+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6547Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Muduh, I'm sorry you can't sew anymore.

I'm a sewer (why does that look like something a plumber would do ), too, who was taught by my mom, and Gut, my parents had the same rule: as long as I made my own clothes, they'd buy the fabric. Another rule added to it, was I had to finish one project before I could start the next. In hindsight I think that was a smart move on their part, as I tend to finish things before I run off to the next. I don't make clothes anymore for the same reasons mentioned above. I used to make Little Rose dresses, with matching dresses for her beloved Cabbage Patch doll, but damn, she grew up. I've made the cornices, pillows and awnings in these pictures, and Mr. Rose and I have reupholstered the furniture, too. Needless to say, I love sewing. Alas, I helped my daughter make some pj's once, and she absolutely hated sewing, so that was that.

Here's a quilt I made for our daughter of her old soccer shirts -- she took it to college with her.

I hope this post doesn't come across like I'm bragging, because I'm not...really. I'm just an enthusiastic sewer (there's that word again. )
    Last edited by roseskid; 01-27-2007 at 12:09 AM.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

My parents bought me a sewing machine as my 8th grade graduation gift. One of my friends showed me how to sew the summer between 7th and 8th grade and I got hooked. I had that machine for just about 30 years before I upgraded!

I used to make a lot of my clothes, as well as clothes for my little sisters all the time.

I made my prom gown when I was in high school. Imagine the horror of showing up at prom and there is another girl wearing the same exact dress in the same exact fabric as mine! We did laugh about it and shake our heads. I mean, what are the odds?

I have made curtains and drapes, pillows, wall hangings for the kids' rooms when they were little, and a lot of my Christmas decorations such as the tree shirt, stockings, stuffed wreaths, and ornaments, etc.

I did take a try at making a slipcover for a chair once for my mom. She was pleased, but I didn't think it turned out all that well. That's why I am hesitant to try making slipcovers for my living room furniture. I almost think it would be easier to just reupholster them. The cost of fabric though keeps any project like that on the back burner. I would be so afraid to spend all that money on something that looked like cr@p afterwards!

I made a few dresses for my older daughter when she was younger and like a lot of you have mentioned, it cost more than what I could have bought in a store.

When my girls were doing their Irish step-dancing, I made their "solo" dresses for their competitions. Took me months to complete!

With my younger daughter, I have made a ton of flannel pj bottoms for her and her friends, but she really has no interest in learning how to sew.

I really think it is a dying art, sadly.

roseskid, I'm impressed. I like what you've done there. I like to sew baby clothes and doll clothes mostly. I still have a few christening gowns I made and will take pictures sometime soon.

It is hard on the back. While I do enjoy sewing clothes I absolutely hate doing alterations or making curtains. My kids get so mad at me. They give me something to fix and it sits there for months. I used to love to make doll clothes when my girls were into American Girl dolls (and knit them sweaters). rosekid - your talent astounds! I tried to teach my older daughter to sew on a halloween costume. She didn't last one seam - literally! My younger daughter has her own machine, but doesn't do much with it.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 01-27-2007 at 05:40 AM.
    Count your blessings!

Roses, you're so talented! I can make some basic stuff like pillows or (easy) curtains, but that's about it. I love all the colors in your living room!

Did you crochet that zig-zag afghan, too?
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

roses, I'm impressed! I love the colors in your living room too. It looks very friendly and welcoming. I can't sew much more than a button.

We should start a thread called "strange talents". I am a savant at untying knots. This we discovered when my family used to put on (amateur) puppet shows when I was young. If someone dropped a marionette, I could have it up and running before the next scene. I just spent 20 min. undoing a knot in the very fine chain of a necklace belonging to my son's girlfriend. Yes, my children bring home knots to me from their friends. This Christmas my daughter made me unknot a ball of necklaces at a store while we were shopping. The clerk watched me like a hawk, but never thanked me or commented. I think they both just wanted to see if I could do it. (I did). What are your strange talents?
    Count your blessings!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    roseskid, wow! I especially love the quilt you made for your daughter from her old soccer shirts. It looks like a work of art! Simply gorgeous!

What are your strange talents?
    I can brighten a room just by leaving it
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Premium Member
    I can't sew, but I'm a master at flipping eggs over-easy.

+ Reply to Thread