+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5837Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

My mother taught me to sew, too. She used to make all her own clothes when she was younger, and she made dresses for me and my sister when we were little and the occasional piece of clothing even when we got older. But I'm not very good at sewing, I get frustrated with the tedious cutting-out of patterns, and my seams aren't always straight. So while I do have here in my apartment an ancient, heavy sewing machine that I think was my grandmother's -- I brought it home with the intention of trying to make clothes -- I haven't even set it up. I take pants that need hemming back to Mom, and she still does make us flannel pajama pants. I'm wearing some right now.
    She also quilts, so I have one she made using pieces of my baby dresses.

On Gutmutter's knot-untying skill -- HOW do necklaces get so tied up in knots? It drives me crazy. They're just sitting there, how do they twist themselves up like that?
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    roseskid....Your sewing is great and I love that stained glass window you have!

BTW...a button is all I can sew unfortunately!!! My mom doesn't sew either...her mom did but it ended right there! I can remember my grandmother making me some clothes (especially when I was a toddler).

I'd love for someone to make me some flannel pj bottoms!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2217820;
    I'd love for someone to make me some flannel pj bottoms!
    My sister in law made me a pair of flannel PJs once and they were the cutest thing! She (and my sister) are really good with their sewing machines. My sister used to make me little outfits when I was little. My SIL made all her bridesmaids dresses for her wedding and she makes a lot of my nieces' dresses for family pictures, school dances etc. They are soooooooooo pretty.

I remember when I was growing up, the kids whose moms made them clothes hated them and always wanted store-bought clothes. Those of us who got store-bought clothes always wanted our moms to make us clothes. Funny, isn't it? My mom's also a very good sewer, but she doesn't like machines. She used to do everything by hand.

I can hem things and am a champ with buttons. But I'm not of much use at sewing beyond that...

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2217807;
    What are your strange talents?
    Heh, the untying of impossible knots is my strange still, also. I think it has to do with the amount of patience one has for tiny, seemingly trivial tasks. I've been known to sit for two hours polishing every bit of tarnish out of every nook and cranny of my silver tea set.

Anyway, I, like many of you, find sewing to be tedious, time-consuming and expensive, but I am getting really fussy about what I'm willing to wear. I have to buy my clothes at the full-figured gal shops and I swear that every single blouse in those shops cuts off at mid-hip, which is just wrong. And every coat has epaulettes and capes and three thousand buttons and flaps and...just too much stuff. Plus the price of specialty store clothing? Oy vey. Also, the people who adapt the patterns to fit larger people don't seem to understand that even though your hips may be twice the size of those of a model, it doesn't mean that your neck is, so you need to adapt proportionately.

I really, really love simplicity and natural fibres, so I've figured that making my own unadorned clothes out of good quality fabrics is the way to go. When I find fabric on sale, I stockpile it. In fact, the week after Christmas I bought 8 metres of two different types of fabric for a total of $16, with which I've made one skirt and two blouses. Not a bad deal. Though honestly, if I could have bought them instead, I would have.

Actually, I'm not psychotic on the subject of simplicity - right now I'm embroidering lilies on a copper coloured velvet swan neck shirt that I made. It will be a little busy.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Touching somewhat on your post Rattus...I'm a full figured gal myself and why is it that designers who make our plus sized clothes continue to make them with stripes going around rather than vertical??? Everyone knows stripes going around makes you look bigger but I very rarely find something with the stripes going vertical! :nono

LL I'm sure that day gowns are a thing of the past, but some grandmothers still like them. When my older grandson was a baby, I would do hand sewing while sitting by his crib when he napped. I made many of those little gowns without a single machine stitch. They really were pretty and sold well.

Rattus I wonder why they do that. I hate all that junk hanging on my clothes. Do they think you'll believe you're getting more for your money if you have a dozen extra gimmicks? I prefer my things to be very plain and I can do my own thing from there. I seldom dress up but when I do I like to wear pins from my collection, or chains or whatever, without having to work around their idea of adornment.
    Last edited by Muduh; 01-27-2007 at 11:28 AM.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;2217844;
    LL I'm sure that day gowns are a thing of the past, but some grandmothers still like them. When my older grandson was a baby, I would do hand sewing while sitting by his crib when he napped. I made many of those little gowns without a single machine stitch. They really were pretty and sold well.
    My mom used to do things like that for the grandchildren in our family. I think I mentioned that I gave away all the baby clothes/toys friends and family had given us for this pregnancy (that sadly didn't last). But I kept all the hand-knit items that my mom had made--little booties, a blanket, a cute little cape... They're too cute! And even if I never have a chance to use them, I'd like to save those along with all my ultrasound photos etc. And, if we're very lucky, maybe we will have cause to use them one day! Hey, it could happen! Onwards, right? It's a new fabulous year!

Yep, LL, this could be your year. Fingers crossed here.

bb, I have often wondered why anyone would want to call attention to their big old hips. Horizontal stripes should be outlawed in any adult clothing, don't you think? I kinda feel the same way about bright colored pants but realize that's just a personal thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;2217855;
    Yep, LL, this could be your year. Fingers crossed here.

bb, I have often wondered why anyone would want to call attention to their big old hips. Horizontal stripes should be outlawed in any adult clothing, don't you think? I kinda feel the same way about bright colored pants but realize that's just a personal thing.
    I admire the chutzpah any plus size person has that would wear bright colored pants or big flowery pants because I feel like I would just look like some giant flower garden with that stuff on!! But I have to admit, I have seen some plus size people who looked great wearing that stuff so maybe I'm just not looking in the right place!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I, too, love to untangle chains. It is easier when you use 2 safety pins. At the jewelery stores, they have these 2 pin thingies with plastic things that hold them to your fingers. Loved that! Rattus probably unties her by hand, though!

Learned sewing when I was in high school. What a blast we had! You could talk, but you had to keep it at a controlled level. I think that's what made learning to sew fun. Lot's of people struggling just like me. Great friendship bonds were formed, plus we had cute stuff that was actually wearable! That was exciting.

I hate sewing on buttons...but then I discovered my Buttoneer. Great for emergencies, or just because. Didn't have to bother with threading a needle. Took a little practice to learn how to work it. That button is there for good then!

roseskid, I'd brag on my living room if I were you!!! You've got skills (as the kids say)!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread