+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5654Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar
    I think homeschooling is what you make it. If I had lived another life, I would have homeschooled my kids K-5. We don't teach phonics anymore in our area, and I think it would have eased learning for them. As it was, I had to work to keep food and shelter for us, and they were doing 2 and 3 hours of work every day after school. I don't know why they were not completing them during school. I'm thankful I don't have to worry about it any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2227679;
    That is horrible, you guys. That is really sad.

Cornedbeef, you're a Colts fan? Too bad your team's gonna lose to the Bears tomorrow...
    Lois, so sorry to spoil your prediction.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornedbeef;2232836;
    Lois, so sorry to spoil your prediction.
    Yeah, sad ain't it?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Lois, I am not going to rub it in.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2231266;
    I do know people that homeschool on the elementary level and they have to do a LOT more hands on than I do. I'm not sure I could do it at that age group.
    That's for SURE. Mine are 4, 6, and 9 (years, not grade level), and I spend a lot of time teaching and helping. There are homeschool curricula available that are less parent-intensive, but they're mostly read and regurgitate, fill in the blanks materials. I loathe that stuff.

My oldest attended K-1 at our previous church's elementary school She had socialization issues then! Some kids are just born that way. She will always be a little socially awkward (like her mom ), and my middle daughter will always be a social butterfly, no matter how much time she spends at home. But she's the competitive gymnast, so she hangs out with 23 other girls on her team seven hours a week, so she's happy. Older daughter does plays with the local community theater, where she gets to spend time with other offbeat personalities, so she's happy, as well. We also have 25 other kids in our little cul-de-sac, so they all get plenty of time with other kids.

And frankly, I'd rather socialize them myself than have them learn peer-based behavior. On the whole, they tend to be more sensitive, kinder, and sharper than other kids their age. That's not to say they don't have their snotty-kid moments, I'm just thinking of the big picture.
    Last edited by jasmar; 02-07-2007 at 05:49 PM.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

It's 3:10 am. Insomniacs....where are you? I'm all alone.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Hey misskitty! 5:13 a.m. here and I'm about to get ready for work. It's been very hectic here so I haven't been around a lot. Not enjoying my usual coffee this morning - flavor's off. Wish they made coffee in BUTTERSCOTCH! Mmmm
    Count your blessings!

Gutmutter, try some dolce de leche - I hear that's good
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    There's bound to be some butterscotch syrup, isn't there? Or is that what "dolce de leche" is?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Sorry - I was teasing Gutmutter because of her peeve from yesterday.
    Actually, I think dolce de leche is caramel. I'll have to look that one up.

ETA
    O.K. Lambikins posted this technique last fall - I found it here:

http://www.calgarysun.com/cgi-bin/pu...es&s=lifestyle

1. Dolce de leche: To caramelize milk, place unopened can of condensed milk upright in water in a saucepan at least 3 inches taller than can.

2. Pour enough water into saucepan to cover can by 1-2 in. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 112 to 2 hours, checking periodically that can is always covered with water.

3. Remove can from water and let cool for at least 15 minutes. Be careful opening, as mixture may still be warm. Spoon what is now dolce de leche out of can and reserve. (Keep leftover dolce de leche in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.)

Here is a recipe for butterscotch:
    http://southernfood.about.com/od/des...r/bl91120a.htm

INGREDIENTS:
    3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
    1/2 cup light corn syrup
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/2 cup whipping cream
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    PREPARATION:
    Combine brown sugar, corn syrup, and margarine in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in cream and vanilla immediately. Cool; store in the refrigerator.

If we keep this up, we should move to the recipe thread.
    Last edited by cricketeen; 02-08-2007 at 01:46 PM.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

+ Reply to Thread