+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6756Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'm sooooo tired and frustrated. I've had a juvenile opossum in my house for about a week. I've left doors open, removed all cat food from easy access - putting it out in the mud room with house and outside doors open to try and lure him out. He is not afraid of the cats and they steer clear of him. He has no compunction nosing around behind my bed, so I've been "sleeping" on an oversized soft chair the last two nights. I got a Havahart trap which it went into multiple times last night without springing the door. I hate to move on to poison, but I'm going to be leaving for a week in a couple of days and I'll have to leave cat food out then. My elderly neighbor is coming daily to give them canned food and clean water and I don't want her to run into him. She would freak out. Right now I have re-set the trap with the cat food wrapped in a twist of newspaper so he'll have to stand on the trip platform to work at getting it, and I have the catch set as loosely as I can get it rather than just pushed in the way it was last night. But I think my window for today has closed, because I almost never see it during the day. Fingers crossed for tonight. Wish me luck!!!
    Gutmutter Do you have the trap covered with a towel? They can reach through the wire and get to the food. What has worked for me is to take a can of cat food and instead of opening the lid, turn it over and punch holes in the bottom. Then with the holes on top, push the can to the very back of the trap. It will be able to smell the food but won't be able to get any. It will have to fight with the can and this will trip the trap.

If your neighbor comes during the day, she probably won't see the opossum.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 07-01-2014 at 01:24 PM.

Several years ago we had two little baby possums in the house (they may be ugly adults, but they're cute as heck when babies). When they saw me looking at them they would freeze, and after looking away a minute, they'd be gone. All it took was leaving a door open at night and taking away the cat food to get them gone back to mama. The cats were completely unfazed by them. I hope you can solve this distressing problem before going away!
    Kip likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    Gutmutter Do you have the trap covered with a towel? They can reach through the wire and get to the food. What has worked for me is to take a can of cat food and instead of opening the lid, turn it over and punch holes in the bottom. Then with the holes on top, push the can to the very back of the trap. It will be able to smell the food but won't be able to get any. It will have to fight with the can and this will trip the trap.

If your neighbor comes during the day, she probably won't see the opossum.
    I love the tip about the upside down cat food can. I'll try that tonight. It doesn't have any trouble going in and out of the trap, though, it just doesn't trip it for some reason. Good point about the neighbor coming during the day.
    My daughter in Boston called a little while ago. The woman next door to her was murdered during a burglary 2 nights ago and neighbors thought the shots were fireworks so didn't report them. She wasn't found until yesterday. Am I freaked out? Umm... more than a little!
    Punkin, Kip and Debb70 like this.
    Count your blessings!

Oh my gosh, that is terrifying Gut!!!

You probably already know this but opossums are nocturnal. That's why you won't see him during the day, unless you happen upon his hiding place & disturb him. They find a good hiding place & hide out & sleep during the day & usually roam & scavage for food at night.
    The internet is a wonderful thing.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I've been in contact with Princess cruise lines about our upcoming vow renewal . . . and am updating what they told me here, since several of you plan to "attend" online.

I called Princess because the “webcam” on the Star Princess hasn’t been working lately. The young man I spoke to said they’re going to send an e-mail to the ship, but cautioned me that, even if the cam is operational . . .

- The ceremony might not be in the chapel, although we can try to sweet talk the captain into doing it there. (I can be very persuasive.) Even if it’s not in the chapel, if the camera is running, hubby and I could plan to go there at a specific time to wave at anyone who wants to watch online.

- Ceremonies are held while the ship is at sea, and internet coverage can be spotty at best.

It sounded like they didn’t want me to be disappointed if plans don’t come together. My back-up plan is to find a youngster to videoptape it with my Kindle fire, and then upload it to Youtube – and then provide a link to anyone who wants to see it, even if it’s after the fact.

Sometimes, the best laid plans of mice, men, and old people . . .
    Punkin, Ellen, Kip and 4 others like this.

Got him! I'll take him to a park 20 minutes away later today. I don't know what local laws are about relocating opossums but I'm not getting officials involved. I can't leave for a week with an elderly woman coming in to feed the cats and risk him coming back here. The cats have been avoiding the house during this whole ordeal. Somehow they knew the danger was over and all 3 are inside now.
    Count your blessings!

Gut-so thankful he's in custody!! (how's your daughter?)

AZC-you are the ultimate in planning-we'll enjoy your set-up...can't wait!!

Thanks for asking about my daughter. As far as I know, she's fine. Her work schedule makes it difficult to contact her by phone.
    I have some pre-trip errands to run today and then I'm heading to Ohio for the 4th.
    PGM35 and Cootie like this.
    Count your blessings!

Gut, I hope you and all those traveling have a safe and wonderful trip for the 4th! I'm not going anywhere if I can help it. I will watch some celebrations on tv. It's so hot in NC, (90's) that outdoor activities are not very enjoyable right now. lol

I took the cat to the rescue yesterday. Everyone was great and so helpful. What a relief.
    They will keep her there for a couple of weeks, then have her fostered.

I visited my cousin and she is doing so much better. She loves her new roommate situation and is really adjusting well. She seems so much happier. I'm so grateful!

Now, I'm hoping to help my family get the house for my nephew finished. DIY projects are very time consuming!
    Punkin, Brooks, PGM35 and 3 others like this.

+ Reply to Thread