+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 2419 FirstFirst 12345678910111213531035031003 ... LastLast
Like Tree5671Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    Thanks Unk. I tell people that and they think I'm nuts. I just remember weird things like that.
    Their warehouse and office is right around the corner from my restaurant. If you notice on their semi trucks that deliver the goods to the stores they still say "Big Lots/Odd Lots" on them.
    ETA I just noticed that I recently went over 10,000 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
    We have a Dollar Tree but it's in the next town over, which is a good thing, because I always load up and manage to spend $40. But it's perfect for spending tooth fairy money.
    I do the same thing. My husband always jokes that I'm the only person that can go in Dollar Tree and spend $50.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Woohoo on the big 10K, Unk! You always have very worthy things to say, so I know there weren't any that were wasted.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    so I know there weren't any that were wasted.
    I don't know about that. I got to digging around one day and found my first my post ever. Finale night of AI 2 on 5/21/03. Just look at the innocence in this post. . Geez what a
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott View Post
    Since I've been lurking here all season long, I can at least post on the final night. I believe Clay will pull it off but I am a K-Lo fan all the way. My daughter has been pulling for Ruben all the way. We have had many "discussions" over this for the past few weeks. I have had Ruben as my pick after Kimberley L. and my daughter can't understand why I think Clay will win. It has been a very good contest compared to last year.

Unk, I believe it was my love for Clay that brought me out of hiding, although you've obviously had more to say than me.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

The Dollar Store is great. We have a Big Lots out here...but it use to be called Pick and Save. I love Ross Dress for Less for clothes shopping and stuff like that.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Do any of my FORT palllies have any feedback about buying furniture from either IKEA or Crate & Barrel? I'm looking for a new couch, sofa, whataever you want to call it, and have seen a couple of nice ones at both places. IKEA is a bit more inexpensive but does that means it's not that good? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Big Lots is ok, but you have to be there on the "right" day, which I think it is Tuesday to get the good stuff otherwise the one by me gets picked over fast. I like Tuesday morning, you can find some lovely things there but it's always a hunt at the one near me, it's all a jumble.

I pick up a few things at the dollar store but not much. I bought an umbralla there once that broke the first time using it. Bought tongs another time, same thing. So, get wrapping paper there and a few odd and ends but little else.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac View Post
    Thanks for the new thread, John!!

Out in here in the Boston area (and in Denver, too, which I left) we have the FAMILY DOLLAR chain, and it's got decent stuff, but not all of it is priced for just a measly dollar.

We have another chain called BUCK A BOOK and that's a great place 'cause many of their books truly are just a dollar. I've found great things there.

Out in Denver we had BIG LOTS and I sure do miss that place 'cause it was great for stuff like glass ware, cleaning supplies, etc. Big Lots isn't an official "dollar" store but it was definitely low cost.

I guess the equivalent here in Boston is BUILDING 19. It's a family-owned business that's been around for decades and their slogan is, "Good Stuff Cheap."

I am a big fan of "dollar stores" 'cause I love to save money on the basics and I'm not fussy at all. I love nice, good-quality things and I don't mind paying top dollar when it's appropriate, but I'm a wicked big fan of these "dollar stores" 'cause for the day-to-day kind of things they're fantastic.

We have Family Dollar too and I hate that store. It is not nearly as good as Dollar General (its a discount store so they have stuff that is more than $1) which it is similar too. We have both and Big Lots. And yes, I remember when they were Odd lots and you never knew what you would get when you went in the store. Now they have the same ole stuff and even furniture. Before I think they did buy "lots" of "odd" stuff that became availabe and sell it, but now I don't think they do that anymore. I buy all my cleaning supplies and plastic storage units and even glassware and stuff like that at these kinds of stores. I try to avoid Wal-hell at all costs.

Our Tuesday Morning is a jumble too, but that is half the fun poking around in there.

I am currently using a can opener that I have had at least 5 years that I bought for a buck at The Dollar Tree. I know some of the stuff is cheap and breaks, but sometimes you can get a good deal.
    And you can't beat it for wrapping paper. Our Dollar Tree also does helium balloons and mylar ones too. Great savings if you need them for a party or something.

Gabriel, I have a friend who got her bedroom furniture from Ikea. It looks nice and she likes it, but I have not "inspected" it up close to see if its good quality or not.
    I would LOVE to buy some stuff I have seen in Crate and Barrel, but can't justify that expense right now.
    I know the next time we do buy furniture, I am going to do a lot of research because we want good quality that will last. I have a set of 60 year old dressers that belonged to a great-aunt. They are wood. Everything is wood and the drawers are put together very well. We bought my daughter a dresser when she was very small that was mostly press board and it fell apart within 5 years. Same with the sofas. So I will not shop at Rooms to Go or any of those kinds of furniture stores anymore.
    If I'm going to buy furniture, I want it to last longer than a few years.
    So I'd look at workmanship, quality, reputation, etc. over price I think. If its definetly good quality, I wouldn't mind paying for it (well, within reason).

I also watch a lot of HGTV and a lot of those shows tell you what to look for when buying furniture especially dressers, etc.

I guess I wasn't much help. But how fun to get new furniture. I am definetly looking forward to replacing some of what we have in the next year.
    Last edited by MRD; 07-02-2006 at 08:06 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

We have a Dollar Tree right next to our movie theater and everyone gets their candy and drinks (2/$1) there and sneaks them in. We got busted once and had to take them back to the car, but really... what do they expect? We were there yesterday and they had silverware with clear lucite handles with hot pink design elements. A knife/spoon/fork set for $1. I may have to go back for those.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread