+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6970Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

I would never want a phone with a party line feature.

It wasn't a "feature", it was just how phone lines used to operate.

My grandparents had one, too, but they were related to, or knew, everyone along their holler so if they got on the phone to call someone, they'd just as easily start having a conversation with anyone already on the line.

Believe it or not, I can remember when we were on an eight party line. We thought we were really up town when they split that to a four party line.

Premium Member
    We didn't have party lines in town, but everyone out in the country did. I had a girlfriend whose phone line automatically cut you off after 3 minutes. We would have to keep taking turns calling each other back so we could act like normal teenagers and talk on the phone all afternoon.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2237854;
    Has anyone tried the dark chocolate covered Altoids? When I first saw them I thought it sounded disgusting. Then I was curious and picked up a tin. Mmmm - sort of like crunchy Junior Mints.
    They were giving out free samples at a store the other day and even though it sounded gross, you know me and a freebie! They were tasty! I'd buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2229847;
    Maybe someone can answer a question for me. I was watching the half-time show - well, sort of watching the half-time show. I'm not a big fan of Prince, but I was very impressed with the quality of the show he put on in the pouring rain. My question is this - with all that rain and the electric guitars, was that really safe? I was waiting the entire time for a short or something to happen!
    Since they're on wireless everything now, I do believe it is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornedbeef;2232836;
    Lois, so sorry to spoil your prediction.
    I was wrong? Your team spanked the Bears...the Bears should be ashamed of themselves!

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2235479;
    Several countries have no problems eating dogs, cats, horses. There is no such things as humane and ethical treatment of animals in some countries. It's just awful.
    While I don't want to eat it, I have no problem with countries that eat this type of animal meat, since many of these animals are farmed for food, just as cows and pigs are farmed to be eaten in the U.S. It's not like they go and grab a neighbor's pet and sautee it. BUT, I agree that it should be done as humanely as possible. Has anyone ever read Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle"? It's a great book about the disgusting conditions at the meat plants in Chicago...It put me off of meat for a good year or so when I read it as a kid!

Does anyone know, why do the animals have to be skinned alive to get their fur? It doesn't seem helpful to anyone (least of all the poor critter).

Regarding the shoes question. I think shoes tend to be more consistent in sizing than clothing. But women's feet do get larger as we get older. Certainly after a pregnancy. But I read somewhere (I think it was a study by Dr. Scholl's) that around the age of 35 or 40, a woman's feet size will go up because her arches will flatten. Also, athletic women will have to wear a larger size 'cause they pound their arches flat from all the running etc. So the foot isn't actually getting any longer/bigger. But the arch is dropping. It happened to me. I went up half a size. That sucks 'cause I can't wear a lot of my smaller sized shoes now.
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 02-19-2007 at 03:24 PM.

My feet got a half size larger when I was pregnant and I shrank a few inches. My doctor said that it happens to petite women sometimes because their bodies aren't used to supporting that kind of weight. I read it in a book, too. I think it was Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I need to ask you all a question. Remember on Wife Swap, Trading spouses, whichever it was when the Swamp Tour family was on? Anyone remember much about them? My son wants to take the kid on one of those tours and I'd like to find that family. Thanks

Muduh, I did a quick little search and I think you are talking about the Loupe family, who owns Zam's Swamp Tours (Trading Spouses).

Here is a link to reviews:
    Latest reviews of Zam's Swamp Tours, Thibodaux, LA
    Last edited by DesertRose; 02-22-2007 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Added link

I'm watching this special on PBS right now titled "The Rockies By Rail." From the TV Guide description of the show:
    A restored luxury train winds its way from Denver to Portland in this spectacular journey through the Rocky Mountains.

The travelogue examines the region's history and its wildlife, makes stops at Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, and tours the train's luxury cars, some of which feature mahogany paneling and art deco fixtures.

Along the way, passengers remark on the landscape of the American West and the “surprise around every curve.” Others find pleasure in the trip's leisurely pace. Says one tourist of the view: “I'm afraid to take a nap because I might miss something.
    Absolutely stunning. I want to take this trip.

Premium Member
    That sounds like a great trip, Unk. Is that show going to be on again?

+ Reply to Thread