+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5858Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2231094;
    Well, it's 2:13 am here. I'm still awake. I'm switching between watching African Queen and The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. Not.Much.On.
    Where is everybody?
    The African Queen was on here the other day. LOVE that movie and its hardly ever on.

I actually spent 3 hours the day it snowed watching The Green Berets with Mr. Rosie and then watched the Hellfighters that night and I'm not even a John Wayne fan.
    Then spent Sunday afternoon watching the Green Mile and the Longest Day.

Seems like since I haven't been feeling well, all I've done is watch old movies and read. I've gone through 10 books in the last 6 weeks.

Mostly old war movies. I tell you it's exhausting having to watch all those war movies and pull for my "team" to beat the enemy.

(My secret's out. I love the old war movies for some reason. Those and James Bond)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MyRosie, just out of curiosity, I though you were homeschooling your daughter. How does it work? I thought you'd have to teach her, but since you have not been feeling well, I guess a tutor comes? Does your daughter like it?

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2231094;
    Well, it's 2:13 am here. I'm still awake. I'm switching between watching African Queen and The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. Not.Much.On.
    Where is everybody?
    In bed...sleeping.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2231235;
    MyRosie, just out of curiosity, I though you were homeschooling your daughter. How does it work? I thought you'd have to teach her, but since you have not been feeling well, I guess a tutor comes? Does your daughter like it?
    We have a currriculum we use and most of it is individual study. I review what she has done, give tests, keep records, etc. Her father teaches her geometry and biology at night, so all I have to keep up with is history and English. As English is English lit, she has a lot of reading to do. We discuss the books, she does reports on them, or we follow a set of discussion questions provided in the curriculum. With her being in high school, there is not as much hands on for me to do. Since she only has to spend 4 hours a day on her studies and I only handle 2 hours of it. My only actual time spent is about 1/2 hour a day on my part. (sometimes more)
    Yes, she does like it and so do I as I have learned a lot right along with her.
    Even though I have not felt well, I am able to handle the small amount of her studies that I need to handle. Since she works 12-5 most afternoons, I am usually home alone and that is when I have been doing my reading, or tv watching.
    It's actually been a lot easier than I ever thought it would be. She's doing rather well at it and likes it a lot. And I like that the individual study gives her a chance to prepare for college as you have to be disciplined to do independent study especially in college and she has been doing really well with using her time wisely and doing her work without me having to stand over her constantly.
    Some of the books I have read lately were books for her English lit class so that I am able to get into the discussions with a more informative view.

While I haven't felt well, i'm not at invalid status yet.
    Last edited by lildago; 02-06-2007 at 11:15 AM. Reason: edited lingo

Thanks MyRosie. I thought it was a lot more hands on, but I guess that would be for kids at a younger level.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2231258;
    Thanks MyRosie. I thought it was a lot more hands on, but I guess that would be for kids at a younger level.
    I do know people that homeschool on the elementary level and they have to do a LOT more hands on than I do. I'm not sure I could do it at that age group.

We are thinking that next year we may do an online highschool. I have found one that offers college level AP courses and the tuition is very reasonable compared to private school. She can continue to work at her own pace and if that pace is faster, then they can accomodate that as well and actually do early graduation if she can handle the workload.
    I am hoping to get back in college myself for the summer semester and so next fall, I'll be doing my own course work and not sure if I could keep up wtih home school, so the online highschool may work better for both of us.

And the online highschool is accredited, so shouldn't be a problem with her getting into college with the transcripts from that school.

Let me add that if it weren't for her father teaching geometry, I don't think we'd be doing as well as we are. I did well in highschool and college math except for geometry and just thinking about me having to teach it sends me shaking and drooling in a corner.
    My forte is much more geared to the history and English courses and he does well with the math and science, so its working out rather well dividing that up like that.
    Last edited by MRD; 02-06-2007 at 11:19 AM.

I have a friend who homeschools her two kids. Based on what she said, a lot of it is computer based. They have a program they use (don't remember the name of it), and the kids take the tests right on-line. It is more hand-off the older the kids get. Her one son is 14; the other son is 12 (I think).

myrosie, I know this is a personal question so you don't have to answer but I was wondering what made ya'll decide homeschooling? I don't have anything against it, just curious. Is it because the schools in your area have problems? I'm glad she's doing well though and that's what matters most. And that you're learning from it too and reading books you might not have otherwise chosen.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

myrosie, while I don't have kids yet, I plan on it and we've been talking about homeschooling (public schools here are just too dangerous and private Christian schools are too expensive) but I don't know the first thing about it. Could you maybe PM me with some info on websites where I can take a look at some curriculum and costs?
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

I know we've talked about the size of women's clothing in this thread, so I thought I'd ask this here -- has anyone else started feeling like shoe sizes are sometimes different? I don't know if I'm imagining things or if my feet have just gotten bigger (at age 31), but after years of wearing a 9, in the past few months I've found 9 1/2 to be more comfortable on several shoe-shopping occasions. Yet my old shoes that were 9's -- including a 7-year-old pair I'm wearing right now -- still fit perfectly. Is it just me? Am I going crazy?

+ Reply to Thread