+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4488Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2205974;
    What she did was cut some of the hair about 1/4" long while some was a bit longer and the longest was about 1 1/5" long, thereabouts. The really short strands stood straight up (like a brush cut) and supported the longer strands, sort of like shorter pieces of bamboo supporting delphiniums in the garden. It really is too bad that the look doesn't suit me - it was honestly the easiest to look after haircut I've ever had. And as my hair is very fine and straight, I would assume that it would work for a number of hair types.
    It sounds like your hair type is very similar to mine, straight and fine. If I didn't style mine I would look like Prince Valiant from the Sunday comics.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan
    I've had stray grays coming in for several years now. I usually color my hair every 2-3 months. I know gray can look really good on some people but I don't forsee letting mine grow out when it becomes more predominantly gray. As long as there is Clairol (or other brands) I'll be a customer . At least for the next 20-30 years.
    One of the main reasons I decided to stop coloring since my hair is predominantly gray now, is because the gray is pretty stubborn when there's so much of it, and it won't take the color any more. I've always had really dark hair, and the last time I colored I used an Auburn Black shade (Feria by L'Oreal) and it turned the new growth a light pinkish brown. So good luck, because the gray gets harder to color when there's so much of it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Is it any better if you get it professionally colored? But there does come that point when older women look ridiculous with a fake color, too. I guess that's when you start going for a lighter color.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I had my hair highlighted for years and quit this past spring. I was surprised to see natural "highlights" that weren't noticeable before. (Yup, highlights, that's the story I'm sticking to )
    Last edited by cricketeen; 01-16-2007 at 03:11 PM.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2206119;
    I've had stray grays coming in for several years now. I usually color my hair every 2-3 months. I know gray can look really good on some people but I don't forsee letting mine grow out when it becomes more predominantly gray. As long as there is Clairol (or other brands) I'll be a customer . At least for the next 20-30 years.
    Probably me too!

Unless I get wild and crazy and decide to dye my skunk stripe purple or hot pink. You never know.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2206126;
    One of the main reasons I decided to stop coloring since my hair is predominantly gray now, is because the gray is pretty stubborn when there's so much of it, and it won't take the color any more. I've always had really dark hair, and the last time I colored I used an Auburn Black shade (Feria by L'Oreal) and it turned the new growth a light pinkish brown. So good luck, because the gray gets harder to color when there's so much of it.
    My hair is dark brown so you may be right, it might get harder to color later on. Hopefully I have a way to go yet before that happens.

Would gray hair take to using a blonde haircolor? Wouldn't I have to bleach my hair now first and then add a blonde haircolor in order to make it blonde? I was just wondering once it turns gray, would blonde be easier to achieve since you could bypass (possibly) the bleaching step.

Premium Member
    I have a friend who told me her mother went blonde but did it very gradually over a period of several years. She gradually just used a lighter shade but since she did it very slowly it wasn't that much of a shock.

That's a good question about if the color works better if it's professionally done. I'm not going to try it because I don't want to spend the money, at the salon I go to it's about $80, and with my short hair and as fast as it seems to grow it would get pretty expensive trying to keep it up.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2206309;
    I have a friend who told me her mother went blonde but did it very gradually over a period of several years. She gradually just used a lighter shade but since she did it very slowly it wasn't that much of a shock.

That's a good question about if the color works better if it's professionally done. I'm not going to try it because I don't want to spend the money, at the salon I go to it's about $80, and with my short hair and as fast as it seems to grow it would get pretty expensive trying to keep it up.
    That's why I don't go to the salon. I've acheived good results with the home kits and quite often get compliments, so I figure that using the under $10 product at home vs the $80 salon one is the better bet and now that I've got several boxes of clearance dye, I'm really happy.

I have been told that certain medicines can cause a color resistence to the hair. I can't remember which ones, but I have heard that many factors can determine how well hair takes dye.
    if anyone is a stylist on the FORT, maybe they can check in and tell us why.

This thread has been used for quite a while for hair issues.

Hair problem or questions
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2206309;

Marley, I, too have very short hair, and I am "in the chair every 4 weeks to maintain my hair shape. It costs me about $20 every trip. I have found a shop of female barbers (but I did go to one shop with majority male barbers) who also do "beauty shop" services (none of them are licensed beauticians) like color, perms, waxes, etc. I don't know what they charge for color, since I do mine at home, also. Love that Revlon 10-minute color!! I find that barbers usually cut short hair more to my liking than most beauticians. Thank goodness men have gotten more concerned with their appearances these day. I still get a chuckle out of seeing a man getting his hair colored! You can't beat the price. No $80 chair for me, unless somebody else is paying! And they don't just do short hair; I've seen all lengths. Their clientèle is more female than male. I'm in and out in under 45 minutes, with a shampoo, blow, and style.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2203916;
    As far as I'm concerned, my parents never had sex. I'm pretty sure they got all us kids from the cabbage patch field. I don't know how I was born and managed to look so much like them.
    Yep, I was an immaculate conception myself!

My dad had some elderly male type problems that required treatment in the hospital. My mom starts to tell me about them (I am married with a child by then) and I look at her and say: "mom, please, I don't need to hear the details". She says: "Every man has a penis" My reply: "everyone but my daddy!!! Can we please not discuss it"

+ Reply to Thread