+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6997Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Change of topic here, but in another thread I read a post byAJane, and she mentioned the words Walmart and chaotic in it. That made me think of our Walmart experience yesterday afternoon. I'm not sure what the heck is going on in there, but that store has undergown a complete change since I was last there. Of course the fabric is all gone and most of the notions, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. The garden department is now a huge clearance center (UGH), the magazine and paperback section is just lined up on one shelf and the bread department is a few rolling carts, no shelves. Right in the middle of the front of the store they are building a room of some sort. It is strange, even by Walmart standards.

Premium Member
    I haven't checked to see if our Walmart still has fabrics and notions. We've got the big seasonal area that's a huge separate room on one end, I've noticed that they are starting to put out the garden stuff now that the Christmas junk is all gone. The thing I don't like is that they added a gas station, which in itself isn't a bad thing, but they put it right in the busy end of the parking lot where it interferes with the flow of traffic. Our store is way out on the east edge of town, so almost all the traffic enters the lot from the west, and that's where they put it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus
    Actually, you can get a spiky cut. When my 70-year old barber was off for his annual Greek holiday last year, I went to a salon where I told the hip young woman that I specifically did not want a spiky haircut (it really doesn't suit me), but per usual, the young woman didn't hear the middle-aged woman's request and gave her (me) a spiky cut. The cut is basically really short razor cut layers that no product on earth short of vaseline will make lie down, so I had to live unhappily with the spikes for close to two months.
    How does your hair have spikes without putting some kind of product in it to make it stick up? I have layers, but my hair is so short that when I'm styling it I can tell it's the same length all over and it lays perfectly flat if I don't put styling products in it.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 01-16-2007 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;2205954;
    Change of topic here, but in another thread I read a post byAJane, and she mentioned the words Walmart and chaotic in it. That made me think of our Walmart experience yesterday afternoon. I'm not sure what the heck is going on in there, but that store has undergown a complete change since I was last there. Of course the fabric is all gone and most of the notions, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. The garden department is now a huge clearance center (UGH), the magazine and paperback section is just lined up on one shelf and the bread department is a few rolling carts, no shelves. Right in the middle of the front of the store they are building a room of some sort. It is strange, even by Walmart standards.
    Muduh, when I was in my Walmart last week I noticed they are completely rearranging a good portion of the store. Shelves were down, merchandise was everywhere, blocking aisles. I couldn't even find some of my usual items because they were moved. I think maybe they are trying to be in line with the layouts of the newer stores. Ours also has a gas station, located near the exit which causes a huge traffic jam. This particular store only has one good exit and it really is a mess. The city is also widening the main road in front of it right now (going on about 4 years now) and that doesn't help matters. I usually plan when I go - very early on Sat. or Sun. morning or mid-afternoon in the week when it's not so bad.

The room yours is building could be for one of their rental stores for manicures, haircuts, photo dept., eyeglasses, or even in some stores large appliances. One of ours used to have a room specifically for large appliances but I guess it didn't do so well because it's gone now. Or maybe a fast food section?

We still have a fabric section (well at least last week they did). I guess I need to make another trip to see if they got all the rearranging done.

Premium Member
    Our store has a hair salon and a bank in the front. There is another little room that has been used for books/magazines, clearance, and now it's an arcade. We've got a McDonald's but it's in the back by the deli. I like the newest Omaha store, they have a Subway right up front so at least if you want fast food you have a healthier option besides McDonalds.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2205960;
    How does your hair have spikes without putting some kind of product in it to make it stick up? I have layers, but my hair is so short that when I'm styling it I can tell it's the same length all over and it lays perfectly flat if I don't put styling products in it.
    What she did was cut some of the hair about 1/4" long while some was a bit longer and the longest was about 1 1/5" long, thereabouts. The really short strands stood straight up (like a brush cut) and supported the longer strands, sort of like shorter pieces of bamboo supporting delphiniums in the garden. It really is too bad that the look doesn't suit me - it was honestly the easiest to look after haircut I've ever had. And as my hair is very fine and straight, I would assume that it would work for a number of hair types.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2205972;
    Our store has a hair salon and a bank in the front. There is another little room that has been used for books/magazines, clearance, and now it's an arcade. We've got a McDonald's but it's in the back by the deli. I like the newest Omaha store, they have a Subway right up front so at least if you want fast food you have a healthier option besides McDonalds.
    This one has a photo studio, arcade, GNC, haircutters, Build a Bear knock off and a bank right up front beside the optometrist store. They have a McDonald's in the back which I have never been in. The store in my husband's home town is the one I've been in several times lately. It has a Subway right inside which I also like. They have a much bigger bakery and deli and it is right past the Subway, in the front. I like that, too. Ours is all the way back by McDonald's.
    I'm anxious to know what that room is all about.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;2205523;
    Marley, I'm with Ajane. Gray doesn't have to look "old". On some people, it looks cool and funky. I like that girl on What Not to Wear with her gray stripe. I think it looks awesome. I'm sure yours does too.

I just had to share something my sister did on the phone tonight. I was venting about my ex and she said, "Well, enough time has passed that I feel I should officially say 'I told you so'". She did tell me when I first started dating him that he was bad news. I guess after so many years of keeping her tongue, she just had to get in the last word.
    My cousin was almost totally gray in her mid 20's. On her it was gorgeous. She had a great hairstyle and it was just beautiful on her.
    Funny that this should come up because my husband and I were talking about a teacher we both had in highschool that used to use that rinse on her gray hair and how you don't see that anymore. Some of you probably know what I'm talking about. It kind of made the gray blueish, hence the term "blue hairs" I'm glad that fad has passed with that generation as it was not very natural looking. I have a skunk stripe and am debating on letting it go or keep on coloring. I have no idea where the skunk stripe came from as no one else in my family went gray like this.

Our grocery store had a bunch of hair color on clearance back in Oct. Marked down to $3 and $4. I picked out a color I liked and bought 6 boxes of it. I am set for a few more months before I have to decide to keep on coloring or not.
    Last edited by MRD; 01-16-2007 at 12:47 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I've always thought streaks looked very pretty!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

myrosiedog, I have a skunk white streak that started back when I was in my late 20's. My other hair was brown, but it has a lot of white in it now. I used to color it. I did the whole head. When the white started showing (about 1 1/2 weeks later) I would take a cap of the toner and a cap of the color, mix them together (whatever measurement, it's a 1:1 ratio), apply to the white roots, time it for the 20 minutes a whole head application would take, then rinse out in the shower. I just got tired of doing it. I might color it again on my 50th birthday, just for giggles.

I've had stray grays coming in for several years now. I usually color my hair every 2-3 months. I know gray can look really good on some people but I don't forsee letting mine grow out when it becomes more predominantly gray. As long as there is Clairol (or other brands) I'll be a customer . At least for the next 20-30 years.

+ Reply to Thread