+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7193Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I have two job interviews coming up so I could really use some good luck. Cross your fingers for me and if you have any tips about things I should say or do during the interview to nail the job, please feel free to advise me!

I'm particularly excited about the interview I have Thursday because it would be a significant salary increase and be even closer to home than my current job. I only live 3 miles from work now but this one is only a few blocks from my house. I could walk there! It's still with the Department of Agriculture, just a different section.

My other interview is on Monday at the Department of Revenue. The nice thing about that job is I have a friend who already works in that building and another friend who works across the street. Plus, I used to go to that area to exercise when I was dieting so maybe being over there I could get back to exercising again. However, that job doesn't pay much more than I'm earning now.

I've been interviewing for so many years. I just want to finally get a job offer so I can stop interviewing for a while!!!

Pikachu, I'm so happy that you have these interviews coming up. I wish you the very best and hope you get the one that is right for you. I know you have worked so hard and want it so bad. I know you are so qualified. You know your stuff, that's for sure.

I would suggest that you prepare for the position and know as much about it as possible. That shows preparation and that you really know what it's all about.

Make it clear that you really want the position and are confident you are well qualified. Don't be cocky, but confident.( I hired someone once, because they told me flat out at least 3 times in the interview that they really wanted the position. It stuck with me. The young lady wasn't very qualified. In fact she had no experience, but she sure did make an impression on me. I said, hey, if she wants it that much, let's give it a shot. She turned out great and today is one of my best friends of 23 years!)

Answer the questions as best you can, without talking too much. Talking too much may cause concern that you might talk too much on the job.

Don't mention issues or have complaints about prior places you've worked. That's a biggie. The person will suspect you will talk ill of them one day if you leave their employment or think you're a complainer or trouble maker.

Dress appropriately. No low cut or tight clothes. No extremely high heels. Don't wear a lot of make up or wear perfume. They may be allergic.

Don't volunteer personal problems that could hinder your ability to work. They may think you would be out too much.

I'm sure I've left some things out, but it's what came to my mind straight away.

If there is anything your are worried about them asking you, plan it out now. Think of what you might say, just in case. What if they ask you if the salary is okay with you? Do you have any options? Isn't it a state or federal position?
    Last edited by Debb70; 07-29-2014 at 06:29 PM.
    captain and Kip like this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

It's a state job. I don't earn very much right now so anything would be an improvement. Plus, I'm just anxious to get out of this dead-end job and into a job with some potential for advancement. The longer I stay where I'm at, the more I worry that people aren't going to hire me because they think there's something wrong with me if I haven't gotten a promotion in all this time. It isn't from lack of trying! There just aren't any other clerical jobs in my section and I'm not qualified to do the work the rest of my co-workers do.

I do like to wear some makeup when I go to interviews so that I look more polished. I never wear a lot, though. Usually just some eye shadow and lip gloss.

Interview clothes are a problem right now because I gained back most of the weight I lost last year so I can't fit into my smaller clothes and I can't afford to buy new clothes. I'm trying to make do with the options I have. I've got a few dresses and skirts that are ok for interviews.

I like to wear my glasses to interviews, not because I need them to see up-close but because I'm still kind of nervous about looking people in the eye and I've found it easier when I have glasses on. They're prescription glasses, not sunglasses so they're not inappropriate for an interview.

I'll try to keep what you've said in mind. Thanks, Debb!
    Debb70 likes this.

Good Luck pikachu! `Don't be nervous. Be confident!

Good luck, Pikachu! Deb70 gave excellent advice!

I remember reading once that in a job interview it is best to emphasize what you can do for the employer, not what they can do for you. I had great success following that advice!
    Kip and Debb70 like this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Good Luck pikachu, they would be lucky to have you!!!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Pikachu, it sounds like you're ready. I think the explanation of you wanting the opportunity for advancement is good.

That's good advice from Photobabe too. Explain what you can do for them. I'm sure that government jobs are different from private ones, but I think the basics are the same. When working under someone they want to make sure you do well in the position so it makes the work product better, their life easier and things go smoothly. They want someone who can get along well with others and doesn't cause them problems. That's my take on it.

I found this site! It covers all you need to know and more. It suggest you have a friend do a trial run to prep. I thought that was a good idea. This is specifically for government jobs.

Interview tips - Federal job and internship application tips - Go Government
    Last edited by Debb70; 07-29-2014 at 07:55 PM.
    Punkin likes this.

You might mention on the one that's close to your home that you live nearby so weather and traffic issues wouldn't affect you being able to get to work. That could be a plus. Good luck!
    Kip, PGM35 and Debb70 like this.
    Count your blessings!

Simple advice, but they will remember you:
    Smile. Not a Cheshire cat smile, but a nice one.
    Look the interviewer in the eyes. Not stare them down, but look at them directly instead of at something else.
    captain, Kip and Debb70 like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

They like when you ask genuine questions about the job. If you really want it, ask what you'll be doing, who you'll be working with, maybe why the last person left.... I saw a site that had excellent questions to ask but I can't find it now! I'll keep looking!
    Debb70 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread