+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6764Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I've heard jeans can be appropriate for an interview if the people who work there wear jeans on a regular basis. However, they need to be nice-looking jeans--not ripped and torn, acid-washed, in funky colors, too tight, or too short. I think I remember them saying that on "What Not to Wear".

This guy looked like his top half was interviewing for a state job and his bottom half was interviewing for a spot in a rock band.
    I still don't think jeans are ever appropriate for a job interview. You'll never go wrong by dressing professionally for a job interview, even if it's not a suit. I hate how people want everything to be casual. I've seen people wearing shorts and a polo shirt (and even worse) at the theater for an evening performance. Is there NO occasion where people will dress up any more?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I couldn't agree more! I used to do 'dress up Fridays' at the place that I used to work - it was mostly male technologists but it was fantastic what they came up with.

Today, our 'causal Friday' my boss said when I was running our meeting 'that's great since it's you wedding day' and I released I was wearing a white eyelet dress with a rather large rhinestone headband. Best to have fun with fashion than to wear shorts!
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Jeans to weddings and funerals are common now in my experience, so no - there is no place where the common man feels the need to dress up. I'm sure high society folks still do black tie and all that, but I even saw a tourist last summer who didn't make her son take his baseball cap in a gorgeous old cathedral where there was a service going on. Drives me crazy to see men with their baseball caps on in a nice restaurant.
    Count your blessings!

Even in a not so nice restaurant Gutmutter! That's one of the (many) things I nagged my sons relentlessly about while they were growing up. And they learned. They take their caps off before they eat.
    inthegarden likes this.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Years ago, my parents got season tickets to the large performing arts center near them. It would often get the Broadway casts of shows before they went to Broadway. It was a VERY nice venue. My mom insisted that my father wear a coat and tie (their tickets were for evening performances) and he grumbled initially ....then he saw all the clods wearing jeans and polo shirts or even shorts and t-shirts. He looked really nice and classy in his dress clothes - and were talking slacks and a coat and tie, not even an actual suit - and they looked childish. He never complained about dressing appropriately again.

I remember going to a wedding where my best friend and her husband were also guests. Some of the men were dressed very casually - shorts, jeans, etc. - and my friend's husband was in a shirt and tie (Summer wedding, so really too hot for a coat). He whined about how he had to dress up while the other guys were more comfortable. Her death stare is one of the reasons we're friends.

about the baseball caps, Gut. My dad wears a baseball cap everywhere because his hair is awfully sparse on top. However, he always takes it off when he sits down to eat or goes anywhere where the cap isn't appropriate.

For years, my mom worked in a home office (her boss' home, not ours). The business sold sporting goods, so it would make sense that the employees could dress more casually. She always wore hose and heels and usually a dress or skirt/blouse combo.

I'll admit that I don't dress up for work AT ALL. Of course, I also work from my own home and I'm the only employee, so no one's going to take me to task for going to work in my pjs
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I live in SW KS and there are a lot of farms..I noticed when the boys would come into a building, they always removed their ball caps. I asked a couple how they knew to do this and all said their grandfathers taught them to remove the caps in a building.
    There's no place like home!

I only wear jeans to work on Fridays because we have an unofficial dress down policy then... and the week we do clay. I'm up and down from the potters' wheels every 5 minutes centering clay and even with an apron on, I'm covered by the end of the day. I have special shoes I leave at school and only wear clay week. Some of the teachers wear very casual clothes, a few have worn trashy clothes and the other teachers are horrified and talk behind their backs. The kids aren't allowed to wear flip flops, but some of the teachers do (we don't have a dress code per our contract) which I think is wrong, but I don't get to be fashion police.
    Photobabe likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I still don't think jeans are ever appropriate for a job interview. You'll never go wrong by dressing professionally for a job interview, even if it's not a suit. I hate how people want everything to be casual. I've seen people wearing shorts and a polo shirt (and even worse) at the theater for an evening performance. Is there NO occasion where people will dress up any more?
    SO TRUE!

It's one thing that really drives me nuts! Why is it that so many people refuse to dress appropriately for so many occasions? I think it's because they were never taught as children and teens. There is a sign posted on most of our courtroom doors that describes what people can't wear into a courtroom. STILL, they ignore it. You would not believe what I see people wear into a courtroom. I wonder what a person says to themself when they get up in the morning to go to court and they put on their short shorts, halter top, and flip flops. It boggles the mind. lol

There is rarely a funeral, wedding or reception that I attend where I don't see people in casual wear that you would expect to see at a lake, picnic or ballgame. And they think nothing of it.

Even some of my friends stretch it so they can wear jeans to every event. No matter what the function, they will say, "I'm wearing jeans." Really? Who in the heck finds jeans proper for all occasions? So boring, IMO.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

In the world of cruising, there are formal dining rooms and buffets. On formal nights, the dress code for men is jacket, tie, no jeans. For women, it's dressy (cocktail) pantsuits or fancy dresses. For me, part of the fun of cruising is the opportunity to get all gussied up. (We don't do a lot of that in Arizona.)

I hate it when I walk into the dining room on formal night, and the guy at the next table is wearing jeans and an open-neck pullover shirt. And if you discuss it on a cruise discussion board, guess who is accused of being rigid and inflexible? Yep.

Come on, people . . . go to the buffet and let the rest of us have our dress-up time.

/rant off
    Debb70 likes this.

I hate it when I walk into the dining room on formal night, and the guy at the next table is wearing jeans and an open-neck pullover shirt. And if you discuss it on a cruise discussion board, guess who is accused of being rigid and inflexible? Yep.
    I agree, if it is a formal night, I wouldn't let them in wearing jeans! go to the pizza bar, if you don't want part of the formal night,
    AZChristian and Debb70 like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread