+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7187Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Premium Member
    The first time I saw dulce de leche was in a Starbucks ice cream flavor. It was delicious - but it was basically just caramel.

I think it's a different type of Caramel. I've been dying to make some, but the process scares me. You have to simmer a can of condensed sweetened milk in a pot for about 4 hours. But you have to be careful to make sure that the water doesn't go under a certain level or the can will explode! I have a can that has been seating in my cupboard for a couple of months, waiting for my courage to come. If I do it, I'll take pics.

Don't be afraid, DesertRose - I tried that on Lambikins advice and it was easy, safe and delicious. I just didn't know what it was called at the time.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Where IS Lambikins anyway? I haven't seen a post from her in ages!

I just had to post this: I can't remember who or where (combatcutie, in the FORT or Recipe thread?) posted about a nip of something...Well, I was shopping at a Kitchen store during my break (my weakness) and I saw measuring spoons. The measures were not tablespoons and teaspoons, but rather, Dash, Pinch and Nip (and two others I forgot). It was so cute!

jasmar, your girls sound almost like how my sister and I are. My sister will talk to anybody with ears. She is known as "the loud one" in my family... and my family is very loud lol. I am (mostly) the opposite. I am quiet untill I know you, and then I get chatty. I was actually held back a year in kindergarten, one reason was because I wouldnt talk to anybody. My friends now think this is funny... that's only bcause I know them and I am loud around them lol
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Don't be afraid DesertRose. I too had always wanted to try it but was scared and then a coworker convinced me to try it at work and sure enough it was easy and nothing happend. I was so scared the can would explode but it didn't even bulge.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Yeah, dolce de leche is just a kind of caramel--cooked milk and sugar. Butterscotch has to have actual butter in it--but it's also a kind of caramel. There is a definite difference, because I do not like butterscotch (it affects my soft palate in a weird way) and I can tolerate dolce de leche. That being said, who knows if there is a difference if we're talking about those syrups coffee shops use. None of that is really dairy based anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2233679;
    Hey misskitty! 5:13 a.m. here and I'm about to get ready for work. It's been very hectic here so I haven't been around a lot. Not enjoying my usual coffee this morning - flavor's off. Wish they made coffee in BUTTERSCOTCH! Mmmm
    Gut: Try some Stash Creme Caramel Tea....it's very nice! Very subtle.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2234776;
    Gut: Try some Stash Creme Caramel Tea....it's very nice! Very subtle.
    Do they make a caffeinated version of that, misskitty? I've only tried the herbal version and it tasted like water to me. Then again, I like my tea strong.

My cousin turned me on to http://www.adagioteas.com this past Christmas. She got me their Caramel and Cream teas. I'd love to find an equivalent and easy-to-find bagged variety that compares so I could have it at work. Loose tea is easy enough at home, but at work - not so much.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread