot more goes into these quilts than just the jeans.

"I have got a lot of love in these quilts because I know the sacrifices. I do. In my heart I know. And I just hope this helps just a little bit," Holldorf says.

As a kidney cancer survivor, the retired 58-year-old understands suffering and the need to focus on something bigger than herself.

But she had no way of knowing that her labor of love would take on a life of its own. Just days after CBS affiliate KCCI told Holldorf's story and it was distributed nationally something extraordinary happened.

Blue jeans began arriving by the truckload from every corner of the country. She received so many that she and her husband, Al, were in danger of being "boxed out" of their home and their RV.

"The first week, I got a hundred-and-some boxes. And it was anywhere from 12-to-25 boxes a day," Holldorf says.

It was evidence, she says, that everybody wants to help. What she needs now are quilting supplies and help with the cost of getting the quilts from the U.S. to injured soldiers at Walter Reed Hospital in Washington.

"They're getting hurt over there, and they don't have their family to hold them or hug them and say it's going to be all right, and this is kind of my way of saying 'it's going to be all right. We love you; it's going to be all right,'" Holldorf says.

Or at least a little bit better, with the help of people Andrea Holldorf.

Andrea says no more jeans: She has plenty. But if you would like to donate quilting supplies, like batting (low loft crib size) or thread (machine quilting, blue or any color), or money for postage, please send it to:

Andrea Holldorf
    P.O. Box 258
    408 Jefferson
    Grant, IA 50847
    You can watch the video at the link below. It was amazing to see all of the boxes of jeans that people have sent to her.

Jean Quilts Warm Wounded U.S. Soldiers, Andrea Holldorf Cuts Jeans Into Squares And Sews Them Into Quilts To Offer Comfort To War Heroes - CBS News

Okay, ladies and gentlemen - one small change. This thread will now be the place to discuss your pet peeves, as well as the topics that previously would have gone into "Just How Stupid Are You?" Have fun!

Excellent idea . Both peeves and stupidity invariably want to evolve into general conversation.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by viennawoods;2272105;
    Im looking for ideas for great hamburgers in NYC coz I'm tired of goin to the same old burger stand I often hang out with. Any part of manhattan. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    I haven't been there personally, but the Hungry Detective on the Food Network recommended the Shake Shack in the grounds around Madison Square Park. The burgers did look good, and in the same episode he recommended 2 really good restaurants I've been to (Dinosaur BBQ and Kitchenette) so he may be on to something. If I'm in the mood for a burger when I'm in NYC in April, I may just have to go check it out.

Koffee Klatch--The Thread that Ate New FoRT City
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2274226;
    Koffee Klatch--The Thread that Ate New FoRT City
    ..........You are priceless Newf
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

MRD
    what a great idea as so much of that does go into conversations.

So will the name change?

For some reason now I am thinking of this thread as "Stupid Pet Koffee"
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2274782;
    what a great idea as so much of that does go into conversations.

So will the name change?

For some reason now I am thinking of this thread as "Stupid Pet Koffee"
    Stupid pet koffee... Then we might start trading stories about Garfield like cats who drink coffee which would go in animal lovers .HAHAHAHAHA

Anyway heres my peeve: drunken neighbors who decide that the hallway is the party "private conversation" area while talking very LOUDLY.
    Last edited by just1paul; 03-11-2007 at 09:17 AM.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread