+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7188Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

He was the best dad ever. He told us bed time stories every night, made an elaborate puppet stage for our family to perform with, made me a desk with about 20 secret compartments and a large "Hobbit box" carved inside and out with carvings from the Hobbit and the trilogy. He took us on house calls with him out in the country where we got to climb trees and feed the animals. He took my mom on vacation every year while my grandmother babysat for us. That's only the tip of the iceberg. Very cool man, indeed.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2257348;
    That sounds like a great trip, Unk. Is that show going to be on again?
    Here's a link to their website. They offer several trips. I would love to do one.
    Also they have the video at Amazon for about $10.
    Last edited by Unklescott; 02-27-2007 at 07:38 AM.

When I was a kid, we would go on vacation every summer. It had to be places where we could drive, because my mom was afraid of heights and wouldn't fly. One summer, we drove to California (from PA) to visit my aunt and grandmother. We went pretty much straight there, but on the return trip, we made a loop south to take in some sightseeing (so our route there and back looked like a big smile). Going through the rockies was absolutely breathtaking. I was just a kid, but I still remember the awesome scenery.

Oh, yeah - and I remember my mother hiding on the floor of the car because there was no guardrail on some of those mountain roads.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2257466;
    Oh, yeah - and I remember my mother hiding on the floor of the car because there was no guardrail on some of those mountain roads.
    Your mom sounds like me - I won't fly either. Nor will I ever be a passenger in a car heading south on the Pacific Coast Highway from San Francisco to Santa Barbara ever again. That is a gorgeous strip of road, but terrifying.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

My parents took my older sister and me to Colorado when we were 6 and 7, along with another family with 3 sons. We saw Mt Rushmore and the Badlands. We tent camped along the way. I remember in Kansas there was a wicked storm that we kids and mom were inside one tent and the dads lashed themselves to the outside of the tent. The moms made us stay in a motel the next night. To this day, I thought that was the best trip ever. After my divorce, I took my kids camping and fishing. I absolutely loved it. My boys turned out to hate fishing and camping. Go figure!

MRD
    If money were no object and you HAD to stay in your own country, what trip would you take? Where would you go and what would you do?

Also, where you live now, what are the places to see and what is a "must eat" at resturant?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Wow! What a great discussion topic, MRD.

OK, if money were no object and I had to stay within my own country, I would tour the entire western part of the US. The scenery is absolutely gorgeous. I'd want to stay in a travel trailer - just drive and when we came to a place that looked interesting, I'd want to stop and camp. That would be the ultimate. Another vacation I'd like to take is a cruise around the Hawaiian Islands. Oh, yeah, and I'd LOVE to cruise to Alaska and do a tour of that state. There are plenty of other places I'd like to go, but those are my top three dream vacations.

I live in South Jersey; let's see - great eating places. You can get really great food at almost any diner. There's plenty of food, it's good, and it's cheap. There's not a whole lot to see in South Jersey. There's lots of farms and orchards. We do have the Pine Barrens with the Carranza memorial. It's a memorial to a Mexican flyer who was trying to fly non-stop from Mexico to someplace (NY maybe??). Anyway, he crashed and died in the NJ Pine Barrens. The Mexican school children saved their pennies to build a memorial to him, and it's still there today.

And of course, we have the Jersey Devil!

If I was in Canada (my home country), I would tour the maritimes since it is the part of Canada I have not seen. I would love to see Newfoundland, as well, kiss the cod, and see the rugged landscape.

I live in Santiago, Chile right now, and while it is a beautiful city, I think everyone needs to go south to see the beautiful lake district with the volcanoes. To the far south, Patagonia is exceptionally beautiful. One of my favourite restaurants is "Agua" and "Astid y Gastons". However, there are great small eateries and when I want a taste of home I go to Melba's which is run by a Kiwi, and has amazing breakfasts.

Mr. Rattus and I really want to go to L'Anse aux Meadows and Gros Morne in Newfoundland. We both really hate camping but are willing to do it in order to spend some time in what is surely one of the most beautiful places on earth. We also intend to visit Moose Factory up on James Bay at some point, take the Agawa Canyon ( Agawa Canyon Tour Trains - Algoma Central Railway ) train, and visit Kapuskasing, just because a planned community in the far, far north intrigues me.

We've also been looking into finding a cottage for a couple of weeks in either Saguenay or Gaspe. If we end up in Gaspe, we will of course have to visit St. Pierre & Miquelon, which technically puts us out of the country, but it's still pretty close.

And I'm having a bit of a struggle getting Mr. Rattus to agree to this ($600 a night? Just for a view of the river? ), but I really want to stay at Le Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City sometime. I've been to QC once and just loved it - gloriously beautiful place, lots of history.

And while this is someplace we've been, we're really lucky that we can do a cheap long weekend in Montreal every once in a while, one of the greatest cities in North America.

And I want to go every place in between all these other places.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Moose Factory! When I was a kid, we took a trip to Canada. We took a train from someplace (can't remember where) to Moose Factory Island. We had to take the train because there were no roads that went there. (Maybe there are now???) Anyway, at that time, there was a brand new hotel and absolutely nothing else except for a little general store. I don't remember why my father wanted to go there, but we went.

I remember there was some big field with really high weeds. In the middle of the field was a sign. It was too far away to read, so my uncle decided he was going to take a walk out to it. My dad took a picture of my uncle off in the distance standing in weeds up to his chest taking a picture of the sign.

After we got home, my uncle broke out in this rash all over his body. He went to the doctor and had to get some serious medicine. Moose Factory - what a great memory.

+ Reply to Thread