+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6190Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2220593;
    I guess I'm not a huge celeb watcher. I have seen a few, just never felt the need to approach them or anything. I just find it odd to even think about trying to insert myself into a strangers life like that. Especially when they are relaxing or working.
    I feel the same way about it. I will admit that I enjoy seeing an actor as I'm passing by, carrying on with my life (they do a LOT of filming up here), but I couldn't imagine going out of my way to spy on one, in part because what's the point and in part because I would feel just too guilty about intruding on someone's life like that.

I've also felt the same way about people standing around to gawk at crime scenes or ongoing crimes. A number of years ago there was a hostage situation going on in the bank across the street from my office. The street was cordoned off to keep traffic out, but there were literally 5,000 people milling around outside for about 6 hours while this was going on. I encountered a similar situation a couple of years later when a robbery in a jewellery store in the downtown mall went wrong and escalated into a hostage situation. Again, countless hordes standing around gawking through the window of the store trying to get a good look. I don't know what irked me more about these situations - that these people apparently don't have a life, or that they were impeding police and medical personnel, or that they were risking their own lives and so consequently endangering the lives of police and medical personnel and potentially putting their families and friends through hell. Dolts.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2220617;
    I feel the same way about it. I will admit that I enjoy seeing an actor as I'm passing by, carrying on with my life (they do a LOT of filming up here), but I couldn't imagine going out of my way to spy on one, in part because what's the point and in part because I would feel just too guilty about intruding on someone's life like that.

I've also felt the same way about people standing around to gawk at crime scenes or ongoing crimes. A number of years ago there was a hostage situation going on in the bank across the street from my office. The street was cordoned off to keep traffic out, but there were literally 5,000 people milling around outside for about 6 hours while this was going on. I encountered a similar situation a couple of years later when a robbery in a jewellery store in the downtown mall went wrong and escalated into a hostage situation. Again, countless hordes standing around gawking through the window of the store trying to get a good look. I don't know what irked me more about these situations - that these people apparently don't have a life, or that they were impeding police and medical personnel, or that they were risking their own lives and so consequently endangering the lives of police and medical personnel and potentially putting their families and friends through hell. Dolts.
    Oh, I know, hate that too. Same way with car accidents and on the freeway, it can be in the other lanes going in the other direction and yet our side of the road slows down to bumper to bumper traffic because of the rubberneckers.
    It's kind of sick if you ask me. What do they want to see? I mean, an accident or crime scene is not pretty and I would NOT want to see any of that up close and personal.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I found myself stopped at a traffic light outside a bank that apparently had a situation going on inside...kind of got a clue with all of the police officers jumping out of their cards with all kinds of monster shotguns and Glocks drawn...I could not get away from that corner soon enough. GottaGoSeeYaBye!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2220640;
    I found myself stopped at a traffic light outside a bank that apparently had a situation going on inside...kind of got a clue with all of the police officers jumping out of their cards with all kinds of monster shotguns and Glocks drawn...I could not get away from that corner soon enough. GottaGoSeeYaBye!!
    See, now this means that you're sane. Plus you have enough sensitivity not to make someone else's trauma your entertainment for the day. I cannot give you a hearty enough .
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2220633;
    Oh, I know, hate that too. Same way with car accidents and on the freeway, it can be in the other lanes going in the other direction and yet our side of the road slows down to bumper to bumper traffic because of the rubberneckers.
    It's kind of sick if you ask me. What do they want to see? I mean, an accident or crime scene is not pretty and I would NOT want to see any of that up close and personal.
    Oh yeah, don't you love sitting in a traffic jam for an hour only to discover that the sight of some poor bugger changing a tire on the other side of the road is too much of a temptation and people must slow down to see how he does it .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Rattus, God created the 6 o'clock news for a reason!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2220712;
    Rattus, God created the 6 o'clock news for a reason!!
    And the show COPS!!!

I think its shows like that tho, that foster the gawkers for some reason.

I wouldn't be caught dead near any police situation as you never know what's going to happen. Like you said, I'll wait for the 6 o'clock news (but only after they do the George Clooney report for the day. )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    When they filmed "All the King's Men" here a couple of years ago, they led off the news for a week with sightings of Sean Penn. But more ridiculous than that was they were spotting him at the movie shoot. I mean, actors at the filming location? Stop the presses, this has got to be a first.

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2220617;
    I agree. I've never gone out of my way to find out where a celebrity might be (not even a block) but if I happen to spot one, I think that's cool. I don't think I'd ever approach them, though. Just not me.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I Is Stephanie
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;2220749;
    When they filmed "All the King's Men" here a couple of years ago, they led off the news for a week with sightings of Sean Penn. But more ridiculous than that was they were spotting him at the movie shoot. I mean, actors at the filming location? Stop the presses, this has got to be a first.
    No!? When are actors EVER at filming locations?

I mean, some of the things that happen in life really amaze me...

ETA: As for the celeb thing, I think it depends on which celebrity we're talking about. I probably wouldn't care either way.

Now, if we were talking about any one of the members of Nickelback, world's greatest band, I might need to re-think that statement....
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

Premium Member
    Stephanie - shouldn't you be in school? Or are you online in the library? Computers hadn't been invented yet when I was in high school so it often doesn't occur to me that it's a possibility.

+ Reply to Thread