+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7228Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2241236;
    I've already shoveled 3 times and my daughter once.
    You shoveled that massive driveway four times already?

I shoveled at my place twice already, including the walkway, the driveway, and two little patches where I throw down food for my birds and squirrels. Those wild things are desensitized to me by now. They see me show up with a shovel and they gather around me because they know I'm going to throw down some goodies for them.

I shoveled my parents' place -- walks, driveway, and sidewalks -- three times already, too.

Gut, I'm sure you're getting much more buried there than we are here. I hope you do get to have another snow day.

The trouble is that I'm heading out to my Mom's in Ohio Sat. so will have to miss chemo for a week if I don't go. Oh well, I'm not that sold on the preventative stuff, as you know.
    Count your blessings!

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac;2241242;
    I shoveled at my place twice already, including the walkway, the driveway, and two little patches where I throw down food for my birds and squirrels. Those wild things are desensitized to me by now. They see me show up with a shovel and they gather around me because they know I'm going to throw down some goodies for them.
    We throw down bird seed every day, too. It's funny because they flock to the bushes that line our driveway and wait for us. We've even got a male and female cardinal that come to eat every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2241765;
    We throw down bird seed every day, too. It's funny because they flock to the bushes that line our driveway and wait for us. We've even got a male and female cardinal that come to eat every day.
    My neighbor feeds the birds and then they come to my house for a drink and I think they bring birdie bags because they sit under my kitchen window on the shrubs and party ! I have a pair of cardinals too.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

When I lived at a barely higher elevation there were no cardinals so I'm especially glad to have them now. I have a suet feeder, finch seed, sunflower seed feeder, and I cast sunflowers as well. I shoveled the ground patch 4 or 5 times yesterday before I gave up. Then I just shook the SF feeder when I went by. I have a tangle of small saplings, grape vines, wild roses, and bittersweet in a row on the far side of the driveway where the feeders are, so the birds love to check things out from there. I keep a birdbath going, too. Yesterday I went out with hot water several times because it kept freezing up. Around March I start putting orange halves on nails around the property I have in posts for that purpose. It attracts certain migrating birds. I also put out a net bag with yarn lengths and hairbrush gleanings for nesting materials. Now ask me to identify a bird... uh, cardinal, blue jay, chickadee. Done.
    Count your blessings!

MRD
    I was putting out seed and stuff for the birds and my dogs thought it was for them. Now I don't have to bother as we have a tree that hangs over the driveway that is full of berries. Must be some GREAT berries as all the birds hang out there. My car looked like a birdy latrine, so they are definetly getting fed.
    Have had to park farther up the driveway and will soon be cutting off some branches. Won't hurt the tree, its huge and the birds will still have berries, just will have to do their business elsewhere.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

The boys and I shoveled the drive three times and then yesterday afternoon I dug out what the snowplow left in the apron. That was a job. The piles at the end of the drive are maybe 4 feet or more. Fortunately, I'm not as sore as I thought I'd be. It was -5 when I took my son to school, so I guess I'm staying in again today.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

"no-jet-lag"

Has anyone heard of this pill?? It claims to help overcoming/avoiding jet lag! i'm flying home to asia this saturday, anyone knows where i can get them in the SEA-TAC (seattle) airport?

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2242066;
    ..I don't have to bother as we have a tree that hangs over the driveway that is full of berries. Must be some GREAT berries as all the birds hang out there. My car looked like a birdy latrine, so they are definetly getting fed.
    I'll bet it's a mountain ash tree...are they red berries? I have flocks of waxwings attack and and they do leave smashed berries and red poop everywhere. Never park under a mountain ash tree. You were wise to clip it.

ilovenigel: I haven't heard of that, but have a great trip home to Asia!!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2244019;
    I'll bet it's a mountain ash tree...are they red berries? I have flocks of waxwings attack and and they do leave smashed berries and red poop everywhere. Never park under a mountain ash tree. You were wise to clip it.

ilovenigel: I haven't heard of that, but have a great trip home to Asia!!
    I have no idea what kind of tree it is, but red berries and purple poop. These birds are WELL fed with that tree let me tell you!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread