+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9830Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2217842;
    Touching somewhat on your post Rattus...I'm a full figured gal myself and why is it that designers who make our plus sized clothes continue to make them with stripes going around rather than vertical??? Everyone knows stripes going around makes you look bigger but I very rarely find something with the stripes going vertical! :nono
    They're just vicious - they're the same people who design high heels with pointy toes.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;2217844;
    Rattus I wonder why they do that. I hate all that junk hanging on my clothes. Do they think you'll believe you're getting more for your money if you have a dozen extra gimmicks? I prefer my things to be very plain and I can do my own thing from there. I seldom dress up but when I do I like to wear pins from my collection, or chains or whatever, without having to work around their idea of adornment.
    Yeah, I'm the same way. It's not that I object to adornment per se, it's just that I prefer my own. I love my dangly earrings and scarves, but they look just plain ridiculous with epaulettes and ruched pockets.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;2217844;
    Rattus I wonder why they do that. I hate all that junk hanging on my clothes. Do they think you'll believe you're getting more for your money if you have a dozen extra gimmicks? I prefer my things to be very plain and I can do my own thing from there. I seldom dress up but when I do I like to wear pins from my collection, or chains or whatever, without having to work around their idea of adornment.
    The others here probably knew this ... but you have a pin collection ? And here I thought I was the only one ! I have many ... way too many !
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

All this talk about sewing is making me itch to make something! I have very basic skills with a sewing machine, but I have found that making handbags is the perfect outlet for my creative urges: doesn't require a lot of fabric or time and I end up with a bag that meets my very particular tastes. There are so many websites with ideas and how-to's that I was able to teach myself to make something as simple as this:

I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2217683;
    I did take a try at making a slipcover for a chair once for my mom. She was pleased, but I didn't think it turned out all that well. That's why I am hesitant to try making slipcovers for my living room furniture. I almost think it would be easier to just reupholster them.
    This is exactly why we ended up reupholstering our furniture. I bought an instruction booklet on making slipcovers, and after reading it got the impression it would actually be easier to reupholster. It wasn't that difficult -- we simply took the couch/chair apart, used the pieces of cloth for a pattern, them stapled it back together. Honestly, it sounds harder than it is, but I appreciate the compliments. The toughest thing about what we did was the striped couch -- lining up the stripes was a challenge.

I'd never attempt something like a prom dress or bridal dresses -- now that sounds like an impossible challenge to me.

Bbnbama, the stained glass was done by my step-dad, and he did three other windows in our dining room. When I get a chance I'll post pictures of them because he's very talented.

Waywyrd, one of Mr. Rose's aunts made the afghans many years ago, and we were thrilled the colors look so perfect in our color scheme. We're not shy about color, that's for sure.

Gut, I'm impressed with your patience for untying knots, especially in jewelry. How is it they get so tangled? I suppose it falls under the same mysteries of life that includes how socks can change colors in the wash, so that when you're sorting the clean laundry you never end up with matched pairs.

Tots, I love projects like that, and your bag is terrific! I saw some expensive Levi bags in a trendy boutique that were made from the seat of a pair of jeans. I found instructions online and made one for my daughter a few years ago that was practically free to make, and she still uses it.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2217851;
    My mom used to do things like that for the grandchildren in our family. I think I mentioned that I gave away all the baby clothes/toys friends and family had given us for this pregnancy (that sadly didn't last). But I kept all the hand-knit items that my mom had made--little booties, a blanket, a cute little cape... They're too cute! And even if I never have a chance to use them, I'd like to save those along with all my ultrasound photos etc. And, if we're very lucky, maybe we will have cause to use them one day! Hey, it could happen! Onwards, right? It's a new fabulous year!
    My oldest son is 24 now, but I still have the little pair of Red Ball Jets booties that my great aunt knitted for him.

I love the bag, tots. I also loved your living room, roses. You guys are very talented.

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;2217897;
    The others here probably knew this ... but you have a pin collection ? And here I thought I was the only one ! I have many ... way too many !
    I doubt that anyone knows it, even my family. I don't have a lot and only a few are my favorites so I pretty much stick with them. I do occasionally buy one at an estate sale or flea market though.

totoro,that is a cute bag. I like things like that a lot. Another thing I "collect" is canvas bags. I like something to remind me of trips I take, so several years ago I started buying a bag when I found one I like. Two of my favorites are The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island and one with the picture of my boyfriend and his pet on it. That's my boyfriend Paul Bunyun and his handsome Blue Ox, Babe. Oh yes, I have one of those with the big sun on it that turns pretty colors when the sun shines on it. It hasn't been any color lately, let me tell you. It looks like it's going to pour rain here.
    When we go on a trip I roll all the bags up inside one. Then as I need a bag, I have plenty.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;2218079;
    totoro,that is a cute bag. I like things like that a lot. Another thing I "collect" is canvas bags. I like something to remind me of trips I take, so several years ago I started buying a bag when I found one I like. Two of my favorites are The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island and one with the picture of my boyfriend and his pet on it. That's my boyfriend Paul Bunyun and his handsome Blue Ox, Babe. Oh yes, I have one of those with the big sun on it that turns pretty colors when the sun shines on it. It hasn't been any color lately, let me tell you. It looks like it's going to pour rain here.
    When we go on a trip I roll all the bags up inside one. Then as I need a bag, I have plenty.
    I get a lot of free bags when I go to conferences, unfortunately they all have the name of some drug or medical device on them. I do have a cute one that I got last summer at Glacier National Park, it has a moose on it. That's a great idea about rolling them up to take along, I'll have to remember that for my next trip.

I really wish I was craft-y. My mother can crochet just about anything but she never taught me and I guess to be fair I never asked. I had a sewing machine once but my husband was better on it than I was.

The most experience I have with crafts is macramae (sp?) when it hit popularity in the late 70's, early 80's and I did some cross hook or whatever it's called. You know, the yarn with the little hook thing onto a pre-imprinted pattern. I never could do embroidery (cross stich?) with those round things that hold the material while you fill in the pattern with thread. I tried but got frustrated and gave up.

I'd actually love to get a sewing machine that is simple to use and start out small with throw pillow covers or maybe a table runner. Do you think an old dog can learn new tricks? I really do need to learn a new hobby. I'm quite bored and think I need a creative outlet. There's only so much tv or reading I can do and I think sewing little things (Love the pocket book idea) would be good for me.

As for buttons, I sew those on by hand. Same for fixing a hole in pants or a shirt. Are zippers hard to put in?

Oh, I forgot the reason for my initial post. Marley, I found a backpack at a thrift store but it had the name of a company on it (not a designer label but like a drug company, I forget exactly). So I bought a cute patch and just ironed right over the wording.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 01-27-2007 at 04:37 PM.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2218127;
    I get a lot of free bags when I go to conferences, unfortunately they all have the name of some drug or medical device on them. I do have a cute one that I got last summer at Glacier National Park, it has a moose on it. That's a great idea about rolling them up to take along, I'll have to remember that for my next trip.
    My friend is a recruiter for St Jude's Hospital and she always comes home with an arm load of those "drug bags" as we call them. Occasionally they have a cute one and she nabs me one. Now I'd love one with that Moose on it. I have a little Moose, dressed in red/black checked vest and ear lapper cap, that I bought at Douglas Lodge in Lake Atasca (?). Anyway, where the Mississippi River starts. He's sitting right here close to me.

I don't know how I always end up with the car just full of stuff, but I just do. The bags help to keep things a little neater.

I made our reservations for Mackinaw City and Mackinac Island so we can see the lilacs blooming, hopefully.

Up-thread several of you were talking about finding quality clothes for the plus sized gal. I adore J.Jill catalogue (on line as well). High quality, natural fibers, beautiful colors and they even have plus sizes in tall and petite. A little on the expensive side, but something's always on sale and I don't mind spending a little extra for something that's going to last, look good, and fit right.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread