+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4533Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

FORT Fogey
    This "frozen pipe" talk reminds me of a tip that I should pass on to anyone who lives in a cold area where pipes freeze.

To keep the pipes from freezing, turn on your "hot" and "cold" water nozzles just a tiny bit to let water trickle out of them -- especially at night when the heat's lower in the house and the temps are colder outside.

I usually remember to do this but I was lulled into complacency this year by a wicked warm winter, so yesterday morning when I went to take a shower I discovered that my pipes had frozen.

Luckily I left the valves open for a while and finally water came out (loosening the frozen section) but I now have "TRICKLE" written up on my dry-wipe board in the kitchen so I'm reminded to turn the faucets on a tiny bit at night.

Floods stink, and if a frozen pipe bursts it makes quite a mess, so I try to trickle the water and it keeps 'em from freezing.

Also remember to open cabinets under sinks to let the warm air in on especially cold nights.
    Count your blessings!

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roseskid;2219044;
    Okay, perhaps 'burst' is not the right word -- tiny pinhole crack?
    I knew what you meant, roses.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    .. I better get to the store. We're expecting an inch of snow tomorrow so I better go stock up on milk, toilet paper, eggs and bread.
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay
    ...Oh no!!! Not an inch!!!
    I'd love you see you guys up here for a real Canadian winter around -30C with a few feet of snow! We'd have so much fun!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Remember when we discussed the kids in restaurants on Pet Peeves? There was an article in the paper today about that and it said there's a coffee shop in Chicago with a sign reading Unattended children will be given an expresso and a free puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;2219360;
    Remember when we discussed the kids in restaurants on Pet Peeves? There was an article in the paper today about that and it said there's a coffee shop in Chicago with a sign reading Unattended children will be given an expresso and a free puppy.
    There's another Chicagoland restaurant that has a sign that reads:

Children left unattended and running will be towed away and stored at the owners' expense.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac;2219045;
    To keep the pipes from freezing, turn on your "hot" and "cold" water nozzles just a tiny bit to let water trickle out of them -- especially at night when the heat's lower in the house and the temps are colder outside.
    Do you have to drip both the hot and cold? We drip just one (the cold) and haven't had any problems. We had a freeze last night and will have another tonight so I have to remember to drip again.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;2219360;
    I've seen one that said unattended children will be sold as slaves. The store owner got a lot of grief about it, but she had breakables in the store and told the parents that her store was not child proof.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2219525;
    Do you have to drip both the hot and cold? We drip just one (the cold) and haven't had any problems. We had a freeze last night and will have another tonight so I have to remember to drip again.
    Since the hot and cold water flow through separate supply lines, having both drip isn't a bad idea.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2218224;
    Hey Marley, I need a cook at the restaurant. Could you handle about 30 dozen eggs per shift?
    Hee! That would be just a few more than I'm used to flipping at once.

+ Reply to Thread