+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7139Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Yeah, Moose Factory is probably not a lot of fun for a kid . I want to go because I'm interested in history and the narwhale, and I want to do some paintings of the north.

There still is no road up there, by the way.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

If money were no object and you HAD to stay in your own country, what trip would you take?
    We've hit a spell of warm weather, so the one place that I really want to go is my garden Time to rake up debris, start adding soil amendments, maybe risk an early run of radishes . . . Beyond that, the two road trips for funerals that I've taken this year have pretty well killed any desire to travel, at least for a while.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

All this time I thought moose came from other moose.

In this area (though Cleveland is close, I'll leave it to someone who lives there) are the Football Hall of Fame; Stan Hywett Hall and Gardens; Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area and while small, the Akron Art Museum is quite nice (though undergoing renovation now). Cedar Point is close as is an Amish community where you can tour farms, shop and eat. We have loads of locally owned and operated restaurants, (chains don't count) too - visitors are often surprised at the variety and quality.

As for a restaurant recommendation (tough choice) - we have a local chef who trained under a rather quite famous restauranteur in New Orleans. His menu is an eclectic mix of Cajun, Creole, Italian, fresh fish, aged steaks and seasonal specials. If you are ever in the Akron area, do not miss Russo's.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

If I could go anywhere in the US, it would be Floriday. I am a Disneyophile, and want to go to Disneyworld. Also, I have a BUNCH of relatives in Florida I have never ever met, so it would be interesting to meet them. Also, somewhere in Florida, I heard there was a Salvador Dali museum, and he's one of my favorite artists, so I would be sure to go there. Also, try to figure out where the landmarks in Florida represent landmarks in the fictional world of Xanth... because I am a nerd like that.

Well, the one restaurant that I HIGHLY recommend in Seattle is called the Blue Onion Bistro. It's known for comfort food. So far, everything I've eaten there has been YUMMY! Their mac n cheese is very rich. Their tuna noodle is awesome. They have large portions and is very eccelectic inside.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBrat;2257864;
    If I could go anywhere in the US, it would be Floriday. I am a Disneyophile, and want to go to Disneyworld. Also, I have a BUNCH of relatives in Florida I have never ever met, so it would be interesting to meet them. Also, somewhere in Florida, I heard there was a Salvador Dali museum, and he's one of my favorite artists, so I would be sure to go there. Also, try to figure out where the landmarks in Florida represent landmarks in the fictional world of Xanth... because I am a nerd like that.

Well, the one restaurant that I HIGHLY recommend in Seattle is called the Blue Onion Bistro. It's known for comfort food. So far, everything I've eaten there has been YUMMY! Their mac n cheese is very rich. Their tuna noodle is awesome. They have large portions and is very eccelectic inside.
    The Salvador Dali museum is in St. Petersburg, Florida. About 90 min. give or take from Disney and definetly worth going to see.
    The Ringling Museum in Sarasota is good too. It's on the water and you can tour the museum of art, John Ringling's mansion and the Ringling circus museum all on the same property and also his wifes big and beautiful rose garden.
    If you make it to St. Petersburg, Ted Peter's Smoked Fishhouse is GREAT. It's this little shack of a place that serves smoked fish (their smoked mullet spread is to die for), sandwiches and great coleslaw and potato salad. It's near St. Pete Beach. It's the kind of place you can go after the beach with sand on you, in your bathing suit and flip flops and eat really good food.
    It's also been there for about 40 years.

I'd like to do a tour of the west. I want to see the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Yosemite, The Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, etc.

If you visit Greenville, SC, there is a lot of history. Downtown is very cool. They have a bronze mouse scavenger hunt based on the book Goodnight Moon. There are a lot of statues (including Shoeless Joe Jackson who is from here and Nathianl Greene, Revoluntionary War hero who the town is named for). Lots of outdoor restaurants and cool shopping. There is a minor league baseball team, a Confederate War Museum, a historic district with beautiful old homes and big oak trees. You can go to the BMV plant for a tour and a ride on the test track. There are Revoluntionary and Civil war battlefields nearby.
    And right now George Clooney and Renee Zellweger are shooting a movie here and staying downtown and the big thing is to hang outside the hotel they are staying out for glimpses and no, I have NOT done that, but I know people that have.
    Falls Park is breath taking. It's a huge park downtown with a waterfall, suspension bridge and lots of little hidden parks and benches and porch swings included.
    The best place we've eaten here (there are so many restaurants and we have not been out much so there could be even better places) is a cool place from the 1970's called the Mellow Mushroom. It has the best pizza (not your typical italian pizzas, more eclectic stuff with artichokes, feta cheese, etc. They do have the traditional stuff, but the other stuff is good too) and over 100 microbrew beers. It's also very 1970's in decor and atmosphere.
    We had a great country breakfast about 20 miles outside of Greenville at a restaurant called the Junction. Fried green tomatos, grits, cracklin's, bacon, eggs, etc. But the fried green tomatos, grits and cracklins were the best.
    Last edited by MRD; 02-27-2007 at 04:38 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

So maybe I'm not the only one looking for family vacation ideas? I don't know if there is a thread that I could bump? Does anyone know of web sites with travel ideas? I don't need to know about deals yet, but I'd like to see options beyond Disneyworld, cruises and Cancun.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

CCL
    In my own country...Alberta/BC to see the Rockies. But in the summer ... I prefer my snow to stay on the mountaintops and not on the ground that I'm trodding on!

canuckinchile
    - I've heard Patagonia is just breathtaking. Maybe one day...
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

CCL we are going on boat tour in a couple of weeks on SKORPIOS : there is a tab at the top for english, and I am hugely excited. It will be a family trip for spring break, and if I get good pics I will post them!

I have to change tack for a moment. I've been home with a sick child for two days and it looks like we're going for a third. I put a Sudafed Shower Soother in my shower and sent him up for a nice hot steamy shower. He saw the blue disk on the floor of the shower and asked what it was. Ya should have seen his face when I told him it was a urinal cake .
    I'm so bored. Heaven help him tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2258080;
    ..I put a Sudafed Shower Soother in my shower and sent him up for a nice hot steamy shower. He saw the blue disk on the floor of the shower and asked what it was. Ya should have seen his face when I told him it was a urinal cake . I'm so bored. Heaven help him tomorrow.
    I've never heard of those Sudafed shower things. I have weally bad code today...sore throawt, stuffy nows, achy, hot and cold. Been up and down all night and day. Taking sudafed, neocitran, benelyn losenges and drinking lots of hot tea. But I got tired of tea and had a hot Pepsi instead. Dat mayd me fewl bedder. I ate aving a code.

------

I would love to go away for a holiday anywhere. I just don't have any money for that as my house is in need for a run of repairs inside and out.

I once took a train trip from Calgary through the Rockies to Lake Louise. Spectacular. I would love to go on the Oriental Express, you know, after I win the lottery. And eastern Canada. Oh, the Frontenac in Quebec. That would be something.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread