+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5834Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD
    I love the Rolling Stones more than anything in the world. No WAY would I pay $500 to meet them. Heck, their last tour tickets were OUTRAGEOUSLY priced just to sit in the concert hall and watch them perform.

I prefer my celebs from afar. Keeps the mystique going. Afraid if I meet them and they turn out to be the regular human beings they are (or worse, a**holes), it would ruin my fantasies.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I Is Stephanie
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2222104;
    I prefer my celebs from afar. Keeps the mystique going. Afraid if I meet them and they turn out to be the regular human beings they are (or worse, a**holes), it would ruin my fantasies.
    Huh. I'm the opposite. Knowing that 'my celebrities' are real people, or even better, a**holes, would only help my fantasies, as that way I know that they aren't like The Gorillaz (Cartoon rock band, for those of you who don't know.) As long as Chad Kroeger is real, I'm happy.
    Last edited by 11sstephanie; 01-31-2007 at 03:58 PM. Reason: stooped speling erer
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

Every couple of years there is an article in the local paper about some celebrity (Harrison Ford?) coming into town for flight training, and how some restaurant stays open late and comps him and his friend their meals. It makes me wonder about the restaurant owner's priorities--why comp a meal to someone who could buy the restaurant, when there are so many others who could benefit from a free meal once in a while I suppose that the same idea could be extrapolated to the whole culture of fawning over celebrities--they just aren't that special, and for every one that is humble and does good work with their fortunes, there are are at least as many unsung people in your own community who do just as much good, and with a lot less.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 11sstephanie;2222120;
    I know that they aren't like The Gorillaz (Carton rock band, for those of you who don't know.)
    I may be as old as dirt (to you!) but I know who the Gorillaz are! But I like Damon Albarn's other band Blur better... Whoo hoo! (For people who remember "Song 2.")

And the only way I'd pay $500 to hear a band play is if they performed at my house...and then vacuumed afterwards.

They comp the celebs for the publicity value, which is worth more than the price of their meals. Then they call it in to the gossip columns and have people like us talking about it. If only homeless people were more fashionable. (And yes, I'm being sarcastic...)

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2222146;
    Every couple of years there is an article in the local paper about some celebrity (Harrison Ford?) coming into town for flight training, and how some restaurant stays open late and comps him and his friend their meals. It makes me wonder about the restaurant owner's priorities--why comp a meal to someone who could buy the restaurant, when there are so many others who could benefit from a free meal once in a while I suppose that the same idea could be extrapolated to the whole culture of fawning over celebrities--they just aren't that special, and for every one that is humble and does good work with their fortunes, there are are at least as many unsung people in your own community who do just as much good, and with a lot less.
    I was reading an interview with a celebrity once (I forget which one) who was talking about how weird it was to be a celeb. They said that they used to be broke and no one would cut them any slack and then suddenly when they had money, no one charged them for anything anymore. It is strange how that works out.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I Is Stephanie
    Not even to hear them play... to catch a glimpse of them from less than 1 quarter mile away (which is about where my seats are in proximity to the stage...I got really good seats, too!)

And no, you're no where near older than dirt. The only thing I see as older than dirt, is dirt that's older than the aforementioned dirt! And the universe, can't forget the universe.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

They comp the celebs for the publicity value, which is worth more than the price of their meals.
    Yeah, that worked out--I have no idea of the name of the restaurant. I think it was Mexican food, but that only narrows it down to about 53,926 places in town

And anyway, a supermodel like you probably really rakes in the perks
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

My in-laws had a beer with Pearce (sp?) Brosnen when he was filming "Grey Owl" along the Ottawa River. Their friends had a place there, and apparently he was a pretty nice guy. I don't even know if I would have heard the words coming out of his mouth...lol.

Anyways, not to thread jack, but I tried the search function for household hints, to try to locate (and I think Newf posted it) how to clean silver by submersing it in a pot, with aluminum and baking soda I think? Does anyone know?

Sorry to divert....

ETA: holy cow...we posted at the same moment..lol.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;2222175;
    My in-laws had a beer with Pearce (sp?) Brosnen when he was filming "Grey Owl" along the Ottawa River. Their friends had a place there, and apparently he was a pretty nice guy. I don't even know if I would have heard the words coming out of his mouth...lol.
    Holy Cow, I know I wouldn't have. That's one celeb that I'd be a total groupie about.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;2222175;

Anyways, not to thread jack, but I tried the search function for household hints, to try to locate (and I think Newf posted it) how to clean silver by submersing it in a pot, with aluminum and baking soda I think? Does anyone know?

Sorry to divert....

ETA: holy cow...we posted at the same moment..lol.
    Most embarassing--I remember making the post, but I don't remember where or what the magic formula is. However, I do remember how to Google, and this sounds about right:

silver: line a pan with aluminum foil and fill with water; add a teaspoon each of baking soda and salt. Bring to a boil and immerse silver. Polish with soft cloth.
    http://www.eartheasy.com/live_nontoxic_solutions.htm
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread