+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6766Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Punkin . . . thanks for holding off on that earthquake until we left town! We felt a few years ago when we lived in San Pedro . . . so that was already off the bucket list!

Glad you're okay!

AZC
    Punkin likes this.
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I was awake when the earthquake hit, but it wasn't very bad here; more of a roller, since I'm about an hour from the epicenter. If I hadn't been awake, I probably would have slept through it. I have family members closer to American Canyon and they are fine, but definitely got woken up!
    Glad they are okay!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I hope everyone out west is fine!!
    Brooks likes this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I'm about a half hour away from the epicenter and everything's fine here. The quake did wake me up - it felt like rolling here - I waited for it to stop and it kept going. My husband slept through it, but the squirrels ran across our roof - they do that it the daytime sometimes, but have never done it at night before. I got up and went online to the usgs.gov website to see where it was to find out if we were close to the epicenter of a mild quake or were feeling the reverberations of a larger one elsewhere (I was worried that it might be a larger one in the South Bay where my son and DIL are).

In my 28 years as a Californian, I find the "rollers," though seemingly gentler, to be scarier than the "shakers" simply because they last longer or seem to.
    Punkin, JLuvs and Kip like this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Regular

I'm about an hour and a half away from Napa and it definitely woke me up. It wasn't too bad but it did seem to last a while. Of course I ran to check the kids once it was over and they were both snoring away! My sister has a house in the Napa area and they said they had a lot of items fall off shelves, pictures crooked, furniture moved. But everyone is safe so that is what is most important. They also said earlier this weekend, they had a jazz festival in the area and if the quake would have happened then, there would have been many more serious injuries so thank goodness for that. I hope everyone else in the area is doing ok.

On a side note, both kids went back to school today. I am really crossing my fingers that they both have great years. Especially my soon to be teenager 7th grader. He needs a good year. It's been a struggle socially with him for a few years.
    Punkin, Kip and inthegarden like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmomof2 View Post
    I'm about an hour and a half away from Napa and it definitely woke me up. It wasn't too bad but it did seem to last a while. Of course I ran to check the kids once it was over and they were both snoring away! My sister has a house in the Napa area and they said they had a lot of items fall off shelves, pictures crooked, furniture moved. But everyone is safe so that is what is most important. They also said earlier this weekend, they had a jazz festival in the area and if the quake would have happened then, there would have been many more serious injuries so thank goodness for that. I hope everyone else in the area is doing ok.

On a side note, both kids went back to school today. I am really crossing my fingers that they both have great years. Especially my soon to be teenager 7th grader. He needs a good year. It's been a struggle socially with him for a few years.
    I'm glad all of you that were affected by the earthquake are okay.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your son too.
    If it helps, my son struggled with fitting into the different groups through out school. He basically floated from group to group and never landed in one specific group.
    Looking back, I think the floating helped him to become an adaptable leader as an adult.
    Just keep encouraging him and asking questions. Even if he tells you to stop bugging him.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

mcmomof2 - hope your son had a good day today and continues to throughout the school year. That's a tough age for kids. I think I remember you writing about some of these issues before and it sounded like you and your husband were doing all the right things to connect with other kids. Hopefully this will be the year things fall into place for him.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmomof2 View Post
    Did you end up sending him to public or private?
    Count your blessings!

FORT Regular

Thanks Everyone. We did end up keeping him at the same school (private). We basically gave him our input and told him he would do fine in either school and went over the positives and negatives for each school. In the end, he chose to stay where he was at. I think it was more the "known" vs. the "unknown" that made his decision for him. But we are taking it one day at a time and I'm meeting with the school counselor this week to discuss. I want her to check in with him every quarter. I think he feels more comfortable and open talking with her than with me. (maybe I'm to emotional!!). He did come home and said that school was "fine". Which was much better than last year and he is going to a birthday party for a boy in his class this Friday and I like all the boys going ---boys I want him to hang out with but he doesn't have tons in common with. He has the sports in common with some of the boys at school but those tend to be the mean group. So he's kinda stuck between hanging out with the mean group and playing sports or hanging with the other boys that he doesn't have much in common with.

And Yes, I'm hoping that whatever struggles he's going through now will make him stronger and more adaptable in the future.
    Brooks, famita, Gutmutter and 4 others like this.

+ Reply to Thread