+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4493Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2227494;
    Well, devil's advocate here. In high school some friends of mine were on a toboggan at the local sledding spot (nobody wore helmets for anything back then). They hit a tree and all ended up in the hospital with severe head injuries. You definitely have to learn how to bail out.
    A couple of weeks ago a 15 year old girl near here suffered a broken neck and back from a sledding accident. Fortunately she was handled correctly while waiting for the ambulance and had regained the feeling in her legs by the next day, but she's in a neck/back brack for a long haul.

Same kind of thing happened here a few weeks ago. One 14-year-old boy hit a tree, broke his neck, and died. Another 8-year-old girl was thrown from an inner tube being pulled behind a car by her father and died. Ihave a hard time dismissing them as mere genetic waste…

Helmets are always agood thing!
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Well, while we are sharing...my cousin worked with developmentally disabled people in a rural area where she'd lived most of her life. They took them sledding at a local ski area during the week when the ski business was slow. My cousin was in one of those saucer things...very little control... hit a building at the bottom of the run with her head. Was fine for a few minutes, soothing her youngest child who was along on the day trip, then went into a coma and died. Bright, hardworking, funny....a great person, left two kids about 4 and 6 years old and husband. So...it happens. Actually quite amazing it doesn't happen more when you think about it. I, too, and my kids, never wore helmuts.

PWS and Jasmar, those are awful ways to die. Marleybone, glad the girl is doing better.
    Last edited by Cornedbeef; 02-03-2007 at 03:03 PM.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    That is horrible, you guys. That is really sad.

Cornedbeef, you're a Colts fan? Too bad your team's gonna lose to the Bears tomorrow...

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by 11sstephanie;2227488;

So, what I'm saying is, I think that if people are dying, it's becuase they are doing stupid things, and just weeding themselves out of the over-cowded gene pool, doing all of us a favor.
    I'm sorry, but I think this is pretty insensitive. I know people that have done incredibly stupid things and lived and people that were so safety conscious that died.

Weeding out the gene pool seems to take out the best and brightest, while the stupid and criminal continue to live and feed off the rest of us and breed more like them. I used to work for an OB and it was scary to see who was having babies and bringing in a whole new generation of idiots. My dr. was the only one that took medicaid in the county, so believe me we saw some winners or should I say losers having kids that shouldn't have been allowed to even own a dog.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Those stories are horrible. To think we used to go sledding down hills with names like "suicide hill", does it have something to do with anything like what is being used? I mean we all used those sleds that you could actually steer...Can those saucer things be steered?

Just in case anyone is wondering I did see Stepanies remark about her reflexes being as sharp as a dead cat.....

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2227679;
    That is horrible, you guys. That is really sad.

Cornedbeef, you're a Colts fan? Too bad your team's gonna lose to the Bears tomorrow...
    I'm having a real hard time picking sides for tomorrow. I would like to see Coach Dungy get a Superbowl win as I think he got robbed in Tampa with the Bucs, BUT............. The Bears have Rex Grossman who was a pretty darn good Gator QB a few years ago. And I like Payton Manning.

So I guess, either way, would be a win for me as I can't make up my mind who to root for.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Everyone I know is saying GO BEARS! - Of course I'me from Milwaukee WI and sine Green Bay isn't in, I guess they all choose the next best thing. Frankly I don't really care. I'm not a football fan.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2227704;
    Those stories are horrible. To think we used to go sledding down hills with names like "suicide hill", does it have something to do with anything like what is being used? I mean we all used those sleds that you could actually steer...Can those saucer things be steered?

Just in case anyone is wondering I did see Stepanies remark about her reflexes being as sharp as a dead cat.....
    Yep, so did we and I don't remember so much as a broken arm in the bunch of us, but all it takes is one accident, so we were just lucky.

I caught that too, Gabriel. Bad choice of words.

+ Reply to Thread