+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5667Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    It's nice now because we have caller ID and answering machines/voice mail, but back in the day, I remember the only way we'd know who was calling was if we actually picked the phone up. Now I won't pick up the phone at home if it's a number with an area code we don't know--I figure I can listen to the voice mail and call them back if necessary. Part of the reason is that our old phone number used to be someone else's as well and I'm tired of answering the same questions about it. Our voice mail announces who we are...but I think some people just don't listen to it and leave a message anyway...I'll say, "You've reached the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Lois Lane. Please leave a message," and some callers will still say, "Hi, can Mr. Smith call me back about his order." Um, OK. Not!

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2197104;
    ....RING: Hello Caller: Is Jane Kowalski there?\ Me:NO, hasn't been here for X amount of timeCaller: Do you know where she went ME: I hope to hell because I'm sick of you people calling me.
    I finally did the answering machine thing that I saw someone else here did also.
    Did you say Jane Kowalski? I think I know her!

Wow, interesting to see how many wicked problems people get with collection agencies when it has absolutely nothing to do with them at all. I would sure want someone to pay for my lawyer if I had to get one to clear myself of something I didn't even do. That would be infuriating! nlmcp: It's too bad your friend had to get to that point of hiring a lawyer.

I have an unlisted phone number and even though I wouldn't mind it being public now, I don't want all the hassels I hear about having a regular number. I still get some soliciting and wrong numbers, but not many at all.

myrosiedog: Thanks for the link. I'm joining the FM group.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2197208;
    I have an unlisted phone number and even though I wouldn't mind it being public now, I don't want all the hassels I hear about having a regular number. I still get some soliciting and wrong numbers, but not many at all.
    We have an unlisted # at home AND we're on the national "DO NOT CALL" registry. But that doesn't mean that the person who had the # before us had an unlisted #, so we still get the wrong numbers. Sigh.

They say that victims of identity fraud can spend tends of thousands of dollars and hundreds of man hours trying to clear up their credit records. It's ridiculous! Part of the problem is that employers still use our social secuity #s for everything from employee ID numbers, to insurance card #s, etc. They should make it something more ambigous so it's not so easy to find out someone's social security #.

This was a topic in the pet peeves thread that I think might be broaching on Koffee Klatch stuff so I thought I would post here...

I think what myrosiedog was saying--and I agree is--is that yes, people go into teaching because they love it, but not all of them can remain in the profession because they can't afford to support themselves or their families on the generally dismal salaries teachers are paid. I know a few teachers at some of the better schools here who make a really nice salary--but it took them a long time to work their way up to that pay. My friends who became lawyers or engineers were outearning them from the get-go right out of college or graduate school. I also think that when you offer a higher salary, you have a better pool of people to choose from. Some people go into their fields because they love it. Others pick fields they know will give them financial security. Neither are wrong and ideally the perfect job would be a blend of both.

I guess the teachers here get paid pretty well. MY girlfriend is a teacher and she makes a great salary. They sure seem to have good working conditions too.

Most of the people I know who are teachers in my area have their Masters degree and even working on additional certifications because the pay isn't so good. Actually, I'd like to rephrase that. I think the pay is actually decent, however they split it up over a 12 month period so they can pay you in the summer (there is no alternative to get paid 9 months instead of 12). Then when you subtract insurance, 401k-type and other retirement savings, you can be looking at a small monthly check. Sure, you don't have to work in the summer but if the monthly pay is not enough the 9 months you're working, it's still not going to be enough during the 3 you're not. And not everyone can work summer school or take on other jobs in the summer. Many people become teachers to stay home with their kids in the summer. The pay is probably pretty good when added to a two income household but it's not always so good if you're a single trying to make ends meet.

One of the reasons I'm unemployed right now is that I just quit a part-time job at a school where I was an hourly employee and they still took out money so they could pay me in the summer. I was barely bringing home enough money for a car payment and knew I couldn't stay. Now I'm making zero but at least I know the opportunity to make more is just around the corner.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 01-07-2007 at 09:17 AM.

Any teacher who's making good money has been at it a loooong time and gotten advanced certification. Those of us who come into it later in life have a hard time advancing up the pay scale. I know a lot of teachers with 2nd jobs.
    Count your blessings!

The same can be said for social workers, I've been one for 20 years, I work as a supervisor and I'm getting a second job. I've generally over the years have worked two jobs. Full time social work jobs really don't pay well, but you get insurance. Part time social work jobs pay better but the pay isn't garenteed.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

It really ticks me off the society's value of teachers is so low that it's OK to pay them so little (compared to other fields) and get away with it for this long. And nowadays, teachers also are expected to do the jobs that parents won't do in their own homes. Back when I was a kid, no one sued if a teacher grabbed a kid by the neck collar and dragged him to the principal's office for misbehaving. No, beating children wasn't (and should never be) allowed. But kids who hit teachers or threatened other kids were dealt with accordingly at school--and then again later at home by the parents (which was often worse). These days, you see kids mouthing off to teachers and parents refuse to discipline them at home: "My little angel wouldn't do that." They live in a total state of denial. I remember my parents would punish my brother if he fought with a classmate, regardless of who started it. I also remember that my parents made sure we did our homework, checked our homework and helped us keep up with school regardless of whether we wanted to or not. They never pulled us out of school so we could go on vacation (that was saved for school breaks) and God help us if we came home with a note from the teacher that asked for a student-teacher conference to "discuss" any inappropriate behavior. I probably sound like I grew up in a scary household, huh? I didn't.

We are lucky that our little one is in a great school with caring and educated teachers. The older one wasn't so lucky once he got to high school. He was always in accelerated classes, but if the teacher isn't up to par, what good is that? He is an inquisitive kid and pretty much taught himself what he needed to know. I'm sure their pay was about the same though. That's what bugs me.

+ Reply to Thread