+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6151Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

This afternoon I had such a scare, I'm barely getting over it. I got a phone call from son's daycare (already a bad sign), saying he woke up from his nap wet and shaking. His fever was at 108 and they had just given him tempra. My first reflex was to say I was on my way to pick him up. I knew 108 was bad, but I didn't stop to think that it was impossibly bad, as in he's convulsing and we are taking him to the hospital in an ambulance. When it downed on me a few seconds later, I called back to make sure and she assured me that it was at 38C (100F) and not 108F. What a relief.

He's doing great now, playing and laughing it up with his father. Kids have an amazing recovery speed.

What a terrible scare, Desertrose! I would have been flipping out.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I'm so glad it was just a scare and not really 108F. Fevers are the one thing that really scare me in kids.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    108 would probably equal dead/dying. Not a good thing, if it is even possible.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

On the bus ride home today, a stranger (probably in his 30s) and I got to talking. I normally don't mind doing this, but this particular stranger asked me for my contact info, then proceeded to follow me as I got off. I told him I was feeling very uncomfortable, that I wasn't interested in a relationship with him, and that he shouldn't expect much of a friendship out of me. After I sent him off on his way, I walked in the wrong direction from my building to make sure he wasn't following me or could see where I live. I did give him a real email address of mine, one I rarely check, and I don't plan on responding should I see any emails from him.

However, I'm not at ease with what I did. Was what I did the right thing to do? I feel like I gave away more about myself than I should have. What do you all think? (I'm 15)
    Last edited by haejin; 02-17-2007 at 01:10 AM.
    Gustav Holst was right!

Well haej at least you knew enough to not go straight home. Don't be intimidated young'un and don't give out any info to anyone.

Be sure to tell a grown-up about this - not necessarily a parent if you think they'd read you the riot act. Just to cover your back. I think you did well to listen to your instincts, give a little-used e-address and walk a different direction. Live and learn. The age difference is what bothers me most.
    I'm off to Ohio in a couple of hours but should be able to get here from my Mom's computer. I'd love it if you'd keep my daughter in your prayers. She's wingin' it here by herself with help from friends and her brother. Thanks.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2244915;
    I'm off to Ohio in a couple of hours but should be able to get here from my Mom's computer. I'd love it if you'd keep my daughter in your prayers. She's wingin' it here by herself with help from friends and her brother. Thanks.
    By wingin' it do you mean flying herself? If so she's more than a competent pilot from what you've told me but a parent never stops worrying as I'm all too aware of. You have a safe trip too Gut.

Gut, about your daughter, consider it done. Have a fun time visiting the great state of Ohio. We will enjoy having you here! We just started having some snow dusting again, so take care.

Haejin, while I'm a friendly person, I don't give out a lot of personal business to people I don't know (except for FORTers). Just watch out for yourself and be extra vigilant. I can't stand older people who seem to glom onto younger people. That sets off an alarm in my body!

MRD
    DesertRose, that fever thing would have scared the you know what out of me. When my daughter was 3, she got a bad fever and was so sick (throwing up, dehydrated), the dr. hospitalized her. The nurses stripped her and kept putting cool washclothes on her to help bring the fever down. I can remember being absolutely frantic inside, but trying to hold it together outside. We couldn't reach my husband at work, but thank goodness my mom was with me. My daughter went from high fever, almost unresponsive, to sitting up in bed, DEMANDING food and chattering like a monkey in 12 hours. The powers of children to heal are amazing!!! Glad to hear yours is better.

I want to thank whoever it was that said the cupcakes at Starbucks were so good they tasted like birthday cake. I had a gift card for SB from Christmas and this week was both a difficult and satisfying week here with my daughter (both school and other things) so I took her out yesterday to treat her at SB. We decided to split a cupcake.

OMG!!! Good thing I used up the balance on the gift card as I will now be staying OUT of SB. You were right, birthday cake. YUM. My weakness is mostly cake. I can usually bypass other things, but birthday cake is like my kryptonite, I am powerless in its presence. I'm glad we split it too. That was probably one of the best darn cupcakes in the whole world! Now to find my willpower once again.

(BTW, those of you that know about my surgery. It's been 11 months and I have lost 138 pounds. I was hoping for the 150 mark at my 1 year anniversay. Don't know if it will happen, but even if it doesn't, I am still happy with the outcome and am still losing but its slowing down as my dr. has said it would. And no more SB cupcakes for a while, for sure!
    I stumbled on a picture from New Year's last year and couldn't believe the difference and neither could my daughter or husband when I showed them)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread