+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6938Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Marley, I'm with Ajane. Gray doesn't have to look "old". On some people, it looks cool and funky. I like that girl on What Not to Wear with her gray stripe. I think it looks awesome. I'm sure yours does too.

I just had to share something my sister did on the phone tonight. I was venting about my ex and she said, "Well, enough time has passed that I feel I should officially say 'I told you so'". She did tell me when I first started dating him that he was bad news. I guess after so many years of keeping her tongue, she just had to get in the last word.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I think too many people who have gray hair just let it go. I think if you keep a great cut/style you will definitely be ahead of the game and, probably, pleased with how you look! Spoil yourself a little!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My mom is always claiming my dad's going through a midlife crises. Why? I have no idea... my dad just retorts with "well, I ACCEPT that I'm aging." Meaning my dad accepts he's going gray, my mom then says."what, I just dont want to look old."

I, on the other hand, claim that since I am an art student, it is my DUTY to dye my hair! Unfortunatly, I have dark hair and do not want to bleach it to get the bright red fire engine color streaks my heart desires, so I usually dye my hair various shades of natural red.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    My manager let all her grey grow in, and she's got a very cool short, spiky haircut.
    Short and spiky is how I wear my hair. A few of my co-workers are still teasing me about how long it will take me to color it again. I haven't been back to work since my last haircut, so it will be interesting to see what they say. I kind of wish they would just shut up.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 01-15-2007 at 10:36 PM.

Marleybone I have a co-worker who, after years of coloring her hair, finally had enough. She got her already short hair cut in a very short and spiky 'do and just let the grey come in. It actually makes her look younger and the grey is much more flattering to her complexion than the light red color she had before. Grey hair definitely doesn't have to make you look old.

Of course, that's coming from someone who plucks every little silver hair she sees! I guess I'm in denial about getting older
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2205638;
    Short and spiky is how I wear my hair. A few of my co-workers are still teasing me about how long it will take me to color it again. I haven't been back to work since my last haircut, so it will be interesting to see what they say. I kind of wish they would just shut up.
    Dumb question here. Do you get a "spikey" haircut, or just a very short one? Is there a difference? What do you use to make it spike? I always have very short hair, but have never spiked it. I might like to try.

Hmmmmm, I think the redheaded gene has gone from recessive to dominant in my family!

I was always told that the recessive gene had to be in both sides of the family. Growing up one of seven, I was the only redhead. Dad was the youngest of thirteen and none of my aunts and uncles on his side was redheaded. Some of my female cousins and their daughters were though. So there had to be a redhead somewhere in dadís family tree. My maternal grandmother did have red hair but her two daughters did not. I was her only redheaded grandchild.

When my first daughter was born, one of the nurses announced, "It's a girl and she's got her mama's red hair!" Totally blew hubby and me away. Years later, when daughter number two was born, we never thought she would be a redhead. She is! Son has his father's dark brown hair.

When our granddaughter was born, she too is a redhead.

On hubbyís side of the family, they donít know where the redheaded gene came from. But one of his cousins, a non-redhead, also has two redheaded daughters.

I do know that over in Ireland, one doesn't see as many redheads anymore. Where years ago we would have blended right in, we kind of stand out in a crowd now over there!

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;2205667;
    Dumb question here. Do you get a "spikey" haircut, or just a very short one? Is there a difference? What do you use to make it spike? I always have very short hair, but have never spiked it. I might like to try.
    You don't really get a "spikey" cut, just a really short cut, it's how you style it that makes it look spikey. I use a product called Aquage. It's like a paste in a pump bottle. First I blow dry, then rub the product between my hands to warm it up a bit. My hair is also still warm from the blow dryer, it seems to work best this way. Then just work the product evenly all through your hair. It will all be standing straight up when you're done and looks a bit scary at first, but then you can scrunch it with your fingers or pull and move it around however you want. With this stuff your hair will stay wherever you put it but it's still pliable so you can still work with it later if it isn't staying how you want. No helmet hair! You can also wet it later on and restyle if you need to. It's the best product I've ever used.

Critical, I've colored my hair since high school, or about the last 35 years, so not coloring it is really a big change for me. It's almost a relief to not mess with that anymore.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 01-16-2007 at 02:05 AM.

Thanks, I think I may try that. My family may think I've gone round the bend, but I KNOW they have, so?

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2205801;
    You don't really get a "spikey" cut, just a really short cut, it's how you style it that makes it look spiky.
    Actually, you can get a spiky cut. When my 70-year old barber was off for his annual Greek holiday last year, I went to a salon where I told the hip young woman that I specifically did not want a spiky haircut (it really doesn't suit me), but per usual, the young woman didn't hear the middle-aged woman's request and gave her (me) a spiky cut. The cut is basically really short razor cut layers that no product on earth short of vaseline will make lie down, so I had to live unhappily with the spikes for close to two months.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread